Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What a pity !  (Read 7918 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
What a pity !
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

Gentlefolk,

At present I have a feeling of utter frustration.
More generally what a total waste of my time and the Indian operative's too.

What might be worth examining is how a nation can be browbeaten into sounding so polite, yet refusing to partake in a rational conversation or take the necessary steps to rectify that situation, even after talking to his supervisor. The on-line chat record has been adjusted to anonymise the hapless EU. The pictures at the bottom show the BT speedtest as sent to India and the entry page clearly showing this as a method to rectify what should be a customer services problem. I cannot think of another ISP who would continue to act in this way.

Kind regards,
Walter

I am WalterW writing on behalf of Mr & Mrs D M of zz13 6zz Ref 0140389xxxx a/c No SD386xxxxx. Can you please remove max speed limit of 500 Mbps as DSL connection rate is 2.34 according to BT Speedtest

Rohit Nagpal (Listening)
 Rohit Nagpal: Hello. I'm Rohit Nagpal. Thanks for that information, I'll check it and get back to you in a moment.
 Rohit Nagpal: Hi there can you confirm your BT phone and account number please and I will be more than happy to check that for you?
 David M: 0140389xxxx a/c No SD386xxxxx.
 Rohit Nagpal: Thank you
 Rohit Nagpal: Can i also have your alternate number please?
 David M: My number for WalterW is 07785xxxxxx
 Rohit Nagpal: Can you confirm your relationship to the BT Account Holder ?
 David M: I am a long-standing friend who helps people not so aware of broadband problems. I have been asked by David M to help solve this difficulty and have provided you with his account details he gave me.
 Rohit Nagpal: Allright
 Rohit Nagpal: May I have Mr. M first line of address and the post code please?
 David M: Wabcde Nabcde Habcde zz13 6zz
 Rohit Nagpal: Thank you for the information. Give me some time while I try to pull up the account details for you.
 David M: Thanks very much
 Rohit Nagpal: Thank you for your patience Walter
 David M: No problem at all
 Rohit Nagpal: So if I have understood the issue correctly that you want to increase your speed correct?
 David M: That is correct Rohit, The line is currently on a fixed rate at 500 Kbps but is capable of over 2 Mbps
 Rohit Nagpal: Thank you Walter
 Rohit Nagpal: Walter do they use a wireless connection?
 David M: No Rohit they don't.   The fixed speed has been set at the DSLAM equipment in the exchange and needs to be changed there.
 Rohit Nagpal: Yes i can see from my end that the downstream line rate is very slow
 Rohit Nagpal: Fault Threshold Rate:  2272  
DownStream Line Rate (Yesterday):  576  
 Rohit Nagpal: And is your hub connected to the main telephone socket or to the extension socket
 Rohit Nagpal: ?
 David M: Yes Rohit, the modem is connected directly to the NTE5 master socket. I repeat the equipment needs resetting in the exchange and not at the house at all.
 Rohit Nagpal: Thank you but before we do anything from the exchange we need to check everything inside the customer premises
 David M: I think if you ask your supervisor to verify the details it will be apparent that a configuration change is all that is required. I am preparing a copy of the details of the speed test we did yesterday.
 Rohit Nagpal: Allright
 Rohit Nagpal: Is there a filter on the socket?
 David M: Yes Rohit, there is a filter on the socket, but again I repeat that there is nothing wrong with the house equipment or wiring.
 David M: I am about to attach a screen picture for you
 Rohit Nagpal: Have you change then filter on the sockety
 Rohit Nagpal: I am sorry on the socket?
 File attachment upload has started. (See uploaded picture)
 The file David M speed test for 0140389xxxx.png (24.2KB) was received.
 David M: We have gone through EVERY possible combination of filters and sockets but the equipment in the exchange needs to be changed.
 Rohit Nagpal: I have understood everything
 David M: Splendid. I hope that you can get your colleagues to make the exchange adjustment reasonably soon.
 Rohit Nagpal: Could you please connect the router to test socket so that we can be sure that the fault lies outside the premisses
 Rohit Nagpal: Hello are there?
 Rohit Nagpal: Due to inactivity this chat will end in 2 minutes.
 Rohit Nagpal: I'm sorry, due to inactivity this chat has ended.  If you still require assistance please start another session. Thank you
 David M: I am afraid that is not possible as I am about 20 miles away from the house. THERE IS NO FAULT ON ANY OF THE HOUSE WIRING OR EQUIPMENT. Can you please confirm the exchange settings for this service which has an ID of BBIP19xxxxxx
 David M: Are you still there ?
 Rohit Nagpal: Yes
 David M: I though you might have disconnected as the messages said.
 Rohit Nagpal: I would like to tell you I need to run  a full line test from my end so in that case you need to connect it but still as you are away from there home than in that case can i call them now?
 David M: Yes please try to call them but I don't know if anybody is in just now. You should not ask them to test anything but they might unplug the modem for you if you want.

