Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upgrading to "Superfast"  (Read 7964 times)

srt

• Reg Member
Upgrading to "Superfast"
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »

Hi all,
Not had much need to be here of late :)
I have resisted the urge to "fiddle" with the BT modem regarding speed monitoring although I have seen some odd drops here and there ::)
My reason for posting is I just took up BT's "offer" to upgrade to superfast at no extra charge!
How kind of them is that - just an added bit of contract :-X
Well its all due to kick off on Tuesday so I await with baited breath.
I have to say that speedtests (various) at present seem all over the show so might BT's be best?
My desktop is temp out of use at mo owing to new graphics card delay and I just sold my old one :blush:
Regards.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Upgrading to "Superfast"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »

Assuming you are referring to the 40/10 to 80/20 upgrade on offer from Beatie (which I'm sure you are), you might be disappointed. I have seen reports where the throughput has been lower on the upgraded product.

Unless your throughput is consistently at the maximum for the 40/10 product, you may find that after testing the 80/20 product a request to downgrade back to 40/10 may be in order.

At present the performance on 80/20 is very much suck it and see:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:30 PM »

My reason for posting is I just took up BT's "offer" to upgrade to superfast at no extra charge!
How kind of them is that - just an added bit of contract :-X
Hmmm

When I rang to ask about this, I was told that to double my speed I would have to upgrade to Infinity 2. This would also double my data download volume allowance, but would cost an extra £8 per month.

As I don't need the extra download capacity I declined. Also, according to speedtest.net I get 37Mb/s, which is fast enough.

However, there was an option to increase my upload speed, for free. I signed up for this, and my upload speed jumped from 1.7Mb/s to 8Mb/s. Useful for when I back up my data online.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

Unless your throughput is consistently at the maximum for the 40/10 product, you may find that after testing the 80/20 product a request to downgrade back to 40/10 may be in order.

Quite a few users on Plusnet's 80/20 trials who previously achieved the Full Monty from their 40/2 and/or 40/10 services have seen musch worse downstream throughput speeds on the 80/20 trial (20Mb & lower):-

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102776.0.html

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

<snip>

However, there was an option to increase my upload speed, for free. I signed up for this, and my upload speed jumped from 1.7Mb/s to 8Mb/s.

<snip>

Ah, so you were on the 40/2 product and have been given a free upgrade to the 40/10 product.  :)

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

Ah, so you were on the 40/2 product and have been given a free upgrade to the 40/10 product.  :)
Yes, that would appear to be the case.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »

I suspect that the 40/2 product will be withdrawn after all current users have been "upped" to 40/10. It makes sense, really, what with 80/20 being Beatie's current "headline grabbing" product.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »

Hi:

I recently migrated from ADSL to Infinity Option 2. BT's forecast was for the full 40Mb and I actually achieve 38Mb whch is near enough. My property is 240 metres from the fibre cabinet.

I enquired about the upgrade and was quoted a forecast speed of 50Mb. Bearing in mind the short distance from the cabinet and the current speed I already get I was surprised that it was not closer to the 80Mb figure. So I started to get a bad feeling over this upgrade (very scientific I know!) so declined.

After reading other peoples experiences I'm glad I did decline.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:32:17 PM by bbnovice »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:53 AM »

<snip>
My property is 240 metres from the fibre cabinet.

I enquired about the upgrade and was quoted a forecast speed of 50Mb.
<snip>

If you could use the extra throughput, then go for it. The forecast speed will be output from Beatie's "guesstimator", which is know to be somewhat conservative in its predictions.

My feeling is that with your current throughput and VDSL2 distance, you could achieve ~70 - 74 Mbps DS. 

Jonny

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »

At present the performance on 80/20 is very much suck it and see:-\

Since its inception less than two weeks ago, there seems to be hundreds of individual posts on BT Forum getting less than they had before. Some even less than dial up.

Think i am going to cancel the order and go with a decent ISP that has some form of customer service.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »

Best of luck, Johnny.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »

@ BKK,

I am sure your advice re the guestimator in this instance is very sound indeed.

However, just in case a casual reader doesn't study this splendid web site thoroughly, perhaps we should emphasise the guestimator bit.

Avid readers will know we still await any fibre services in Ewhurst.

I am trying to establish some documentation upon the algorithm as the guestimator clearly doesn't make much sense in our circumstances everywhere.

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?p=2243#comment-255

One highly respected ISP has even advised us to ignore the guestimator totally until we have active services for it to learn from.

Kind regards,
Walter

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »

And one further thing.....

I'm very surprised at the volatility of actual speeds achieved in practice with Infinity 2. The IP profile is 38/9, and when I tested 10 minutes ago using the BT speedtester (the production version not the beta) I got 32/9. However I have often seen it as low as 12/7, but then another test an hour or so later may produce results much closer to the IP profile.

I don't know if this typical, a line fault or there are massive network contention issues in the background, but the speed variations can be quite noticeable as I work (I work from home).

However, overall I'm a satisfied Infinity cutstomer so far. The speed is generally acceptable for my needs (much improved on the flaky ADSL 4mb) and the connection is stable (touch wood!)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:24:41 PM by bbnovice »

Jonny

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »

I was unable to get on bt speedtester this morning, pages timed out.
Early afternoon got in, eventually reasonable speed came back but the extra check dont work.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »

@Jonny -- Perhaps you would like to tell us about your current ISP and the service you obtain . . .

Remember, there are many service providers using the Openreach GEA product -- you don't have to use BT Retail's Infinity;)

Pages: [1] 2

anything