Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Man Behind the Commodore 64 Dies  (Read 3712 times)

AdrianH

The Man Behind the Commodore 64 Dies
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »

Commodore Inventor Dies

Jack Tramiel introduced the Commodore 64, an early home computer that some people consider the best-selling personal computer of all time.

The founder of Commodore International died Sunday at age 83 at his home in Monte Sereno, California

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The Man Behind the Commodore 64 Dies
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »

Probably the last of the old-style computer pioneers. Not a nice man, but definitely visionary.
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »

>> Not a nice man

I worked for Jack in the early 70s, when we launched the PET, VIC20 and the Greenline calculators in Europe.  Many thought of him as "not very nice", but those of us who worked for him found him to be very supportive.  We built devices in Eaglescliffe on the outskirts of Teesside. 

My young son was taken seriously ill during a visit from Jack to the factory and, as Jack heard about it, he marched into my office and said, "What are you doing here?  As of now, you have family leave of indeterminate length".  A couple of days later, he came to visit in the hospital and brought with him all sorts of non-Commodore goodies for my son.  He was definitely a ruthless businessman, but a softie at heart and his product was top-class and excellent value for money.

If you research Jack's family life, you will find a tale of extreme suffering and loss of close family members.

RIP a big and good man.

Colin

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »

I admit that all I really knew about him was the 'ruthless businessman' aspect. But you've certainly revealed a different side to him there.

I used to be an Atari user, originally with the 8-bit 800XL and then with the 16-bit ST. During JT's tenure as owner of Atari he did some great things with that line of computers, but when he handed it over to his son it all fell apart.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »

I have fond memories of Commodore equipment -- some of the early scientific calculators and of the hobbyist / home computers.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »

I also used to have a Commodore 64 computer back in the 80's
Mike

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

I still have an Atari 800 complete with a couple or three cartridges.
One is the assembly language cartridge. I cut my programming teeth on that one. I learnt a lot about the 6502 processor.
I actually had a look at that machine a while back and wondered how on earth did I type on the thing.
Having said that I learnt to touch type on an old Remington typewriter, one needed fingers like hammer heads on those. How the dainty typists managed it day in and day out and still have such a soft touch.  :swoon:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »

I also used to have a Commodore 64 computer back in the 80's

I still have my VIC-20 and expansion memory (expanded to 27K!!!!!) as well as a docking bay.  Last night, I powered it up and ran a few programs I did in Basic.  About 2am my wife switched it off - some 6 hours after I had switched it on.  I was so engrossed in it!

Colin