Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Cable Pairs - A Question  (Read 41480 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: Cable Pairs - A Question
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »

aye thanks Gary, well I have 1 neighbour ON svbn and one who will be sometime in coming weeks perhaps, we live in a part of the estate where its all old folk in bungelows , I know one or two people in the next street, they may know someone who is with sky nearby that I can ask if i can check their lines hehe

its a sham - my only option to get it sorted is to be put back on WLR3 but ive been told it means 10 days with no service!!! surely something can be arranged so that we have some sort of broadband whilst the change takes place..? even if its mobile...?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

I would of thought they would of kept you on SVBN until the switch back to WLR3 then cancel your SVBN so you don't have a loss of service. Bit of a back to front way of doing things but i guess that most be there policy. Have you got alot of RES homes in your area cause the more reporting the better. You have come this far with it no point in giving up just yet mate i would suggest you gather more evidence and then hit sky with it all at one go. They will surely have to spend the money then to get it repaired with no complaints  ;D

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »

what are RES homes..?

I know I dont want too give up but its really grinding on me - when it went up to 13.7Mb and I could get 16Mb on 3.5db I was happy with that.. it stayed there between reboots too - but as soon as she phoned her gran and I reboot the router after that call the speed dropped back down to 11.2Mb again...grrr!!  defo problematic hardware in exchange.

Iam going to ask the people who I walk the dog with if they know anyone on sky, thing is 99% of people couldnt give a toss about speeds and wont be willing to complain unless their service was degraded to the point its crap - the lady 2 doors down is hit hard and hers is slooww!! and she said she will complain. she gets 6Mb sync on a 27db line... brilliant eh? she should be getting 16Mb-18Mb sync - the lady on WLR3 was 27db too but she was in middle of 10 day training and her connection was already up to 12.2Mb ...so she is beating us already and her DLM aint even finished, she got activated on Thursday and this was Sunday, so
thu - 4Mb
fri - 6Mb
sat -9Mb
sun - 12Mb
makes sense...exactly how mine happened but continued to 15Mb and stayed there (cos DLM is tight), then i got it shunted up to 18Mb..
her line was healthy on DMT and no reason she shouldnt be on 15Mb+ right now , DLM probably stopped at 12Mb because of me shoving my router on for 10 minutes thinking it was a dropout ..lol...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

>> I would of thought they would of kept you on SVBN until the switch back to WLR3 then cancel your SVBN

Sky seem to have a backwards way of doing things.  They use their own engineers to work on their own MSANs and will only book a sky engineer when they know BTo has carried out their side of things.

Ive come across this causing delays a few times around here.  My daughter was badly affected because of their weird system of doing things and ended up being without adsl for the  best part of a month. By the time BTo did their bit.. acknowledged it to sky.. then they booked the sky MSAN engineer (who only visits her exchange on Tuesdays) it was a right PITA.:(

>> what are RES homes..?

RESidential ?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »

so they can do this SVBN to WLR3 switch back with no downtime (or very little)?

I still aint heard from the reps and I have posted on forum again and still no contact to tell me whats going on with Networking Team, i dont think they are even doing anything - I think his manager has just said to fake it in hope I will give up

been nearly a week since I got an email and I have sent a reply since!!

really am fed up and irritated...iam so annoyed I went with sky, they are crap!! simple as that, I had read about their SVBN causing problems and losing peoples speed and thats why I asked if I could opt out... look what happened...my neighbour gets 6Mb on a 18Mb capable line , I see COUNTLESS other sky members on their forums getting crap speeds because of the rubbish DLM system thats flawed!! - I made a BIG MISTAKE moving from o2/BE to SKY ...BIG MISTAKE!!!

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »

well. no news yet - other than other day he said the Networking Team have not picked it up yet and Iam not priority as I have working broadband, I asked about going back to WLR3 and can they do it without downtime and he said I could go back to WLR3 as a last resort but will have "matter of days" downtime... this was on Saturday evening, its been 9 days since he submitted a request to network team too look into it.

more problems? -> at the weekend I turned on PC saturday morning to find that my sync was at 3Mb again but this time there were massive sections of tones missing in DMT Map, 2 huge blocks actually...i wished i took a screenshot!! but rebooted fixed the sync but since then the upstream noise margin is fluctuating again???

