Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 87858 times)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

UPDATE 6/06/2012

Hi guys,

a couple of weeks back I had an Engineer visit, he wanted to go a lift and shift at the PCP, he wasn't able to do so.

But today that was done I believe, I wasn't at home so could't comment on what has been done, from what I was told by TalkTalk, a new part of copper for the cab has been installed today, and a lift and shift has been done also.

A line reset wasn't done, I have no idea why, but for the next few days I'll watch the errors, now the HG612 has been connected again.

Here are some stats, notice my attainable rate has gone up, and I'm now back on the 40M profile.

Cheers,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »

UPDATE 6/06/2012

A line reset wasn't done, I have no idea why, but for the next few days I'll watch the errors, now the HG612 has been connected again.

It SHOULD have been done. Some repair work was carried out, your attainable rate is higher than 40Mb, you have SNRM to spare, yet your sync speed is only 22400k (22398k actually).

That MUST be a capped DLM profile that needs resetting immediately, never mind in a few days.

Were you expecting to be capped at 2Mb Upstream? Your connection appears to be capable of more.

How does your pbParams data compare with previous data, especially attenuation & SNR?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:51:12 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »

Hi Paul, I know it should have, I wasn't able to request it, and trust me I would have.

Here is a before and after.

Please tell me, are there any improvements?

Cheers,

Josh

Edit: and yes I was expecting the 2 meg cap on upstream, 40/2 profile.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »

Well, you were syncing at 6Mb US back in May, at a lower DS sync speed.

The fact that you have reverted to a capped 2Mb US may have assisted in upping your DS attainable rate (to some extent).

SNR & SNRM appear to have improved, possibly due to the L & S and/or replaced copper (presumably the cabinet jumper cables?)

Could you not request/insist upon a DLM reset/recalc now via your ISP anyway?
I believe there may have been a recent slight relaxation on the requirement for an engineer to actually be present.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »

Yes you can.  OCE on talktalk members can pass it back to networks as low sync speed & then networks will request BTOR to reset DLM.  Thats how it worked for me anyway  ;)
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »

Yes you can.  OCE on talktalk members can pass it back to networks as low sync speed & then networks will request BTOR to reset DLM.  Thats how it worked for me anyway  ;)

Thanks for that mate! :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »

@JoshShep,

Any news of progress, DLM resets, or deterioration since your last message?

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »

@JoshShep,

It's not good news Bald_Eagle, basically I have been told my line is running at the maximum speed it will handle...

Even though I had a stable speed on 32Mbps for over 3 months a while back.

Currently syncing at just 22398 kbits/s

I don't know what to do now, my attainable rate is still around 40Mbps at 9:45 at night, and errors are at a minimal.

I'm a little disappointed to say the least. :(

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »

@JoshShep,

It's not good news Bald_Eagle, basically I have been told my line is running at the maximum speed it will handle...

Even though I had a stable speed on 32Mbps for over 3 months a while back.

Currently syncing at just 22398 kbits/s

Oh dear. That's terrible news  :(

I was told that when DLM had capped my connection at 24Mb sync speed.

I don't know what to do now, my attainable rate is still around 40Mbps at 9:45 at night, and errors are at a minimal.

I'm a little disappointed to say the least. :(

What are your ongoing & current stats graphs looking like these days?

If they are pretty much error-free, that is surely sufficient grounds to get DLM reset.

If they are full of massive errors and/or noise interference, then it must be back to the REIN investigation etc.

Your GUI screenshot shows better stats than mine, over a longer period, yet my sync speed is currently 28492 k, against attainable rate averaging around 34000.

FWIW, I have attached my ongoing stats over the latest 30 days.

The differences since the repair can be clearly seen, although sync speed does seem a shade low & US Line Attenuation increased when my band plan tones were adjusted (2 days prior to the engineer's visit).

I have mentioned this to Alex R from Plusnet, (he now works in the "Complaints" section instead of "Faults" section, but he is still personally monitoring my connection's progress).
At least I won't need to repeat all my issues when I make my formal complaint about it taking 11 months to restore my connection's stability (if not its initial speeds).

You can't give up the fight just yet, surely?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »

Also FWIW, I have attached my current stats for comparison purposes.............

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »

I have not been running the graphs sadly, only because when I show them to OR Engineers or my ISP, they just tell me, they can see all these stats already because they have similar tools running and monitoring my connection, basically they take no interest in them.

