Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 87852 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »

Sounds like there taking the pee, getting really frustrated to be honest, this is the reply I got.

"Just spoken to them and the engineer didn’t go out yesterday so the next update is going to be tomorrow Josh.
It’s a frustrating process because it’s best endeavour, OR have no requirement to find/fix REIN for us because it’s not them causing the problem!
I’ll chase again tomorrow and keep you updated".

I understand it isn't OP that are causing the issue but anyone can see when I have an attainable rate of around 37Mbps, and I'm receiving a capped rate of 30 due to errors on the line it isn't acceptable!

Is there anyone I could contact to try and get these issues sorted?

Would Ofcom be a possibility?

And any ideas why my SNRM is so low?

Thanks

Josh, OR do not guarantee speeds. Well, they do, but it's 28Kbps. You could try Ofcom, but if it is indeed a REIN driven fault, you may as well forget it. What you have to understand is (if I read the situation correctly), that OR's wires test perfect. This means they have met a certain criteria laid out that all ISP's have agreed to.

Now, if 'Johnny Ham' your local amateur radio enthusiast, decides he is going to transmit and causes your line to error severley, which in turn has the DLM alter your parameters, it is not OR's fault. Same if it's a faulty set-top box, or a faulty street light etc etc.

From personal experience, I can tell you that OR do visit this type of fault scenario, but it may take umpteen visits to localise the offending item. Due to the ever-increasing higher frequencies being pumped down our D-side cables, REIN is more prevalent than it ever was. However, to go full circle here, if your line passes the testing criteria and it is suspected REIN, we will only attend when it is business-viable. If the 'workstacks' are high, we are obliged to attend to these first as the SP's are paying us to do so. Nobody is paying us to look after your REIN case.

So, patience is a virtue I'm afraid.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 07:25:03 PM »

Sounds like there taking the pee, getting really frustrated to be honest, this is the reply I got.

"Just spoken to them and the engineer didn’t go out yesterday so the next update is going to be tomorrow Josh.
It’s a frustrating process because it’s best endeavour, OR have no requirement to find/fix REIN for us because it’s not them causing the problem!

I understand it isn't OP that are causing the issue but anyone can see when I have an attainable rate of around 37Mbps, and I'm receiving a capped rate of 30 due to errors on the line it isn't acceptable!

Thanks

Josh, OR do not guarantee speeds. Well, they do, but it's 28Kbps. You could try Ofcom, but if it is indeed a REIN driven fault, you may as well forget it. What you have to understand is (if I read the situation correctly), that OR's wires test perfect. This means they have met a certain criteria laid out that all ISP's have agreed to.

Now, if 'Johnny Ham' your local amateur radio enthusiast, decides he is going to transmit and causes your line to error severley, which in turn has the DLM alter your parameters, it is not OR's fault. Same if it's a faulty set-top box, or a faulty street light etc etc.

From personal experience, I can tell you that OR do visit this type of fault scenario, but it may take umpteen visits to localise the offending item. Due to the ever-increasing higher frequencies being pumped down our D-side cables, REIN is more prevalent than it ever was. However, to go full circle here, if your line passes the testing criteria and it is suspected REIN, we will only attend when it is business-viable. If the 'workstacks' are high, we are obliged to attend to these first as the SP's are paying us to do so. Nobody is paying us to look after your REIN case.

So, patience is a virtue I'm afraid.

Thanks for clearing that up BS, I understand it can take time, but when I was told an Engineer would be in touch in the next couple of days he/she never called. I was told the issue would be solved and they have pinpointed where it's coming from.

Now on to my SNR Margin, why is it so low? It drops as low as 4 between now and 12pm. Is that acceptable?

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »

Thanks

Do you know your loop length?  The graphs indicate high attenuation. The crosstalk from adjacent ADSL2 pairs only compounds the background noise (the trough shaped like a dental cavity).

