Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Line Attenuation has shot up after crossed wire resolve  (Read 19980 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: Line Attenuation has shot up after crossed wire resolve
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »

@ Black Sheep - lol... your right... I didnt watch him, i just peeked out window a couple of times during that period to see if he was still there, and each time he was in same position lying down texting on his phone, he was parked up along a grass verge opposite our house where there are no properties, overhead cables or manhole covers (that Iam aware of) - the council usually park there for lunch as the view is nice and its "out the way"...  I have to admit I was a bit of a nosey parker, I always am when I see an Openreach van or engineer at work...lol...

one thing is for sure, I most certainly would not report him for skiving (if he was)...thats not me, I dont tell on people.

anyway, my GF called SKY from the work phone, she asked them too call me on my mobile (which they did) , we have an engineer coming tomorrow between 8am and 1pm - I shall have the coffee & biscuits ready... by sounds of what Black Sheep says then it probably hasnt been a L&S and the Line Attenuation SHOULD go back down once fault is resolved... I have managed to double the speed from 3Mb to 6Mb using my Netgear GT by lowering the SNRM
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

;D Good luck with the outcome, Paul.  ;D

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

Good luck and let us know the outcome  ;D Advisor that spoke to you didn't have a belfast accent by any chance cause if he didn't i am going to stick my toe up my friends...... Well you get the gest of what i am saying lol

Gary

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »

Don't get me wrong, we all enjoy an unofficial break from time-to-time

an all too familiar scene of an openreach team on the job  :P

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »

LOL  :lol:

Somebody said they'd dropped an unlocked FTTC modem down a drain, we just had to find the swine !!!

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

brilliant pic asbokid hehe - bloke from poland...excellent!!!

@ Black_Sheep - haha brill...

@ Gary - yeah SHE did have an irish accent actually, I also got a PM via the forum from one of the staff saying they have not forgot about me and have escalated it to tier 2 support who will be intouch within 72 hours, I replied telling them we had been in touch etc..  is that where Customer Solutions is based? I always thought CST was Customers Service Team - Customer Solutions must be next tier support or something are they?

thanks for your help Gary... and everyone else.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »

well I have had the phone plugged in today and tonight its rang twice and both times there was LOTS of noise (crackling, hissing and white noise) on the line when we picked up and then it went dead and noise lessened to white noise - I think the crossed wire issue still exists, my routers noise margin was much lower when it happened too (indicating noise raised on line)

Iam sure its ringing when other sky user on same exchange is calling up their friends/relatives lol

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »

well...its 1:30pm and no BT Openreach engineer in sight?  - at exactly 1pm I saw what I was sure to be a small BTo van drive past our road and go into the next road down...I thought "ah there he is!! just a bit lost"....  then 3-4 minutes later he drove out and turned the other way and off he went...???

sigh!

you know whats coming next... "i went and nobody was in!!" - yeah, like I spend a whole week getting sky to sort it out to go out on the day of the visit?

sick as a chip - no doubt sky will attempt to bill me £130 for the call out..

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »

>:(  Big sigh. It seems as if nobody likes you, snadge:-\

Don't get wound up about it. You do have friends here.  :)

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »

@ Gary - yeah SHE did have an irish accent actually, I also got a PM via the forum from one of the staff saying they have not forgot about me and have escalated it to tier 2 support who will be intouch within 72 hours, I replied telling them we had been in touch etc..  is that where Customer Solutions is based? I always thought CST was Customers Service Team - Customer Solutions must be next tier support or something are they?
thanks for your help Gary... and everyone else.

No CST is customer solutions team there is no customer service team. CST is tier 1,2 and 3 and escalations and they as far as i was told are only based in belfast. There is nothing worse than a "failed" visit. I personally would be getting on the phone to them if the engineer did not arrive by 1pm. They could of called BTW to get them to call the engineer and find out where he was for you.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »

Ok, back online after 24 hours downtime - line SEEMS fixed but I want some help with error stats from DMT to make sure they look normal? - all I had done in past hour is visit cbfsms.com , kitz , dmt tool page (downloaded it), 1 google search, Avast updated and made one post on my forum (maybe a 2 page views here) and this is the stats from DMT:

can anyone confirm they are ok for this much usage? (or do I need to let it run a bit longer?) he CRC one in the chart bit at bottom is high but it may just be due to the scaling factor

Iam syncing @ 12,000k / 26.5db / 7.5db - 19dBm Power Output / 64 Interleave Depth / 1.10 INP (didnt realise you could do .10 on INP?) if the errors are fine im just gunna leave it for a day or two and see if I can get it to go back up on its own.

I have about 6 gaps and some of them are 2-3 tones wide

Find below stats what the problem was

SF:             164923          167439
SFErr(CRCErr):  16              980
RS:             21440060                2925506
RSCorr:         12430           109691
RSUnCorr:       222             0

HEC:            13              16041
OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    75847995                1116428488
Data Cells:     21293           13845113
Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               926705

ES:             32              77076
SES:            1               9030
UAS:            85              0
AS(Uptime):     2681

INP:            1.10            1.25
PER:            16.25           16.01
delay:          8.00            7.32
OR:             32.00           9.99

Bitswap:        418             18
Total uptime:   3967

Total time = 1hours 8min 15sec
SF  = 244850   CRC = 484
LOS = 1   LOF = 9   ES = 32

Latest 1 day time = 1hours 8min 15sec
SF  = 244850   CRC = 484
LOS = 1   LOF = 9   ES = 32

