Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Infinity announcement via ZDNet  (Read 2033 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
BT Infinity announcement via ZDNet
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »

Gentlefolk,

I'm delighted to say a degree of reality has entered BT's speed announcements as they now quote maximum achievable download speeds instead of the Maximum sync speeds.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2012/04/11/bt-doubles-download-speeds-for-infinity-broadband-40154990/?s_cid=115

However I strongly suspect that those, even if they have paid for "option 2", will be decidedly underwhelmed if their lines perform as well as Bald_Eagle1's does.

Once again it shows how invaluable the unlocked modem's data is to end users.

Might I suggest it is high time that Ofcom persuaded our incumbent to do the decent thing in this respect also ?

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: BT Infinity announcement via ZDNet
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »

A somewhat welcome piece of news that they (BT) are at last stating some more realistic speeds.
As for unlocked modems as standard I feel would be a most unwise move. When one reads the garbage that many an unitiated, grubby fingered termite writes about their equipment. Unfortunately for the sensible and knowledgeable it is just another hurdle to overcome. Now that providers are locking down some of their units, the forums are filling up with gripes other than the stats say this that and the other.
I whole heartedly agree with one response, the one about BT giving all to those that already have. It's about time they started giving to those that have not.
Thanks for the post Walter.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

What might be useful could be a modem officially unlocked in order to see & harvest the stats (incredibly useful for trouble-shooting purposes), but disable the ability to change any settings.

Anyone could almost believe that it was fully known that many FTTC connections would be simply incapable of performing at anywhere near 40Mb, never mind 80Mb, due to the sorry state of BT's infrastructure (D-side cabling).

An easy way round that is to to hide the evidence & "blame" any speed issues on contention/cross-talk/noise etc.
Combined with a relatively low FTR, what hope do users really have of resolving connection problems?

I suppose OFCOM fully approves the deceitful decision to hide all connection stats from the people that actually pay to use FTTC connections?

Jonny

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »

May be things have changed in 12 months since the last BT engineer visited. I was told point blank the worst areas would be done first, thats why my cab was uprgraded 17 months ago.
Wish i could have got 1mb on ADSL2+ and even then suffered packeting and hundreds of dropouts per day. Mean while listening to those moaning about speed drops from 6 to 3meg. Different now the boots on the other foot.