Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: God, I love AAISP sooo much. That's all I wanted to say really.  (Read 10179 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: God, I love AAISP sooo much. That's all I wanted to say really.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »

@mrprops - your allotment is up to you, you can buy as many units as you need. Home::1 and Office::1 (and whatever is forthcoming) aren't the only possibilities. I just use the traditional units-based tariff, rightly or wrongly, where I buy 10 units a month, but that's too much as I never seem to end up using it all even though I do a bit of live streaming, Netflix iPlayer and so in, and download a huge amount of movies and tv from Amazon and Apple over night.

Also remember there's the overnight 1000GB per unit deal on at the moment, Which I am making very full use of.

Wish there were more good download manager apps around that could do timed and gated downloads fir this reason.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »

The cheapest option for me would still work out at £60/month(I currently pay £19.99 unlimited 80/20 FTTC) and I'd have to reduce my usage to achieve that. Didn't Adrian say new packages were arriving soon? Not that I expect AA to do anything spectacular.

EDIT:

Then we have some new stuff which I hope we can start next month - no promises, but it may finally mean some new broadband packages which I am quiet sure some people will like. Just watch this space.

http://www.revk.uk/2015/06/busy-week.html

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »

Such a shame they're so damn expensive.
Yes .
They are as expensive as Eclipse  for FTTC. :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »

The three time-of day charging rate bands mean A&A gets either a lot more expensive, or vastly cheaper depending on whether or not you have to use the service during office hours or can use the overnight bands.

How many people could save vast amounts by keeping their heavy usage to the cheaper times? Or would this not fit in with your habits?

I'm using the service in the daytime every day, but I make the maximum possible usage of the overnight band with flat-out downloads and then the whole weekend has scattered downloads when it's not going to inconvenience my wife by slowing her down.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »

I used to be on a 60GB package on PN many years ago, and it was such a pain trying to organise things to take advantage of the free overnight data period, moving to unlimited was the best thing I ever did internet wise. No need to worry what we download or upload or when we do it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »

quite understand Ronski’s point.

But so-called unlimited deals from ISPs put me off. The reason is that theres no solid funding underlying the model, excessive usage doesn't attract extra funding to keep the network always truly fast and wilt-free. A&A can fund heavier and heavier usage properly because it is being paid for, so they can always burst their network, unless they're simply caught out. It's actually attractive to me to see that things aren't based on a free-lunch, something for nothing financial model.

Users like having freebies and good deals, and most are presumably happy with the slowness and wilt that follows inevitably from this. Some will moan about the slowness but apathy keeps them staying with that service. History proves it's possible to survive financially using this under-investment model because users aren't sufficiently bothered. Not for me though. My service is unbelievably slow because of the length of my line, and I certainly am not willing to pay for wilt as well as having to live with the limited top speed.

That's just an insight into what I value and how I think. Full speed all the time, no excuses ever.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »

Been with AA for nearly a year now,being a non techie good technical support was paramount to my requirements.The few times I have to call them they have been superb,you get updates by text message,email and also social media if you use it,plus they have their own online chat system.
It is a bit pricey compared to some isps especially with all the offers and discounts to entice new users,but imo there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Until I hopefully get an opportunity to get FTTC back then I can't see me leaving,even then if finances permit I shall stay.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:35 PM »

A&A gave me the reason why, when I moved here, my Plusnet 20CN Max Premium line dropped when I had an incoming call. Only when I passed that information to Plusnet did it get fixed - Plusnet didn't know about the issue with Max Premium and Marconi exchange equipment. In fact it got worse than that, Plusnet thought there was only Marconi equipment whereas A&A knew there was another make also present which worked.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »

@jelv what’s the background to this jelv. You were/are a Plusnet user?

How did you come to be talking to A&A?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:31 AM »

I re-read my first posting in this thread, and I realised that things have changed a bit since then, back in 2012. I now have a third line IP-bonded into the group. The Firebrick router ties the three incoming pipes together, handles IPv6 and IPv4 routing and firewalling, and deals with upstream load-sharing across the three lines. I have an adequate sized block of IPv4 addresses (no NAT) and a /48 for IPv6.

As for modems, I now have three DLink DSL-320B devices which are currently ds-syncing ~2100 ds, anyway in the BTW IP profile 1750 band, occasionally touching 2272 but this is only sustained for a week or so, sometimes more, sometimes less. Combined ds ip throughput  comes out at something around 5.2 Mbps according to the speed tester http://speedof.me, other speed testers are lower. US throughput varies between lines, and combined US IP throughput varies wildly according to which speed tester is chosen, but is in excess of 700 kbps.

I’m still stuck with BTW 20CN ADSL1, no choices, no LLU on offer at this exchange. I take the BTW IPStream Max Premium option on all three lines, which gives me traffic priority on the A&A network as well as BTW’s. I also have BT Enhanced Care on one line as a just-in-case.

I also now have an A&A 3G SIM (on the Three network) which routes a single static IPv4 from an iPad straight through to the A&A network, again no NAT or mobile network private addressing in the way. This just works very cleanly and reliably, no fuss and has the same continuous quality monitoring as A&A’s DSL lines.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »

@jelv what’s the background to this jelv. You were/are a Plusnet user?

How did you come to be talking to A&A?

I've been a Plusnet user since 2002. When I moved to my current house it was on to Max Premium as I need the better upload speed than the standard on 20CN exchanges. Immediately I started experiencing disconnections and it didn't take long to identify that they were when the phone rang for an incoming call. I had several engineer visits which confirmed the issue (they saw loads of errors on their test equipment when the phone rang), including one engineer who tested my line inside the exchange and saw the same issue. I contacted AAISP regarding the possibility of moving to them under their http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-trial.html scheme. They immediately identified the issue as being Max Premium connected to Marconi exchange equipment - a well known issue (to them anyway).

Plusnet's next step was to downgrade me to standard Max as when they were under the impression that there was only Marconi equipment in the exchange. This stopped the disconnections and confirmed the issue was Max Premium. AAISP had told me their was definitely alternative equipment in the exchange and eventually I persuaded Plusnet to get me moved across and put back on the Max Premium.

If it hadn't been for the information I got from AAISP and just left to Plusnet I would have been left with the option of Premium with disconnections or lose the faster upload.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »

@jelv that's a brilliant story. Above and beyond the call.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything