Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Line Attenuation has shot up after crossed wire resolve  (Read 19981 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Line Attenuation has shot up after crossed wire resolve
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »

Iam so annoyed its unbelievable...

after 6 weeks of no problems on SKY's MSAN/ISAM with my 25db line running at 18Mb they have screwed up massively when moving my phone onto the MSAN too, my speed was initially still the same as was line attenuation after the switch, but, there was a "crossed wire" in the exchange causing phone problems and said it would be resolved today, now today my line attenuation has shot up to 36db and speed is 3.7Mb with a 7db Noise Margin ??!!?!!?!

what has happened here? a lift & shift..? why - if it were a crossed wire in exchange or what not surely it just needs "un-crossing"

can I get this "lift & shift" (or whatever has happened) reversed or put right?

sky's 30-day satisfaction should start again after being moved onto SVBN too... because I wanna leave, if I do will my Line Attenuation likely be the same with BE*..?

edit: i have no phone signal either and there seems to have been a power outage this morning at some point because my sky box and hi-fi were reset as if turned off at wall - i wonder if all related? - I hope it the LA goes back down, theres obviously tons of noise on the line as thats why its at 3Mb on a 35db line

thanks
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:42:10 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Line Attenuation has shot up after crossed wire resolve
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

@ Snage,

You have our heartfelt commiserations !

How many more such incidents do we all have to endure before a major rationalisation and reshuffle is undertaken ?

Kind regards,
Walter

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »

thanks walter,

Iam already looking at Virgin Cable hehe..

if they cant get the LA back down then speed should be about 11-12Mb for that 35db once its put right, I could maybe get them to put me onto a 16Mb profile (once line is sorted) and use my Netgear GT to lower the SNR margin and see if I can squeeze another 2-3Mb out of it, bringing it up to hopefully about 14-15Mb , I suppose I could live with that, but still not happy that I have had to endure a massive speed loss because of a "crossed wire"

when I was with BT/o2 at old address I had a 39db line and I got 13,000k untweaked and 16,000k tweaked - I should be able to replicate that with a 35db line surely...?
but, as we all know, SKY's DLM is stingy with sync rates and so I probably wont be so lucky...

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »

Hey,

Was the lift and shift done before the speed dropped and attenuation increased or after? There may have been more than just a crossed line with this cause attenuation should only increase by about 2-3db if you are moved from ADSL to ADSL2+ and even when it does increase you should not have a large drop in speed like that. If the lift and shift was done before the speed dropped then the chances are they have put you onto a faulty port so perhaps requesting sky to do a tie pair modification might be in order for this. Keep at them until they do something about it cause the changes that have been done have had an impact on your service and it isn't a small impact its a massive one so i don't blame you in being frustrated.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »

thanks for reply gary

What has happened was my broadband was already ported onto their ISAM/MSAN 6 weeks ago on ADSL2+ , my line was 25db @ 18Mb - my phone line was WLR3, now other day they switched my phone line into sky's ISAM/MSAN and the broadband was fine , still 26db but dropped slightly in speed to 16.8Mb , the phone rang randmomly a few times and when we 1471 it we heard people talking on the line and they heard us and hung up - there was noise on the line and broadband would drop when incoming calls and engaged tone sometimes when pick up the phone, so I told sky and they tested the line and said there was a fault, a crossed wire, and it would be fixed by 6pm last night, however yesterday when it must have been "fixed" my line attenuation raised to 35db and speed is 3Mb (7db noise margin) and NO phone signal and still no phone signal today.

I emailed sky and they took ages to reply and when they have they just said "looking at your account, I can see the customer solutions team are dealing with it to arrange engineer visit and will be in touch" - dunno how cos we have no phone and my partners mobile is at work with her and she cant answer it - also, ive a feeling that was just the thing from other day when they told me too call and I did and spoke to someone who said the engineer will go to exchange etc etc to fix the crossed wire... thats what I think she is looking at on the account..EVEN THOUGH i just said all that took place and now thats happend..some of these reps are useless and some of them are great!

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »

Snadge,

I did use to work for CST myself a couple of years ago so i kind of know there process but it might have changed since then. Never done PSTN faults with sky though so no idea what way they work it i left them when they where bringing that in and got a job working for BT business repair. They may have fixed the crossed wiring but there could have been another issue there that was found that might require a different skilled engineer so perhaps that is why CST are planning on arrange another visit for you. What i would do is get on the phone to them and ask to be put through to CST. You should also have a ticket number for this so get that off first line support before you go through so you can continue to get updates. If you get the ticket number for me i might beable to get this checked for you cause i still have friends that work for sky and 2 good friends that are managers aswell. If you get the ticket number just PM it over to me and i will see what i can do.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »

thanks Gary

I do have a ticket number, I will PM it too you now

cheers

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »

agghh!!! sky are running around in circles - TWICE they have emailed me the same crap " a fault was raised on 11th and we are waiting for CST to contact you" - they have already and that job has completed and is now WORSE and new job has to be put in - ive told them this TWICE and TWICE they have said the same bloody thing...  iam so friggin annoyed!!  i have no means to call them up, have given them my mobile and supplied all information, it would be a waste of time and money calling me anyway as i will be explaining for the 3rd or 4th time what I already have told them, the fault and job raised on 11th is completed, i now have gone from iffy but working phone line and 18Mb broadband to no phone line and 3Mb broadband with a much higher line attenuation - yet telling sky this just DOES NOT seem too sink in

if the next reply is "..but we are waiting for CST to contact you " then someone is taking the p**s at CST...!! ive explained many times they already have for the fault raised on 11th and that has all gone through, now service is worse...