A LONG telephone conversation followed as Rohit must apparently test the modem and line from the test socket !!!!!!!!

Rohit Nagpal:
Thank you now I can see your screen and request you to not to move the mouse

Rohit Nagpal:
Thank you now i can see your screen and request you to not to move the mouse
 Rohit Nagpal: Sorry the above message is not for you
 Rohit Nagpal: bye
 David M: Good bye and PLEASE GET YOUR PROCEDURES CHANGED

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: What a pity !
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »

Yes, Walter, it is sad that Ian Livingston is still the CEO of such a shambles that is the Beatie Group plc:-\  :-X  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »

I have had experiences like that before. I rang up BT to request a target SNR reset and the conversation went something like this:

Me - Hello, I would like to request a target SNR reset please because the speed is slower than it was before.
BT - I will be happy to help you with this, could you please provide the account details.
Me - Yes, they are .....
Thank you. I understand that you want the broadband speed put up, is that correct?
Me - I would like the target SNR reset which will result in faster speeds.
BT - Okay, I will run a line test to see what you are getting now.
Me - Okay.
BT - The speed looks good from here and there is nothing wrong.
Me - I understand but the speed could be better because the high target SNR is limiting the speed.
BT - Okay.
(By this point I was very bored so I requested to be transferred to a supervisor)

BT - Hello, I understand you want the speed increased?
Me - Yes I would like the target SNR reset please.
BT - As my collegue told you, your speed is fine.
Me - I understand but the target SNR is holding back my speed so I would like it reset please.
BT - I can't do anything as your speed is fine.
Me - Do you know what target SNR is?
BT - No I don't.
(I then put the phone down in anger)

I am so glad I moved away from BT.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:23:27 PM by arobertson545 »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

Welcome to Hell people.  :-X

We have to deal with offshore day in and day out and it can be frustrating sometimes. If you need the profile reset, ask for a CCSNR. This will restart the 10day training period and is a Term BT understand.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

Welcome to Hell people.  :-X

We have to deal with offshore day in and day out and it can be frustrating sometimes. If you need the profile reset, ask for a CCSNR. This will restart the 10day training period and is a Term BT understand.

Luckily I moved to Zen!

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »

@ Leo,

It is certainly a great relief for the EU if (s)he's been wise enough to select your splendid services or perhaps one of the other reputable CPs.
However for the lemmings who might think our national supplier can do no wrong, I very much doubt that the likes of Rohit Nagpal would even be allowed to know about a  CCSNR

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »

>> However for the lemmings who might think our national supplier can do no wrong, I very much doubt that the likes of Rohit Nagpal would even be allowed to know about a  CCSNR <<

Method in the madness eh!. How many others like arobertson545 who put the phone down in desperation?
BT has no interest in the minions that use the system, as long as the £$ rolls in. As it surely will until someone else lays the the network throughout the country. Which I believe that BT got by default as it belonged to the taxpayer originally. Jut like the railways, waterways and now the mail service.
There's bu**er all for them to sell off now.
Sorry guys but it has to get worse before it gets better.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »

Concur with most of the sentiments above. It really is a nightmare conversing with genuinely polite people, who have to stick to a script. Luckily for we engineers, we can perform a SNR reset (20 & 21CN) via WHOOSH if the circuit is owned by BT, and it's within the engineers security remit (IE - Geographical settings such as 'Lancs & Cumbria', 'Docklands' etc etc).

Playing DA here though, was there a reason the DLM had capped the circuit at 500Kbps, Walter ??? There could be an underlying fault somewhere ??

I deal with most ISP's at some time or other. Some will just do a 'reset' without so much as looking at the circuits history. It makes me wonder how many of these jobs come back as 'Repeat Reports' against engineers who are new to the job, or after a quick-fix ?? Other ISP's will pass you around stating it's not in their juradstiction. From experience, I genuinely find SKY to be the most informed, aware, switched-on call advisors. They answer the calls almost immediately and are prepared to actually listen to what's been done, and what needs to be done. They will always perform various tests and then draw informed conclusions.

The creme-de-la-creme though are BTO's (formerly BTw employees) very own techy guys. These are the guys that drill right down into the metrics of the circuit, and are very much like some of you guys on here deciphering graphical data and then forming their own conclusions. They would NOT just do a SNR reset because somebody called Walter rang up on behalf of another EU, I'm afraid.

