Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: High noise margin, slow speed on upload only - ADSL2  (Read 4471 times)

Tekgun

• Just arrived
High noise margin, slow speed on upload only - ADSL2
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me try to pinpoint what my problem could be?

I'm with BT Business, about a month ago I was regraded from ADSL max to ADSL2, at first I had really bad DL speeds at about 0.30Mbps down and 0.33Mbps up. After a few calls to support and an engineer visit they sorted out the download and now I get a fairly constant 15Mbps down. However my upload has stayed at 0.33 - 0.37Mbps, even after at least three profile resets and apparently a lift and shift.
So I get about 75% of my possible DL but only about 33% of my upload, i live about 700m from the exchange and have a decent line with little to no noise according to the engineer who came out to test my phone line.
The  noise margin for the upload is between 28db - 30db and the Attenuation is pretty constant at 9.4db and I don't seem to get many errors.
Today I phoned again because they closed my fault, after talking to support they now think that the problem is in my premises, however I'm not sure what it could be.
There are no phones connected to the line, it is solely for the broadband, I have a 2m cable going from the wall socket to my 2Wire hgv2700 and have tried two other routers and taken out my Austin Taylor faceplate to try a couple of different filters directly in the test socket but the results stay the same.

So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could try next?

Clicky thumbnails with my router stats.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:56:23 PM by Tekgun »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: High noise margin, slow speed on upload only - ADSL2
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

As you say that there are no telephones connected to the line, I would remove any / all filters and plug the 2Wire 2700HGV directly into the test socket of the NTE5/A.

If the issue is still present, then retest with another (borrowed) modem/router. If there is still no improvement, then you have proved that the issue is not due to anything within your domain and you should re-open your support ticket.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »

Hi!

You say you've tried two other routers - I assume that you mean router/modems?  And the upload speed stayed the same?

If/when you swapped the modems about, did you change the modem lead as well?  I've had consistent 2db attenuation difference between two different RJ11 modem cables.

Wonder if it's interference from electrical equipment.  As a start, is it possible to try getting the modem to resynch with everything else in the vicinity (even the whole building) switched off?

Ian

Tekgun

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »

Thanks for your replies,
I just had a call from someone else at BT who apologised and old me they had capped my upload while they were sorting out my download, and had forgot to manually uncap it  ::) at least someone was still looking into it.
They have uncapped it now and atm I'm getting 0.74Mbps up, he said it should improve a bit as well so all is good.

I never thought about changing RJ11 leads but I will give that a go maybe I can squeeze a little more out of my connection.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »

Excellent news!

Re : the modem cable swaps, there's a thread on my experiments here. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11373.0.html I'm not sure we ever concluded anything definite as to why one cable was better than another, particularly as the fancy expensive cable didn't perform as well as the standard one.  But it might be my setup just behaves oddly - it definitely prefers one cable over another!

Your experience may vary  :D

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »

Great news, indeed. Please let us know how things develop.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.