Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Need Help Diagnosing Fault  (Read 24683 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Need Help Diagnosing Fault
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »

Ah, yes.
Thanks for pointing that out b*cat.

It does read similar in that use of the phone occasionally causes disconnections & there does appear to be a link to this issue cropping up during warm & dry weather, disappearing as soon as the weather turns wet & cold again.

Unlike the OP, my phone is ALWAYS quiet when conducting a quiet line test.

soreilly

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »

Black Sheep & b*cat,

Many thanks for your help and advice.  I forwarded the information onto my ISP for their analysis.  They have agreed an SFI engineer is required however due to personal and work commitments I am unable to do anything before the May bank holiday.

Thanks again.
--------

Current ISP: Xilo LLU (via Be LLU)
Previous ISP: Zen (for 9 years).

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »

Good old HR faults eh. I have the CIDT tool here so if your line is a BT line i can test it for you giving it is a WLR3 line and not a classic line as the classic lines still use the remote diagnostics which ain't going to give me anything but a LTOK. All you will need to do is plug all your kit in and give me your number by PM and i will test it. Had one of these yesterday. CIDT was picking up an HR fault at CA. Turned out to be the router causing it as i broke the line down. Tested with the faceplate removed to expose the test socket and LTOK. Tested with the faceplate on and nothing else connected and LTOK. Surprised it was the router but there you go nothing can surprise in this job  :lol:

Gary

soreilly

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »

Hi Guys,

Quick update - Unfortunately I've been rather busy on other things and this got put on the back burner.  Anyway, I have requested an SFI engineer for next Monday (awaiting confirmation from the ISP).  The weather looks like it's going to be dry and warm this weekend so hopefully I can get more data.  It's rained virtually every day since my last update meaning the fault has not presented itself.

My ISP does not have access to the CIDT testing tool but I have speaking with coolsnakeman via PM and he ran a couple of tests which "unfortunately" came back clear.

We'll see what happens once the SFI has been.
--------

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »

Good luck with the SFI visit he should beable to clear the issues for you. Keep us posted in what was said and done  ;D

Gary

soreilly

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »

Hi Gary,

SFI engineer booked for Monday AM. 

When they turn up I'll explain the problem I am seeing, show them the graphs and the video and then let them decide.

Should I mention that I think it's a HR fault or is that telling him how to do his job? 
--------

soreilly

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »

Update:

SFI engineer has just been.  Showed him the RouterStats graph and the video before he started.  He first reaction was "possible HR fault".  Great I thought, this is what I want to hear.

Unfortunately it all went downhill from there.  He stuck his equipment on the incoming pair, ran a multitude of tests with his equipment and confirmed the line is perfect.  AC balance was perfect, minimal loss.  He even checked the cable back from the PCP to the exchange. 

He left his equipment plugged in for about 15 minutes to check for errors and I watched the screen.  HEC / CRC and FEC all showing 0 on the downstream and upstream.  This is the one time I want to see errors but unfortunately they just weren't there. :(

Pair quality test proved the line is "perfect".  The only thing he did do is replace the jelly crimps with another type of crimp in the box where the drop wire comes in just before the NTE5.  He did this because he'd been told the jelly crimps "could" cause interference but he'd never seen it. 

The only other suggestion he could offer me is that the fault affecting me was affecting other people as well and that an engineer had been out prior to this visit and repaired whatever the fault was.  The PCP is not in my road so I can't tell if an engineer had been out.

If the fault is still there, then I'll just wait until it gets really bad before I report it.

Oh well, I now expect a bill for the SFI visit as no fault was found despite showing the engineer the evidence.  :(
--------

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »

Dispute the charge if you have eliminated the fault to being your own equipment then ask the service provider to give you written or verbal evidence to prove the fault was in your own domain. Did the engineer leave advising a charge would be raised or did he suggest what the issues could be to you ie faulty router etc. Did he mention any aspect of your internal wiring or your own equipment. If he didn't then the charge would not be deemed as a fair charge. Problem is intermittent so it will be just put down to the fault not being there on the engineers visit.

Gary

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »

The only thing he did do is replace the jelly crimps with another type of crimp in the box where the drop wire comes in just before the NTE5.  He did this because he'd been told the jelly crimps "could" cause interference but he'd never seen it.

There could just be a reason for the above. By doing some work on the line, which would be in his report -- replacing the gel crimps because he was suspicious of the existing pair -- then your ISP should not be charged. Hence no charge should be passed to you.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

soreilly

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »

Dispute the charge if you have eliminated the fault to being your own equipment then ask the service provider to give you written or verbal evidence to prove the fault was in your own domain. Did the engineer leave advising a charge would be raised or did he suggest what the issues could be to you ie faulty router etc. Did he mention any aspect of your internal wiring or your own equipment. If he didn't then the charge would not be deemed as a fair charge. Problem is intermittent so it will be just put down to the fault not being there on the engineers visit.

Gary
Hi Gary,

I'll wait and see what my ISP does re the charges.  The engineer didn't make any mention of any charges nor did he specifically state the fault was my equipment.  He was actually very helpful and explained quite a lot.  When he saw the video he could see there was a problem and wanted to try and find the fault.  Unfortunately the fault "wasn't there" so he couldn't do anything.

Regards,

--------

soreilly

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

The only thing he did do is replace the jelly crimps with another type of crimp in the box where the drop wire comes in just before the NTE5.  He did this because he'd been told the jelly crimps "could" cause interference but he'd never seen it.

There could just be a reason for the above. By doing some work on the line, which would be in his report -- replacing the gel crimps because he was suspicious of the existing pair -- then your ISP should not be charged. Hence no charge should be passed to you.  ;)
Hi b*cat,

He had to snip the old crimps off to test the cable pair.  When he finished he said he was putting on a different type of crimp for the reason stated above.

Hopefully he's done as you suggested above.

I'll continue to monitor the connection and see how it performs. 

Thanks for everyone's help.
--------

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

From everything you have told us with regards to the engineer's appointment, I suspect that he will make a note in his report that there is an intermittent fault which was not traceable at the time of his visit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

soreilly

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »

From everything you have told us with regards to the engineer's appointment, I suspect that he will make a note in his report that there is an intermittent fault which was not traceable at the time of his visit.
Here's hoping. :)
--------

soreilly

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »

Hi b*cat,

Unfortunately not.  Here is the email I got from my ISP today:

We've received the following back from the engineer.

"Unable to find a fault with the EU line. EU is complaining of connection noise on his line when the router is connected. I have checked this and no noise can be identified. Have pq and fast tested the line and both pass. Sync test is clean and without ANY errors. sync up @9.6mbps."

Unfortunately, as no fault was found a charge has been made for the engineer call out. This will be added to your next service invoice.

Tom

--
Support
uno Broadband
--------

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

Dispute that charge! Noway can you be liable for that charge when you have clearly elimated the problem as NOT being the EU's equipment. Make sure you state that point and state the investigation that you have carried out at your end to prove this fault does not lie in your domain. Make a strong point to them that this problem only occurs when it is dry (if i have gotten that right) and that it is intermittent for this reason. Obviously you can not predict the weather conditions so this may need to be escalated for you in order to get this resolved.

Gary
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5