SS ......... not sure what you mean by stating BT "Got the network" by default ?? Who else was going to "Get it" ?? That was the reason it was split from the GPO and floated on the stock-market. When it was seperated from the GPO, it became BT. As a regular on here, surely you must have read other threads about BT's commitment to it's End Users etc etc. You just can't go making sweeping statements like "BT has no interest in its minions that use the system". They have a C.O.P. laid down by Ofcom that they have to adhere to rigidly, that is the polar opposite of that statement.

I understand folks frustrations, off-shoring is never a good thing, but is a tact employed by thousands of businesses. The other issue is that people only write or talk about their bad experiences on these forums. For every 'bad' there will be a helluva lot more 'good' experiences that are never documented.

I'll say it again, I understand more than most the problems with off-shoring, but to say the whole company doesn't care about it's customers because of this, is just not correct.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:07 AM »

@ BS,

You are to be highly congratulated on the more temperate notions you express and to which I have many sympathies.

Re the particular case, the (internal only) house wiring was in a significant mess which we have adjusted to the best of our abilities.
Given the clear evidence of the speed test, surely the next logical step should be to remove the speed limitation? Only then might it be worth deploying field staff if the line stability or error rates might justify such action.

At a simplistic level, wherever the customer services and fault rectification team are, the vital question NOT being addressed is "Is the customer complaining about a fault ?" I.e. if no fault is being reported then please address the question being asked. If that were that being dealt with, that must surely be the least-cost solution (in every respect) for everybody.

When I am interacting with support teams I am always delighted to summarise what has been observed and changed, but clearly in this scenario such a conversation would be quite futile.

Kind regards,
Walter

Jonny

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »

Using the online chat in similar manner a few days ago, i specifically asked about customer service. The response came back stating call centres are UK based.
Do i need to cancel the order?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:26:45 PM »

This may seem to simple but have you tried asking to be redirected to a UK reprentative?

When I was with BT that is what I did every time and they did redirect me, but things may be different these days but can it be worse than when I had to phone India?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

This may seem to simple but have you tried asking to be redirected to a UK reprentative?

When I was with BT that is what I did every time and they did redirect me, but things may be different these days but can it be worse than when I had to phone India?

Yes you can request to be directed back to an on-shore call-centre. I believe (but have nothing to verify it) we have 6 off-shore, and 1 on-shore CC's. Maybe coolsnakeman has more insider knowledge, seeing as he works in a similar environment.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »

@ Everybody,

I did specifically request that I be transferred to somebody in the UK but that was not possible.
Also a request to talk to the supervisor was not possible.

I am aware that BT business service calls often get routed to their Dundee call centre where you  can indeed have quite a lucid conversation with staff who are prepared to approach problems in a logical fashion.

Kind regards,
Walter

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »

@ Everybody again,

I must now admit to a degree of guile !

Knowing from many previous experiences of the pantomime that was about to unfold, I decided to use the simplest possible reason for the problem to be solved. It was a reasonable guess but wrong. The problem was more likely to have been a stuck bRAS profile which has now been cleared. This miracle was achieved as I advertised this article here to the Director of BT "My Help". She does not bother to reply to me nowadays, but she arranged for Gavin H to call the hapless EU. As usual, once you have waded through the over-bloated dysfunctional quagmire, we are now talking to a man who is empowered to resolve such issues.

Digressing slightly, there have been persistent rumours that, at very long last, BT are about to establish at least one new UK call centre. I'm sure that BS et al "couldn't possibly comment" but the announcement of a BT call centre in the Shangri-La that is Lancashire might not be unrelated ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »

@ Everybody again,

I must now admit to a degree of guile !

Knowing from many previous experiences of the pantomime that was about to unfold, I decided to use the simplest possible reason for the problem to be solved. It was a reasonable guess but wrong. The problem was more likely to have been a stuck bRAS profile which has now been cleared. This miracle was achieved as I advertised this article here to the Director of BT "My Help". She does not bother to reply to me nowadays, but she arranged for Gavin H to call the hapless EU. As usual, once you have waded through the over-bloated dysfunctional quagmire, we are now talking to a man who is empowered to resolve such issues.

Digressing slightly, there have been persistent rumours that, at very long last, BT are about to establish at least one new UK call centre. I'm sure that BS et al "couldn't possibly comment" but the announcement of a BT call centre in the Shangri-La that is Lancashire might not be unrelated ?

Kind regards,
Walter

:lol: :lol: @ Walter.

I can't possibly comment as I don't know about any changes mate, what I do know is, the chances of it being in Gods Country are probably limited. ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything