Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Cable Pairs - A Question  (Read 41406 times)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
Re: Cable Pairs - A Question
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »

Get the stats from your neighbours WLR3 in the test socket so you can get straight results directly to the line. I would do the same for all the SVBN neighbours you have got given they have a test socket or not.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

thing is its bad enough asking them If i can install my router and run tests on my or their laptop...never mind whipping me posi driver out and start dis-mantling their sockets hehe - their face would be a sight if I asked them if I could do that (when they dont know anything about test sockets and may worry I will break their phone lines)

the BT neighbour was concerned that I could be accesing his private stuff and said I could be taking bank details and he would be none the wiser...laughing about it of course but you could tell he had real concern...so much so that we had to create a new password in his Home Hub in order to get access and he wouldnt trust me with it lol.... not that Iam untrustworthy....just he is paranoid and has every right too be...lol

anyway, I will see what I can do...
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »

Bring a BT phone book with you the test socket procedures are on page 7. Show your neighbours that and the fact it is in the BT phone book they will gain more trust in you removing the lower half of there socket.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »

OH I didnt know that about the BT Book hehe, anyway they did not have any extensions (other than the one who is on the other estate, I may ask of I can go around again sometime)

anyway, I went to my two neighbours houses today, one on SVBN and other on WLR3 (and I have stats from the other WLR3 in other estate behind me) and I have popped mine and theirs QLN stats together and just take a look (and bare in mind when I was on WLR3 it was perfect)...both SVBN ones a full of noise and both WLR3 ones have barely any noise at all affecting the connections.

the Blue line represents the same points in each graph , -125dBm , so take note of differences in amounts of noise above that line, as you can see the SVBN users have wayyyy more noise on the line greatly affecting our connections, yet the WLR3 users are barely affected, the WLR3 on bottom left had a 16.5Mb connection which is spot on for her line, the one on right has a long line and has dodgy internal wiring..!!

http://i.imgur.com/FkIpl.jpg

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »

Aha! Good stuff  :) To aid comparison, maybe plot using the same scale on the y-axis, or better, plot them over each other (in different colours) using the 'multiplot' command of GNUPlot :-)

cheers, a

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

Aha! Good stuff  :) To aid comparison, maybe plot using the same scale on the y-axis, or better, plot them over each other (in different colours) using the 'multiplot' command of GNUPlot :-)

cheers, a

Here's how to plot them all at the same scale (-50 to -150).

Replace the existing equivalent section within ADSLGRAPH.BAT with this or just add the text shown in red:-

:QLN_GNP
   echo set terminal png small > qln.gnp
   echo set title 'ADSL - Quiet Line Noise (QLN)' >> qln.gnp
   echo set timestamp 'Data obtained %OBSTAMP%            Version %VERSION%                Graph created %%d/%%m/%%y %%H:%%M' 5,-1 >> qln.gnp
   echo set nokey >> qln.gnp
   echo set xlabel 'Tone (subcarrier index - 4.3125KHz spacing)' >> qln.gnp
   echo set ylabel 'QLN (dBm/Hz)' >> qln.gnp

if %MODE% EQU G.DMT (
      echo set xrange [0:255] >> QLN.gnp
   )   

rem ****** ADSL2+ ******
   if %MODE% EQU ADSL2+ (   

echo set xrange [0:515] >> qln.gnp
   )

echo set yrange [-150:-50] >> qln.gnp   
   echo set xtics out border nomirror 50 >> qln.gnp
   echo set ytics axis nomirror autofreq >> qln.gnp
   echo set mxtics 5 >> qln.gnp
rem   echo plot 'QLN.txt' w boxes fs solid >> qln.gnp
   echo plot 'QLN.txt' w lines >> qln.gnp

goto :eof
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:18:11 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »

thanks guys... I had thought about overlapping in diff colours.. I was gunna see if I could do it on Photoscape or GIMP

I will have a bash at plotting them on same scale :) that will be better than me having to draw a blue line

oh asbokid...any info on the SVBN noise on left? is that PSU..?  hers is much worse than mine and I think she has internal issues adding to it

edit: how do i get it to re-graph the log then?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:36:39 PM by snadge »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »

thanks guys... I had thought about overlapping in diff colours.. I was gunna see if I could do it on Photoscape or GIMP

I will have a bash at plotting them on same scale :) that will be better than me having to draw a blue line

oh asbokid...any info on the SVBN noise on left? is that PSU..?  hers is much worse than mine and I think she has internal issues adding to it

edit: how do i get it to re-graph the log then?

Just drag & drop the log onto ADSLGRAPH.BAT.

Make sure each log is in a different folder to ensure you don't overwrite the files (although they should all have their own date/timestamp).

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »

I thought so, but when i do that with old or new ADSLGRAPH.BAT file the cmd window just flicks up for fraction of a second

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »

I thought so, but when i do that with old or new ADSLGRAPH.BAT file the cmd window just flicks up for fraction of a second

I just did it with someone else's log using the latest ADSLGRAPH.BAT (fixed Y axis at -70 & also at -50 to see the differences)

If you want to post the logs I'll check if they still plot at my end.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

Here's another version of ADSLGRAPH.BAT

I have added some grid lines to QLN & Hlog graphs.

Just a thought:-

If you are still struggling to replot the logs, you have to make sure there are no spaces in any file or folder names, otherwise that can cause CMD just to flick up for a split second.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:20:50 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »

ok i moved the log into same folder as bat file and it worked... i will replot them and stick them together again like before

thanks for that BA...really appreciate it :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »

CHECK THIS OUT!!!! hehe spent hours doing these - i changed the script to make -130dBm to be the base and -60dBm to be ceiling to make it look more effective...

http://i.imgur.com/2HtfE.jpg

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:31 AM »

First class job, snadge!

Which is your line? Top Left?

Top Right is strange.  Those two notable noise troughs centred around DMT#95 and DMT#185 are unusual.

cheers, a

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »

First class job, snadge!

Which is your line? Top Left?

Top Right is strange.  Those two notable noise troughs centred around DMT#95 and DMT#185 are unusual.

cheers, a

YEP mine is top left... I wanted to ask you about the top right one (my neighbour 2 doors down) - that noise curve, I noticed on someone else who had similar curve you said it looked like PSU noise..is that the case here? she obviously has it much worse than me?  I want to have a look at the JB on the end, thing is my nrighbour who is on BT and on same JB did not have any problems at all...  I may go along with my camera and posi driver and take some pictures, its trapped behind the apex of an old shed, its forever been crossing my mind if he has an AM Radio or something else in there OR on other side of the wall (their living room)

thing is it all started when sky switched me....but that doesnt mean it wasn't coincidence..I mean the line broke up here after being switched, perhaps it was at the JB all along? and my new line has sorted the crackling phone issues but still passes the RFI/EMI..?

edit: if  one was clever enough they could draw the curved line on those charts showing the border where noise meets the signal and starts to interfere with it? wouldnt that be possible? it would show just how much and where (which correlates to the SNR) the noise bleeds into the signal??

before all this started I didnt know much about SNR, QLN, Hlog etc etc....lol...or how to do these charts, so like someone said earlier "thats the good thing thats come from all this" ...sky will be begging me to come work for them when this is all over.....not!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:52:16 AM by snadge »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

anything