Just to ask how long does it take for DLM to make changes to you profile? And is an Engineer visit always required when you have been capped?

I'll start running the stats again though, so I can compare the stats now the work has been done in the PCP.

PS. How can I update my stats so they look like yours, and give me more information?

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

I have not been running the graphs sadly, only because when I show them to OR Engineers or my ISP, they just tell me, they can see all these stats already because they have similar tools running and monitoring my connection, basically they take no interest in them.

So, everyone can see the same stats, yet supposedly nothing is wrong?
Assuming there are no outstanding physical line problems, is the REIN investigation still a possibility, or has that been cancelled now?

Just to ask how long does it take for DLM to make changes to you profile? And is an Engineer visit always required when you have been capped?

Following repair works, some users (not many at all) have seen DLM take positive action within a few days, speeds increasing bit by bit in "capped" increments until the highest stable speed has been found.
Others have seen DLM stuck at low sync speeds with high attainable rates for weeks/months & some have simply requested & actually received a DLM reset - via their ISP, but BT OR have to do it.

I believe BT OR are now a little more relaxed in not INSISTING an engineer must be present, although in your case it may be helpful for witness/evidence purposes of what your line CAN achieve (as a belt & braces approach as obviously your own graphs/stats are just ignored).

Worst case scenario for you would be that the line is physically in "good" condition & any "problems" are caused by external means, outside BT's direct control.

Wasn't the REIN issue more or less tracked down at one point?

I'll start running the stats again though, so I can compare the stats now the work has been done in the PCP.

Your current error counts are probably only low due to the really low sync speed cap i.e. the connection isn't being pushed to its max.
However, prolonged monitoring may still help to determine the sources of interference/noise/abrupt disconnections etc.
It's a shame you didn't continue monitoring your stats as you may now be back to square one again.

PS. How can I update my stats so they look like yours, and give me more information?

That will all be in the next release. I am still testing/attempting to resolve an occasional issue of a few minutes of missing stats that only seems to occur during overnight virus scanning when the scanning program seems to hog all the PC's resources, spanning over a few minutes at a time.

I could email test versions for you to try if you were willing to provide detailed feedback as & when necessary.
(An couple of error / information log files are also created alongside the ongoing modem_stats.log)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:13:18 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »

Josh, afaik, TT cannot see those stats, certainly not in the detail which you can graph them.  Having reviewed your thread on the TTFM forum, the answer you received from OCE_Nathan whilst only a quote from networks, is to say the least, a little disappointing.

Do you have any graphs of the period when your connection was significantly faster ? Hopefully you do.

I would be inclined to ask why BTOR have said this is the fastest speed that the line can run at.  Is it length, Aluminium etc etc ??

Sadly, TT are constrained a little by what they can do and see as an Infinity reseller, however as a customer of theirs it is up to them to liase with BTOR on your behalf.  See my thread on TTFM here where networks successfully intervened on my behalf in spite of OR re-clamping my line.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »

Good news guys, had an unexpected engineer here this morning, he came at 9AM and he's just left.

He said there is a "loop" somewhere but tracking it is the problem, climbed up the pole, and tested the pairs from up there, no problems...

Came back into the house, snipped a little wire off and hay presto fault is now cleared.

I don't know what he did exactly, don't think he did, all we could think of is maybe there was a little snip in the copper wire just before the NTE5 and that's what was bringing the speeds down so much.

Anyway, he went to the cab, made sure the speed from the cab is the same I'm getting from the premises, yeah all good.

Phoned home, got a reset and here are the results.

I know it all sounds a little too good to be true, and too easy for all the work that's been carried out, and I know it's still early days and of course DLM will make adjustments to the profile in the next 48 hour or so, but for now I'm keeping my hopes high as I've never seen these speeds before on my line.

And just to be safe, I'm keeping the ECI modem in for the next few days, just to see how things go, and while the changes are made. hopefully the line settles above the 35Mbps I was predicted.

:drink: guys!  :)

Josh

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:46:24 AM by JoshShep »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »

That's looking pretty good Josh.

Did the engineer mention what had prompted today's unexpected visit?

Your speedtest.net test suggests you are very close to the full whack for a 40Mb connection.

As a TalkTalk user, are you able to see your IP Profile/BRAS Rate anywhere?

The BT speed tester would report an IP Profile of 38.72Mbps for a capped sync speed of 39999k (96.79% of sync speed to 2 d.p.) .

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

anything