Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you remember these?  (Read 9441 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Do you remember these?
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »

How many of these do you remember

How's This For Nostalgia?

All the girls had ugly gymslips

It took five minutes for the TV to warm up

Nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got home
From school

Nobody owned a thoroughbred dog

When 3d was decent pocket money

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny

Your Mother wore nylons that came in two pieces

All your male teachers wore ties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels.

You got your windscreen cleaned, oil checked, and petrol served, without asking, all for free, every time. And you didn't pay for air.And, you got trading stamps to boot .

Washing Powder had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

They threatened to keep children back a year if they failed...and they did it!

When a Ford Zephyr was everyone's dream car...
And people went steady.

No-one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked.

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like: 'That cloud looks like a...'

Playing cricket with no adults to help the children with the rules of the game.

Bottles came from the corner shop without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger.

And with all our progress, don't you wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savour the slower pace, and share it with the children of today.

When being sent to the head's study was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the pupil at home.

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, cricket, Hoola Hoops, skate hockey and visits to the pool, and eating lemonade powder or liquorice sticks.
Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say: 'Yes, I remember that'?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a Double Dare to pass it on. To remember what a Double Dare is, read on. And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Mr Pastry, 6.5 Special, The Army Game, Sunday Night at the London Palladium, Emergency Ward 10, the Lone Ranger, Hancock's Half Hour, Trigger and Sgt Bilko.

How Many Of These Do You Remember?
Sweet cigarettes

Coca Cola in bottles.

You're never alone with a Strand .

Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes.

Blackjacks and bubblegums.

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with tinfoil tops.

Newsreels before the film.
Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Mayfair 3489). Party lines.

Peashooters.

Andy Pandy.

Hi-If's & 45 RPM records.

78 RPM records!

Green Shield Stamps.

Adding Machines.

Scalextric.

Do You Remember A Time When..

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?
'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
Catching tiddlers could happily occupy an entire day?

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best Friends'?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was'chickenpox'?

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a catapault?

Saturday morning television wasn't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?
The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
War was a card game?

Cigarette cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these....
Then You Have LIVED!!!!!!!
Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their 'Grown-Up' Life.
I Double Dare You!

Lifted from another forum today .......

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Do you remember these?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »

:D  (No words are necessary.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:03:29 AM »

Yes I remember them all.
One telephone number that sticks in my mind. Whitehall 1212 (pronounced, one two one two).
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »

One more to add to the list: Radio Luxembourg with all its interference and fading out. Despite the terrible reception it was the radio station of choice for teenagers of a certain vintage.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »

No-one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked.

Own a car !!!! ,you were lucky to see one never mind own it,  :D

We didn't have a bathroom or an inside toilet till we moved to a council house in 1968.I was 16 and my sister was 10,up to that point we shared a bedroom.

Would I want to go back to those days...............Oh yes,best times of my life.

My mum and dad didn't have a lot of money,my dad worked long hours in engineering and my mum use to do a bit of cleaning at team time(around 4 till 8pm).

There were no credit cards,pay day loans or whatever you call them nowadays .

I can remember come Thursday before dad came home with his wages my mum would send me to the corner shop to get something for tea and I would have to tell the shopkeeper my mum will pay you as soon as my dad gets home.As soon as he got home I was straight round with money.

(If you want to know anything about running errands ask me,its all my life seemed to consist of)  :D

Our home was always spotless and there was always good home cooked fresh food on the table and both my sister and myself were always smartly dressed.My mums needs always came last... :(

Blackjacks and bubblegums.

4 blackjacks for  1 penny (old penny)  :yum:  ;D

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »

Ah yes, nostalgia ain't what it used to be!  If ONE car came onto our housing estate, it was an event to put in your diary.  My dad had a motorbike and sidecar and we were the envy of the neighbourhood.  He built an asbestos-sheet covered garage for it - no health warnings about that either.

Last year in the summer break, I took some of my grandkids on a 50s themed day out ....... what we did as kids in the 50s on a typical school holiday day.  We fished for tiddlers, climbed a mountain (well, the nearest hillock), went on a bear hunt (didn't catch any though), and finished with a sherbet powder tube each.  All but one of the children fell asleep at the tea table, and none stayed up to watch TV.

Those were the days!

Colin

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:20 AM »

Oh it's lovely 'listening' to the old folks reminiscing    :lol: :lol: >:D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »

Oh it's lovely 'listening' to the old folks reminiscing    :lol: :lol: >:D

Thanks 'youngun'  :oldman:  :lol:

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »

I had a nostalgia moment last Friday when I went to the fish and chip shop near to where I was brought up (we lived there until I was 12).  It suddenly occurred to me that I could see over the counter - something I couldn't do then.  Mentioning it to the (now) proprietor, he asked if I remembered his mum and dad who owned the place before.  Then it also struck me that he looked just as I remembered his dad.

Strange feeling!

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »

I had a nostalgia moment last Friday when I went to the fish and chip shop near to where I was brought up (we lived there until I was 12).  It suddenly occurred to me that I could see over the counter - something I couldn't do then.  Mentioning it to the (now) proprietor, he asked if I remembered his mum and dad who owned the place before.  Then it also struck me that he looked just as I remembered his dad.

Strange feeling!

Colin

Not half as strange as how much they cost now as they did then  :o  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Talking of chips......a bag of chips use to be 4d or 5d  in our local chippies(we had  3 within walking distance),then suddenly one day another one opened and their chips were only 3d  :silly:

(Me running home at warp speed),Mam,mam,can I have some money for chips,there only 3d... :lol:

They must have been whats called today a 'loss leader',as it wasn't open very long  :(  ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »

I can beat that UncleUB, I lived next door to a chip shop and a portion of chips was One Penny (1d). Wrapped in greaseproof paper and news paper, no extra for salt & vinegar.  :yum:
It was still a fish & chip shop when I left home some 25 years after being born.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »

I can beat that UncleUB, I lived next door to a chip shop and a portion of chips was One Penny (1d). Wrapped in greaseproof paper and news paper, no extra for salt & vinegar.  :yum:
It was still a fish & chip shop when I left home some 25 years after being born.

:silly:..........who needs an air fresheners when you have those wonderful smell wafting through ..Bet someone in your house was permanently buttering bread.  :yum:  ;D

Those prices I quoted would be roughly around 1960-1962

Has anyone ever had a Sheffield/South Yorkshire fishcake..to die for  :yum:........2 large thick slices of potato with fish sandwiched in between,dipped in batter and deep fried,then put on a large buttered breadcake.....OMG,could murder one at present  ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:49:18 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

On our last  visit to the UK in 2008, my brother took me to a fish and chip shop in Windermere    ... £6.50 for fish and chips per person   :o I nearly fell over - they were tasty, but they should have been  :swoon:

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »

>>  Has anyone ever had a Sheffield/South Yorkshire fishcake..to die for  :yum:........2 large thick slices of potato with fish sandwiched in between,dipped in batter and deep fried,then put on a large buttered breadcake.....OMG,could murder one at present

Not just limited to South Yorkshire - we had/have them too up here.

Colin

PS - SM ..... fish and chips here are £4.90 at the moment and, with a voucher cut out of Friday's evening paper, two for the price of one.  The downturn is hitting them hard.

[EDIT to add Uncy's original comment]
Pages: [1] 2