That said, tones #512 - #859 have reasonable S/N ratios, and could be utilised in theory.  Yet we can see from the Bit Loading graphs that those tones are not used.  That lack of tone utilisation is due to the DLM algorithm running on the DSLAM control board.  At a guess it is tweaked to give you and your neighbours a fair bite of the cherry each.

Sorry, no answers.

cheers, a

Hi a, I'm 560m from the cab,

Looking through some old posts on the TalkTalk forums these were the results I had on ADSL2+

Connection Speed   10063 kbps   1019 kbps
Line Attenuation   36.5 db   17.9 db
Noise Margin   6.3 db   9.2 db

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »

Once a REIN case is built, The REIN helpdesk 'diary' when to ring the owning engineer for an update. It's generally once a week if it's an ongoing issue. The Helpdesk are obviously aware of our policies regarding attending these cases only when workstacks dictate. To say an engineer will be in touch is wrong in my opinion, as our workloads differ from day-to-day, sometimes within an hour if we have severe electrical storms, high winds etc.
So they can not guarantee an engineer will call.

On the back of that, you say the problem has been pin-pointed ?? If that is the case, then you will not (or shouldn't) get to know where it was found, or indeed what it was found to be, that was the cause. For arguements sake, it could be a neighbours set-top box causing the problem. The neighbour hasn't got Broadband themselves and don't care about it. We have no powers to seize or unplug the offending item. So, all we do is report back to the REIN Helpdesk our findings, they in turn inform your ISP, and they now own the problem.

You will just have to keep on 'sampling' your circuit to see if the problem does go away.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »

Clear now, I guess like you said time will tell.

I think the best thing to do in my situation would be to opt for FTTP when it's available next year on demand.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »

I think the best thing to do in my situation would be to opt for FTTP when it's available next year on demand.

That's it, rub it in !!!  ;) ;D

We aren't getting FTTC until at least 2014 around here, and you are getting FTTP ??!! Bah-humbug.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »

That's it, rub it in !!!  ;) ;D

We aren't getting FTTC until at least 2014 around here, and you are getting FTTP ??!! Bah-humbug.

What 2014? I feel for you mate, Once FTTP rolls around for everyone that once it I'm sure we can wave goodbye to the line issues :)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »

The Connection re sync this morning, I have no idea why but look at the difference in the graphs, this could be before the equipment is turned on, I have no idea. My SNRM has also shot up, but in result I have a lower sync.

Thanks,

Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

DLM really doesn't like your connection does it?

What do the ongoing graphs show?
There should be some sort of indication in them as to what is happening & when it happens.

That 27399 k sync speed looks very suspiciously like anther "stuck" DLM profile.

Also, I think there is some sort of incompatibility with the HG612 modem & the ECI DSLAM that you are connected to.

QLN should only show 3 lots of data (as per your earlier snapshot graphs).

My Huawei HG612, connected to a Huawei DSLAM, has never exhibited the strange QLN graphs issue.

BlackEagle has a similar setup to yours & he also saw strange graphs for a while, which appears to have rcently resolved itself.
He also has what appears to be a very noisy connection.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10968.msg215093.html#msg215093

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »

I don't know how to get the ongoing graphs running mate, I have tried to follow the instructions but can't get them to work.

Thanks,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

Which OS are you using?

Do you normally LOGIN to Windows or not?

Have you changed the modem's IP Address from 192.168.1.1?

How are your PC, router & modem physically connected to each other?

I'll try to clarify how to set up the ongoing logging & graphing later tonight for you (off to work now).
They can be really useful in getting your ISP to take matters seriously.
Without them (and the snapshot graphs), you are more or less out on a limb.

If possible, please post a couple of screenshots of where the setting up process maight be going wrong for you.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:54 PM »

Thanks for the help Paul,

Windows 7

Still 192.168.1.1

Laptop: Wireless, Modem to Router Wan port, then Router back to modem Lan port 2

Router ip is 192.168.254

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »

Do you normally LOGIN to Windows or not?

(i.e. with a username & password).

Just a yes or no answer will suffice.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »

No I don't mate
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15