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »

For the record RES means residential so yeah your right kitz lol. Just easier to type RES. What i was asking is if there is alot of RES houses around where you are i am assuming there is cause of your line condition i can't really see you being out in the sticks (as the crow flies). Perhaps your problem is not of great concern to them because you have a working service but this is a reason for you gathering this information from your neighbours on SVBN and getting them ALL to report faults with there broadband service. If sky see that coming through they will soon enough pick up the speed in getting this resolved. I understand alot of the residents in your area do not care much for technology and broadband speeds but that is only really because they don't understand any of it so try putting it across to them in money talk. Explain to them that they are paying over the odds for a service they are not even getting and just watch them dive across the room to pick the phone up and call sky. Again obtain there ticket id and gather at least 10-20 ticket id's to go back to sky with. Once you produce that evidence sit back, relax, drink some coffee or beer and smoke a cigarette if your a smoker and watch how quick your issue gets dealt with.

Gary
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:59:21 PM by coolsnakeman »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »

@ Gary - hehe yer right too...  8)  I will speak to the one neighbour , she said she would "would have a word" with them if I wanted her too after I fixed her dell laptop for free, like I say since the weekend and something happened to my connection the line attenuation (upstream) has started to fluctuate again, although not as bad as before, infact right now its back to 15.3db which is what it was at before...

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »

well sky have fobbed me off, closed my case saying the hardware in exchange is congested and will take 10 weeks to upgrade and this may or may not resolve my problems, its obvious it wont as over-subbing does not cause massive increase of noise on the line.  also sky's checker says my exchange is fine AND latency and throughput have been 100% perfect at peak times....sounds like rubbish to me

this was the reply i sent back:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email, as always I really appreciate your help.

Sky’s exchange status checker says my exchange is just fine? and it has been for me..no throughput issues which is typical of an over-subscribed exchange?, latency and throughput have been ok as I test them regularly at peak times.

Personally, I think over-subscribing is unlikely to be the cause of the extra noise on the line, which is the cause of my massive loss in sync-rate.
 (just to add, I tested an old couples sky line in next estate last night and they had the same AM noise spikes, but, had much less ‘general’ noise on the line).

I think it best Chris if we just forget about the whole thing and accept it as it is.... but we would really appreciate it if we could be given some form of financial compensation for the loss of service and massive inconvenience it has been to us with all the problems we have had with communication with sky (before you came on board of course) , having to be in for 6 engineers to get our phone line repaired after the switch, the stress from it all which really has had an effect on me at every stage of the problem when attempts to fix the phone and/or broadband have been un-successful..and having to argue the toss with the Broadband Engineer who refused to stay and try and resolve the problem, I think you can agree when you look at our case as a whole that we have been through a lot and at the end of it we are no further forward, I mean its got so bad that now when I see sky calling I am ‘scared’ to answer the phone because I know its going to be bad news and its going to stress me out?, shouldn't have gotten like that.

I honestly don't think this upgrade will make an ounce of difference and that in 10 weeks time I am certain we will still have the same troubles (BTopenreach engineers and ISP reps on the various forums I use agree also.)

Sky promised me (when I asked to opt out of the switch to SVBN) that if my broadband speed suffered they would fix it, they have failed to do so , I just want to close the case and get on with it and forget about it, its one less stress I could do without, but I only think it would be fair to do so if we had some sort of financial compensation for our problems and everything we have been through with it.

Can this be arranged Chris?

The person who gave me your email was inconvenienced because he dis-agreed that his mother should have to pay £35 for new router, after complaining he got the router for free and Phone Line Rental at £1 month for 1 year, of course I don't want or need a new router, in fact I bought one last week just too make sure it wasn't both my sky routers I have that were the cause of the problem...and they weren't, so that's a cost I have incurred in attempt to resolve the issue, is there any offer similar to to my friends that can be offered so we can just put it too bed and forget about it?

