Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: low snr  (Read 6087 times)

Zanoma

low snr
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:04:15 AM »

hi there

i have a question about my snr on my line b4 i got upgraded to max adsl my snr was 30dB upload and 30-32dB download my Attenuation was 18.5db up 35db down now i went with a new isp called multiplay which seem good for ping etc , any ways i got max adsl installed and now my snr is 24dB upload and 2-10dB download so here is the question i am getting packet loss a little and sometime connection dies on me not all the time thow just now a then

i contacted my isp and told them about my packet loss and they say its fine plus my pings r fine too , because my download is so poor will this be my problem if so how do i go about getting it sorted i checked all my wiring so thats not the problem
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 01:49:26 AM by Zanoma »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: low snr
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »

Hi and welcome.

This behaviour is normal when you change to Max. See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm for a description of how ADSL Max works. It's not unusual to get some packet loss, and your downstream noise margin is quite typical. Over a period of time the automatic process should improve the stability of your line if it proves to be unstable initially.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »

Hi there Zanoma

As Roseway says, because Max is what it is, the maximum speed your line can connect at, then it will reduce the SNR margin down to as little as possible, in order to get the most out of the line. Any line problems will become much more apparent when you go on MaxDSL, because of the extended range of frequencies used in the signal.

Again, like roseway said, the automatic process known as DLM (dynamic line management) will stabilise your line over time if you get a high number of disconnects, by raising your target SNR margin. This will reduce your connection speed though.

I'd suggest having a read over of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm which talks you through some ways to improve your line, to give you the best chance of a stable connection.

Good luck!
Chris

Zanoma

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »

thanks for the reply, basically i use my connection mostly for gaming i don't really download much any more them days are gone :P. So i don't no if the move to maxadsl was a wise move or not i have had max adsl now for 3-4 mouths now only thing i did noticed with max adsl and my 2mb connection @ the time was pings on my 2mb connect i had on avg 20-25 when i got upgraded to max adsl it was 30-35 with interleave on so i phoned my isp and told them to take interleave off and my pings are now 10-20 so max adsl  did improve my pings but am not so sure about my line

but thanx for the help and info

must add too the site is spot on for info good job kitz.

thanks alan.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 01:20:49 AM »

By default many isps now enable interleaving my default to help stabilise max dsl lines...  but if you request, it can be turned off.

Thanks for your comments - glad you found the site useful. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Zanoma

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »

hi again

i am planing to put a extension in my room plus one in the living room whats the best way to do it ?? plus whats the best sockets for broadband??? the one in the living room will be a phone no broadband and the one in the room is broadband

thanks alan.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:46:24 PM by Zanoma »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 02:30:38 AM »

Ideally using adsl filtered NTE5 faceplates.

Clarity are one of the best places to get them from and they also do some really good guides for setting up an extension wiring and adsl faceplates.

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

iirc theres a bit near the bottom of that page about extensions. - Sorry I cant check the exact url or site right now since its saying
"We're moving the entire web site to a new server. Back on in a couple of hours."
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 02:38:22 AM »

lmao  just read the page about the server move.

Some of us will already know but, the guy who owns clarity has a bit of a wicked SOH and hes written a whole page about the server move tonight.

Quoted for posterity

THE CONVERSATIONAL VERSION:
We've been needing to move web hosts for years.  The current one, HOSTROUTE, have proven unfeasibly unreliable.  I'll take this opportunity to shame them in public.  From time to time they have allowed spammers to use their servers, which results in those email servers becoming blacklisted and getting the legitimate email of everyone who uses the server being bounced.  In our case that's meant non delivery of order confirmations, shipping notifications and answers to customer questions.  Utterly unacceptable that they fail to police this and drag their heels for WEEKS getting themselves un-blacklisted.  Lazy, tardy bastards.  I'm sure there's three of them, running it from their garden shed.  Or a bedroom.

We've got our own private email server now, so this can never ever happen again.  I extend my middle finger to Hostroute UK.

Speed has been another ongoing issue.  People have actually mailed or commented us to say our site has been slow, or pages timed out.  Sometimes their internet connection crawls, sometimes their servers let software run amok and slow the computers right down.  Allegedly they have monitoring for things like this - funny then that it's gone unfixed til we've opened a support ticket eh?

They don't give a crap.  I've personally asked for reassurances that our business was valued and that issues would be addressed.  Met with abject, unforgivable ignorance.

Why haven't we moved before now?  Honestly, fear.  Fear of breaking our mail order operation.  Well what we've done is bit the bullet and paid the shopping cart company to do it for us, so there can be no mistakes.

Anyway, the new server is powered by actual anti-matter warp drives and Magic and the new hosting company fusednetwork.com has already proven sharp, slick and on the ball.  Head-shakingly they're in CHICAGO, yet pages are served many times faster than the UK based Hostroute.  I am aghast.

Made me laugh anyhow  :lol:
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 07:48:39 AM »

I wish he'd say what he really means instead of mincing his words like that. :lol:
  Eric

Zanoma

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:43:13 PM »

Hi there

First off would just like to say happy new year to all , its bin sometime now sins i have had my maxadsl connection from multiplay.co.uk  now and i still get between 4-10 mostly 6snr when checking all the time. as i am aware that in previous post its to do with the DLM to what my line can take  he is my question now because i am a gamer who only use's my computer for that would it be best to go back to my old 2mb connection for better snr's and through put

thanks

alan.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »

Hey, happy new year to you too.

Depends on your requirements. If MaxDSL is proving a problem for you, and you're getting too much packet loss, you can try to (if you have a supported router) have a play with the DMT tool. It's a German tool, but there's an automatic translation here.

Alternatively, if you're not bothered, asking your ISP to go back on 2Mb fixed might be a way forward, if they're willing to do that. Be aware though that if your line attenuation is over 43dB BT might not accept the order.

Perhaps if you post a full copy of your line stats from your modem we might be able to advise better?
Chris

Zanoma

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:50:50 AM »

ADSL Status Information     

Status

Configured

Current

Line Status

---

SHOWTIME

Link Type

---

Fast Path

Date Rate:    
Data Rate

Stream Type

Actual Data Rate

Up Stream

448 (Kbps.)

Down Stream

8128 (Kbps.)

Operation Data / Defect Indication:    
Operation Data

Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

24 dB

6 dB

Attenuation

37 dB

35 dB

Defect Indication

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

Loss of Signal Defect

---

Fast Path HEC Error

Interleaved Path HEC Error

Statistics:    
Statistics

Received Cells

Transmitted Cells

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »

Well... not easy to read, BUT....

Doesn't look to be much wrong with your line there at all, although I suspect that was taken shortly after a reboot?

Your packetloss problems are probably due to when your SNR fluctuates down too low and causes problems with the data. Does your router work with the DMT tool where you could push the target SNR up a little bit in return for a slight reduction in downstream connection speed?

Other than that, you are well within the limits for getting back on a fixed 2Mb service though, so it's up to you at the end of the day. Not really much more that I can say.
Chris

anything