Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What socket is this?  (Read 7424 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: What socket is this?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

It certainly wont be a waste of time having the socket upgraded. Your old one has a 'lighning protector' in it. This is a gas-discharge tube that doesn't particularly enjoy the higher broadband frequencies passing through it, especially when the gas starts to 'break down' with age.

Our boffins cottoned onto this ages ago, and now all the lightning protection is carried out in the Telephone Exchange.

It's hard to see on your photo, but its just to the right of the jack where the phone is plugged in, underneath the blue and green wires.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »

It will certainly be tidier, and more flexible should you want to change things in future.
Just make sure you don't get billed for the changeover.

Thrill

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »

So, is it possible to get a faceplate or a new socket? I want to do this myself, as I'm not prepared to pay over £100 for a call out charge as quite frankly, it's a rip off. Thanks guys.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »

So, is it possible to get a faceplate or a new socket? I want to do this myself
The "genuine" BT-branded article can easily be found online.
However, it is BT's equipment you are modifying and that is almost certainly "not allowed" under your contract with your telephone provider.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 07:03:12 PM »

If you would like a quick boost to your connection speed, remove the wire on terminal number "3".

EDIT: It's not completely clear from your picture, but I think the wire is already removed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »

So, is it possible to get a faceplate or a new socket? I want to do this myself, as I'm not prepared to pay over £100 for a call out charge as quite frankly, it's a rip off. Thanks guys.

Two suggestions for you:

(1) Look in the Classified Advertisements of your local newspaper for a retired telephone engineer to do it for you.
(2) Track down a Openreach engineer and ask if he would be willing to perform a private job in return for some beer-money.

I did read, elsewhere, that when route (2) was tried, the engineer took a quick look, got a new NTE5/A out of the back of his van and said to the requester "Here you are. Do it yourself. But don't say that I gave you this."
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »

I believe that Openreach engineers can get in a lot of trouble for performing engineering works when they are not on a job. I personally wouldn't want to risk an engineer's job.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »

I believe that Openreach engineers can get in a lot of trouble for performing engineering works when they are not on a job. I personally wouldn't want to risk an engineer's job.

Tis' a fair point. I believe (as I've never had the inkling too), we can take up a 2nd, or 3rd job so long as it is not in direct competition with our industry. Installing 'own purchased' sockets, cables etc could fall under that banner.

These are just my thoughts. Nothing official.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »

Interesting comments.

I did read, elsewhere, that when route (2) was tried, the engineer took a quick look, got a new NTE5/A out of the back of his van and said to the requester "Here you are. Do it yourself. But don't say that I gave you this."

Perhaps that is the reason why the engineer provided a new NTE5/A and recommended the DIY route.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:42:04 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything