Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Selling You on Facebook  (Read 2853 times)

AdrianH

Selling You on Facebook
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »

We see people fretting over security, seeking the "best and latest" malware protection and then they use a site like Facebook  ::)
This article ( if ever we needed a reason) shows exactly why you should stay away from these "social networking" sites and how it is your kids/family members are giving away all the details you try so hard to keep private.

Selling You on Facebook
Many popular Facebook apps are obtaining sensitive information about users—and users' friends—so don't be surprised if details about your religious, political and even sexual preferences start popping up in unexpected places.

Not so long ago, there was a familiar product called software. It was sold in stores, in shrink-wrapped boxes. When you bought it, all that you gave away was your credit card number or a stack of bills.

Now there are "apps"—stylish, discrete chunks of software that live online or in your smartphone. To "buy" an app, all you have to do is click a button. Sometimes they cost a few dollars, but many apps are free, at least in monetary terms. You often pay in another way. Apps are gateways, and when you buy an app, there is a strong chance that you are supplying its developers with one of the most coveted commodities in today's economy: personal data............... (read more)

scottiesmum

Re: Selling You on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »

Perhaps it should be re-named  anti -social networking  >:(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »

Very true words Adrian,but try stopping what really amounts to an epidemic,its like a monster that is out of control.Millions,probably billions just posting total irrelevant drivel all day long.

My niece is 25 and after work that is all her life consists of.She has a £500 Dell lap top which in the 3 years she has had it has only been used for Facebook.

The lap top had a some malware on it about a year ago which I managed to sort out for her(but she didn't know how it got there as she hadn't done anything)   :-X

It has the same thing again,but I have refused to do anything so now she just uses her i phone to do the same. :no:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »

It's a madness, but a seemingly unstoppable one. I know nothing about yoof culture, but I imagine that in most young people's minds, if you don't have lots of 'friends' on Facebook, then you don't exist. :(
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »

It's a madness, but a seemingly unstoppable one. I know nothing about yoof culture, but I imagine that in most young people's minds, if you don't have lots of 'friends' on Facebook, then you don't exist. :(

Not just the "Yoof" though Eric, people of all ages are on there and they post the most intimate details .......... houses get robbed while folk take holidays, and who told the entire world where and when they were going ?  People get caught out over all sorts of things and once on Facebook (or any other similar site) the content is then available all over the internet and you won't be able to remove it.
A lot of folk end up regretting what they say or get tagged in and it will haunt them for many years to come.