i knew i should have stayed PUT with BT/o2 - I had a 19,200k sync for years with 27ms ping and never went off once in 5 years... SKY could only manage 15,400k sync cos DLM is flawed, luckily I could get it put right...i have suffered peak time congestion....and now THIS!! --i just could not recommend them to anyone now, LLu or not.

how much is a re-activation charge coming from Sky Phone to BT Phone? - go back to BT/BE* - cost me much more money than it did with o2 aswell... thanks a bunch SKY!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:24:49 PM by snadge »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

OK they have confirmed they will contact me on my mobile - it took 6 emails , 2 PM's on forum and 4 days for them to say they will do this.... now whats the betting they dont even call

they say on the engineers notes it says that he requires access to our home... for what?  they know the problem is a crossed wire at the exchange, on the day it went pear shaped was the day they switched from WLR3 to ISAM ...been fine for years before that took place, that was the crossed wire issue, so then the next day when they went to repair it & It got worse..no phone signal and 3Mb broadband - I have tried various filters, test socket (no internal wiring) and phone on its own, and hard-wired phone & there is no signal, there is broadband but its slow...so how can it be in my property? 

why else could he require access?

the other week there was an Openreach van parked outside our house for nearly 3 hours...12-3pm, and all of this time a young lad was in the van lying down across the seats onto the drivers seat texting on his mobile...skiving sod!!!

cheers
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:34:20 AM by snadge »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:20:32 PM »

why else could he require access?

To ensure that (s)he works on the correct pair that comprise your line, (s)he will connect a tone generator at the NTE5/A and follow the signal back down the pair of wires to the exchange. That, as far as I can determine, will be the only reason for a visit to your home.

the other week there was an Openreach van parked outside our house for nearly 3 hours...12-3pm, and all of this time a young lad was in the van lying down across the seats onto the drivers seat texting on his mobile...skiving sod!!!

If that is truly was the case (as distinct to what it appeared to be), it is a pity you did not take a photograph and then report your observations to Openreach. They do have a page for such on their web-site. See under the heading "I want to report:".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:30:25 AM »

ahhh i see - actually, now that you say that I remember when we moved in 2 years ago , the BT engineer came and had a yellow hand held device and put it on the line and disapeared for 30 minutes and came back and line was on...

i just hope the line attenuation goes back down so i get my speed back

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »

i just hope the line attenuation goes back down so i get my speed back

Once the fault is fixed, the attenuation should revert back to the previous (lower) value.  :fingers:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »

Snadge,

I have been in touch with my friend who is off sick at the minute but he has sent an email to one of the other managers to get this looked at for you.  I am hoping for you to get a call today from CST cause my friend is in charge of that team in belfast but as you know i don't have alot of control over that. Burakkucat is right the engineer basically needs access to troubleshoot from your property back to the exchange so he can locate the issues properly and make sure they get repaired. Heres fingers crossed you get a call today and get that engineer booked to get this sorted once and for all.

Gary

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »

Hi Gary

s'funny cos 2 days ago (after 4 days of emailing and telling them) it finally sunk in that I had no means to make calls out because the phone line is down and i have no credit on mobile , after 4 days (they said 2 days ago) they have notified CST to contact us... well, 2 days on and i got nothing..BUT..we got a TEXT at 8am to say the line had been fixed??? it is exactly the same??? - what is this about? the first issue was "crossed wire" - the engineer went out too fix that and requested access to property so how can the job have gone through as "complete" a week later and sky send out a text?

sky CS is abysmal...  :no:

anyway, thanks for your help Gary I really appreciate it, my GF is gunna call them from the work phone today when she gets time, I have been given some email address of tier2 staff and some other email of head office or something, if I get no further today Iam going to complain.

thanks again and I appreciate all the help  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »

LOL. I tend to find (and am guilty myself), that when relating a tale to others, exagerations will creep into the story to give it more 'impact'. For example Snadge, you must have had to have been watching the 'Skiving engineer' at the exact time he lay down, and made a mental note of this time. You will have then had to watch him constantly for the full 3 hrs to verify the story. If you didn't, he could have actually got up and performed some kind of task, before "Lying back down", again ??

So before we all go reporting an engineer, lets disect the probabilities. Most stories are 'enhanced' by 25-50% to make it sound more interesting. Also, the engineer is allowed a 40-50min lunch break that he can really take at anytime, so long as it's not more than 6 hours after he has 'signed on' for the day. Added to this, I can tell you now in all honesty, performing a 'Lift & Shift' (ie-new FTTC equipment provided), can take up to 2hrs to complete. If the first L&S fails, we have to go back through the whole process again, and there's nothing we can do but sit and wait until we get the call back with the new equipment. Now, I don't know if Snadge has a FTTC across from his house, but thought it worth mentioning for clarity purposes.

Don't get me wrong, we all enjoy an unofficial break from time-to-time, but lets not get ahead of ourselves on this one. He could even have been talking to his boss and having his 1-1 conducted over the phone. These can take bloody ages to complete !!! :no:

No, I think if anything, we should all ring Newcastle Police Station and report Paul (Snadge) for being a nosey-parker.  :lol: Only joking mucker. ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything