Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC (BT Infinity) installation woes.  (Read 18587 times)

Dazzieb

Re: FTTC (BT Infinity) installation woes.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »

@arobertson545

It is a D-Link DSL-2740B Router.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »

Your line is either amazing, or the router is mis-reporting the downstream attenuation, because sycning at 7424Kbps on a 50dB attenuated line is very unlikely.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:20:45 PM by arobertson545 »

Dazzieb

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »

I somehow get the impression that you don't believe me?

I also have a Check Point UTM-1 EDGE X ADSL Router which I have as a spare in case of Router failure (it doesn't have Wireless capabilities for guests outside of my SBS LAN so I had a re-jiggle and put the D-Link Router in it's place) which I used before the D-Link device and that reported very similar stats.

On another note I actually did a visual this weekend too.

Although we are Rural I drove the road back to the FTTC (cab) from my house (it is a direct road). I found 4 DP's on route and each one served circa 3 to 4 properties max. All of the DP's were served by a cable coming up from the ground and were not linked via an overhead cable in any way, this was very obvious. This leads me to believe that possibly the cable from the box to the premises is actually coming along the GPO cable tunnel, could this explain why I have a pretty clean line? I also clocked the distance and it is as the original BT Engineer advised - 1.6 miles exactly to the FTTC (cab) from the premises.

I still have this out with BT and they are dues to get back to me today, although they promised they would get back to me last Tuesday and didn't so I will wait ond see!

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »

I was more surpised than non-believing! If you can get that speed, then good for you, it's just that on a 50dB line I thought it was unlikely but in your case it clearly is.

I believe you!

Dazzieb

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »

No problem.

I remember at my last premises I managed to squeeze a 2.5Mbps connection out of a line that BT said would only support 512Kbps, the BT enginner was scratching his head and so were my ISP, maybe I am just fortunate or very good at squuezing out every last drop >:D
Pages: 1 [2]