Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Significant increase in attenuation after moving NID/increasing cable length.  (Read 2101 times)

Rocket

• Just arrived

Hi.  Firstly, apologies for not being able to contribute much on these forums due to a lack of wisdom but I try to make up for it on subjects I know something about!

I've had a house wired in France.  France Telecom pulled 40m of cable from the neighbourhood box through to my garage to what I guess is a NID? (see ADSLDetail.jpg) I plugged in the router and got a downstream attenuation of 27dB.

The electrician then attached an extra 30m of cable (supplied by France Telecom) to the original cable (via a pair of push-in connectors) in order to relocate the NID to inside the house.  With this new configuration I get 49dB of attenuation (although a much more conveniently located router!)

Am I right that the increase will be due to a combination of interference, extra cable, the cable joint and  the rewiring of NID?  What would you suggest the most significant cause to be?  I'd like to know what I'm talking about before asking the electrician to redo anything in order to prevent a gallic shrug.  My guess would be the push-in connectors but I don't really know what I'm talking about!

Would I be best off leaving the router in the garage and pulling a 30m Cat5e ethernet cable through to a second router instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

That large increase in attenuation must be due to a defect in the extended wiring, probably the connectors used to join the cables together. It could even be that one of the two wires isn't connected at all - ADSL can still work under such conditions, but with much worse performance. I would call the electrician back and insist that he does the job properly.
  Eric

Rocket

• Just arrived

Thanks Roseway.

That gives me the confidence to ask for the job to be redone...

anything