We really appreciate everything you have done to try and help, you certainly are a credit to sky and I have said so on many occasions

Thanks Again,

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »

Its always disappointing to see when a service provider has failed to realise the bigger picture in regards to repairing someones issue. Problem is they only see you as 1 person out of there almost or pretty possibly more than 10 million sky users for both broadband,tv and phone so when you have a complaint about something that is larger than you expect and is giving your neighbours trouble aswell without there backup and evidence to prove the picture is bigger then your complaint gets swept under the carpet. However your a brave man to close the door on this one and accept the level of service you are being provided. I hope in the 10 weeks time if your issues are still not resolve you start the battle again cause that appears to be what it is. However if this is putting an increase in your stress levels then its pretty clear and always has to be clear that your health is worth more than a broadband service so your better off closing the chapter on this one. Perhaps a migration move to another service provider could be an option for you and if sky attempt to hit you with early cancellation fee's and the rest of the contract you tell them no straight away and you get there tech guys to admit they where unable to resolve your technical issues.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »

Hi gary

ive since found out that the noise increases more in evenings , to point i lose as much as another 2Mb in sync rate, I have to reboot router next day to get it back.
So Iam reversing my decision on the "pay-off" because of this, because it means we will  accept a pay off and it will get worse and sky will do nothing. I was only happy to leave it if it stayed put... but its deteriating.

I have looked at my neighbours stats again (one on BT) and I can see he DOES have the AM spikes problem... just barely making any impact at all, so little I missed them the first time, another sky user 10 mins away from here back over from exchange (further away) also has them (via QLN stats) but they (again) at much lower noise levels and would barely make an impact on their connection if they were able to get a speed (SNR) good enough to allow it.

so it seems these AM noise spikes affect everyone BUT should only be to the point where it barely makes any impact on performance.. I had them with BT/o2 but again, made no real difference

so, can extra noise on the line increase the levels of the AM Radio noise spikes?  I have loads more noise on the line in comparison and because of such the AM Radio spikes are much stronger

Iam going back to the lass 2 doors down who has worse connection than me to extract her QLN/Hlog graphs today...

I have half-talked my partner into ditching sky completely for teh whole lot and going to Virgin for phone & broadband, and getting a Freesat+ box

mine is on left... blue line represents same levels in noise -125dBm (one on right is from connection in estate behind us, 45db line - only getting 4Mb sync)

http://i.imgur.com/V6T7L.jpg

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »

You need to make sure all this evidence your gathering are sky customers cause off course sky are not going to be interested in any BT customers that may be having an impact on there service. Also to keep ahead make sure they are also SVBN and try and match your results against SVBN customers in the area to WLR3 sky customers in the area to show sky the hugh difference. Get ticket id's and get your neighbours calling. If you do not want to do any of that due to stress levels then its time to move onto another provider cause at least that way you will come off SVBN and be put back to WLR3. It will also be a migration so no down time apart from the perhaps 30 minutes on the day of the switch over if even.

Gary

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »

What you are discussing here is nothing to do with "Tie-Pairs". They are Something Completely Different . . . (b*cat plays The Liberty Bell March, by J P Sousa, on the electronic organ.  ::)  )

A fellow connoisseur of the Sousa military marches?!

Sousa's Invincible Eagle March is one of my favourites.. played here by The President's Own United States Marine Band.   It seems an appropriate march for this forum which of late has become something of a breeding ground for eagles!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keW93DCA6A4[/youtube]

cheers, a

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:03:36 AM by asbokid »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »

that one on right is a WLR3 phone but the broadband appears to be on the SVBN cos tracert 2nd hop was dr4.elnba.isp.sky.com address which is typical of SVBN MSAN (broadband only MSAN's usually have something like 840E6A89.bb.sky.com ) and of course EasyNet Dslams are easynet.net addresses

to me it seems to be something to do with Telephony side of it, but I could be wrong..they can obviously put the broadband anywhere they like while the phone is on WLR3,
that connection on right has bad internal wiring and could be why they only get 4Mb and their SNR was just a mess so couldn't reveal much more, BUT, iam sure they had 7-8Mb with Talk Talk before that (and thats what speed they should be getting at 45db) and going from the strength of the AM spike on their line I think it wouldnt have made much of an impact. Iam going to get my neighbours stats tomoz and will ask the one on WLR3 if I can pull more stats from her line again

ive started writing a letter to sky, then ive just realised I think I already have one...lol

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2012, 12:10:38 AM »

Sousa's Invincible Eagle March is one of my favourites..

Mine too, but it does all sound a bit Monty Python(ish).

Mind you this whole state of affairs regarding the UK's broadband services is a bit of a joke!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

anything