Previous 1 day time = 0sec
SF  = 0   CRC = 0
LOS = 0   LOF = 0   ES = 0

ok, what happened? - well, the engineer finally turned up at 2.30pm or so yesterday, he was an apprentice who'd only been working there for 9 months, he said after 90 minutes...good news & bad news...

good news = found the fault
bad news = cant fix it cos im not qualified to go under ground and ive had to take your broadband off

he said it sounded like an Earth Leakage Fault... possibly some nicked cable thats bared a few wires across a few lines and water has got in and thats how I could hear people and had those problems... makes sense when he says it, I said it only happened when sky changed over , so I said I wonder if its possible that if theres a developing fault thats not yet causing much/any problems , that a stop/start and/or changes in voltages (when they shifted the phone line off BT and onto SKY) can cause a developing problem such as this to become suddenly badly affected..? and he agreed... im sure Ive read something like that somewhere too (but I could be wrong), I told him about the random ringing of the phone and broadband dropping to 3Mb on the Saturday morning before the switch on the Tuesday, but reboot sorted it and back 18Mb and had no problems until the switch took place, I just thought it was an anomaly , or BT doing something in prep for Tuesdays switch... but looks like its been a developing fault...

....anyway....

he said my tie-pair wire was already dirty , so he shifted me onto a clean one in same batch of cable (so takes same route to exchange alongside the old one) , but it needed hooking up in duct around the corner , he had to get an Underground Technician to come out today as he wasn't trained to access it , so , the guy turned up this morning and he was an old timer who knew nothing about broadband hehe - he says he couldnt make head nor tail of the lads notes from yesterday and had to ask me what he has done hehe - anyway, I explained and off he went, he came back and said he hasnt been able to find a fault in the duct, but he connected the new Tie-Pair onto one of the spares and has got it on bypassing the faulted cable, he said he was gunna take a look in the Junction box in my neighbours garden because he's thinking the fault is in there but not sure, but whether or not he did I dunno...I dont think he would of, job done...away...

so , I now have working services - supposedly on a 'cleaner' line, that may be for phone I dunno, Line Attenuation is 0.5-1.0db higher and DMT tool reports about 6-7 gaps (some of them spreading over 2-3 tones) , nothing you can write home about...

if my router sync doesnt increase by tomorrow after a reboot I will contact sky, DLM is usually quick at seeing a line is now healthier and allowing you too sync higher as mine was dropping to 12Mb when I problems and when it stopped it and I reboot shortly after it would sync higher, then again a bit later.. fingers crossed

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »

CRC's are low and Errored seconds are also low. Leave that for 24 hours then re-check it again this time tomorrow to see if there has been a large increase on those errors. At the minute just browse as per normal and use your internet as much as you can over the next 24 hours. I would like someone else to look at those stats and just confirm they are grand. I always like to confirm a second opinion cause there is times i can be incorrect  ;D

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »

thanks Gary...

I was using the phone before and could still hear some random (but quiet) clicks... seem to worsen when the other person spoke - is this normal? i barely use the phone and never noticed what it was like before...
EDIT: she said its always been like that, however i swapped to wireless set and dialled "1" and listened and it was quiet, when the "this number has not been recognized" voice started to repeat there were a few lightly heard cackles when she spoke only, as if the voice as causing it, but nothing I would say was a 'problem'

also, is it possible that the WLR3-to-MSAN phone line switch could have made this problem happen the way it did? - switching over at the exchange make a faulty wire worse? (from working just fine to crossed lines and noise on the line) - the Saturday before the switch (Tuesday) the phone rang early morning, I got up and router had dropped sync to 3Mb...thought it was BT doing something in prep for the switch so just reboot and it was back to 18Mb again..then nothing happened until they switched over 3 days later

I have removed my Netgear GT in favour of the Sagemcom just incase it works with DLM better (so wont accumulate stats)- I think DLM has re-profiled my line to 12Mb :( - line attenuation has risen by 1db according to the sagemcom - still 26.5db but I used to get 25-25.5db on that
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:45:47 PM by snadge »

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »

Hard call to make wither the change over has caused the fault or perhaps made a fault that was already excisting alot worse. It isn't normal to have any kind of noise on there line no matter how faint the noise may be so if you are still getting noise there then there is a chance there is something else wrong here. Maybe you should put your kit into the test socket for a couple of days and see how the errors go on that connection. That is giving you arn't already in the test socket. You should have also received a call from CST cause they are meant to chase this up to see if it has been fixed for you so when you get that call make sure you request they leave the ticket open for at least 5 days to give you a chance to monitor the connection.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
someone please help!!!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »

well - Iam having problems, since she used the phone around 6pm the noise margin has been iffy and has dropped sync a couple of times, also, last time it happened when it re-sync'd the downstream noise margin was ZERO and upstream NM was 100db and line attenuation on upstream went low - it dropped sync about 30 seconds later, now when i first turned on the router after he "fixed the line" it did same thing - this is with the Netgear which I switched back too so I could gather error stats

EDIT: there is loads of noise and cackling on the phone line now, tried 2 phones and 4 filters in test socket..all same :(  FOUR bloody engineer visits and they can not even switch a phone from WLR3-to-SVBN without screwing it up and nor can they fix the screw up ...I cannot fathom it??

stats for last 3 hours:

Counters        Down            Up

SF:             234890          235437
SFErr(CRCErr):  978             1142
RS:             30535732                2007811
RSCorr:         978196          112516
RSUnCorr:       8247            0

HEC:            776             17472
OCD:            2               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    96513621                1216979378
Data Cells:     57757           15931638