Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 123REG is DOWN1!!!  (Read 10180 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
123REG is DOWN1!!!
« on: November 17, 2007, 11:45:34 PM »

I recently noticed my site was going down quite a bit. That was then followed by my mails servers unreachable but that was just the start. I restarted all my servers, still down.

So i checked www.123reg.co.uk but i got no site just an error. It has been up and down now for nearly 4 days!

What sort of people run this company? There is no status page, no notice and to top it of support is only available MON-FRI!!!

I have 5 domains i need to move but i have no control panel to make the switch! I don't want to do anything when there site is up and down like a yoyo.

I think it might be a DDOS because it is up and down but that is just a speculation.

PS. Anyone recommend any descent DNS hosts?

EDIT: I have found a status page: http://www.123-reg.co.uk/status.pl but it just says there are no problems.

Thats funny because when i ping: mail.frufc.com;mail2.frufc.com;frufc.com;the-barlows.co.uk;jab-ns.net;bernard-bligh.co.uk ect ect... THEY ARE ALL DOWN!  :wall:

James
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:13:27 AM by jabns »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 123REG is DOWN1!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:16:58 AM »

It's owned by Pipex of course, and I gather from elsewhere that half of the Pipex network has been down, not just 123-reg. Pipex have now acknowledged that a problem exists, but claim it started only yesterday. Others have said the same as you, that it's been giving trouble for several days.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »

You just want DNS yes?

If so I've always found www.zoneedit.com very reliable. In fact I can't remember a total outage in the last 6 years.

This assumes of course that you can get 123-reg to change the nameservers (to zoneedit's) for your domains and leave them like that. I emphasise that as I found every time 1and1 billed me (annually) they also reset the nameservers to their own. They don't now after I deployed the cluestick ;)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:04:43 PM »

Just to say I've never had a problem with any of my 123reg domains where I've changed the nameservers.
Chris

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »

Yeah this was just a typical 1and1 problem - just like the way they still keep resetting the Nominet whois data on personal domains every time I renew. Mildly irritating having to find the Nominet login details to opt-out again every year. Still better the devil you know sometimes eh? :D

jabns - zoneedit will do 5 zones for free (defined usage limits apply) but even if you do have to pay they are reliable.

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:57:03 PM »

Cheers for the input guys. It is back up now but i am still getting random timeouts. I will check out zone edit now.

Thanks,
James