Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is Linux Immune To Virus's ?.  (Read 5539 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Is Linux Immune To Virus's ?.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

As the man says, no, Linux is not immune. But it is a lot less likely to become infected. One would have to allow the virus to infect the operating system unless one was daft enough to run using root permissions. As for passing a virus to other operating systems via email well that is quite possible. One has to be wary of that though.
Common sense is the key to keeping a clean machine. Nice read though tickmike. Thank you.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »

An interesting read. Thank you, Michael:)

New information?  :no:

I believe (but I could well be wrong): one virus, two or more virii:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »

I agree it's old news but it was interesting read.
Does anyone check for 'root kits' ?, I see that 'rkhuter' is in 'Synaptic' package manager so I'm going to try it on a test machine. ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:27:22 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »

I believe (but I could well be wrong): one virus, two or more virii

As the forum's official pedant, I must disabuse you of that grammatical horror. :graduate:

The english word 'virus' is of course derived from the same latin word, meaning 'poison'. There is no known instance in latin of its ever having a plural, and latin scholars are in some disagreement about whether it was a noun of the second or fourth declension. If it was second declension, the plural would have been 'viri' (with one i ) and if fourth declension the plural would have been 'virūs'. Or it might have been a word with no plural (e.g. a word like 'oxygen'). Nobody knows, but one thing is certain, and that is that the plural wasn't 'virii'.

In English, the plural is 'viruses'.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »

In English, the plural is 'viruses'.

:clap:  I thought I could be wrong.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:20:21 AM »

You'll be tested on it next week. ;D
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »

As we're on the topic of grammar, "Virus's" is incorrect. The Virus's is not referring to ownership so it is written "Viruses" as Roseway mentioned. An apostrophe does not indicate a plural, an apostrophe shows if one or more letters is missing or it shows ownership.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »

Getting back to the subject (with apologies to tickmike :) ) I installed rkhunter on this Debian system, something I should have done long ago. Somewhat disturbingly it found a possible rootkit (Xzibit) but it turns out that this is a false positive and is a known bug in rkhunter.

But no system is totally immune from viruses and other types of intrusion, so this is another tool which I shall use regularly from now on.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »

You start by using  rkhunter -c in a terminal .
 I also got a false positive  :o it found it's own data base  :'(

As we're on the topic of grammar, "Virus's" is incorrect. The Virus's is not referring to ownership so it is written "Viruses" as Roseway mentioned. An apostrophe does not indicate a plural, an apostrophe shows if one or more letters is missing or it shows ownership.

No it means I do not know how to spell it and it stops the spell checker marking it up  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »

I believe (but I could well be wrong): one virus, two or more virii:-\

I think that may be a sign of the times... most certainly in the late 90's early 00's virii was the buzz word and used a lot in certain areas of the computing industry.
I know for sure, it was still in regular use when I did a degree module in about 2002/2003 on the subject.  Since then, we've all been properly educated and viruses it is.  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything