Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: More DG834G stats.  (Read 3037 times)

jaypeecee

More DG834G stats.
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting on this forum so hello to everybody!

I bought a DG834G v3 a few days ago to replace my BT Voyager 2091 as I was getting very frequent disconnects. So far, I've not had a single disconnect with the DG834G. Not only that but my downstream speed has increased from a meagre 650kbps to 1735kbps! To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. Being a lover of utilities, I yesterday installed RouterStats v2.8c. When I've worked out how to take snapshots from it and post them here, I'll do so. In the meantime, I've noticed a few interesting things. Rx noise normally fluctuates between 8 and 10dB. Rx sync is normally 2784kbps and does not vary most of the time. However, every thirty minutes, the Rx noise drops to 0dB for a few seconds and then immediately climbs back to 10dB. At the same time, the sync speed drops to 0kbps. I do not get a disconnection. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

A few more details. The DG834G v3 router is running firmware version 4.01.20.

JPC

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: More DG834G stats.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »

Hi and welcome.

First, I don't think that the sync speed could drop to 0 without a disconnection. In fact the sync speed shouldn't change at all without a disconnection (although I have had experience myself of this router seeming to do so).

What seems to be happening is that you have a local source of interference which happens every 30 minutes. Are you aware of any electrical appliances in your home or a neighbour which has a 30-minute timer? It's difficult to think what it might be unless there's a factory next door, but this is the most likely source of regular repeated drops in noise margin.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

The sync speed cannot drop without giving a disconnection, so either you are being disconnected and don't realise, or it's just a reporting error. The best way to find out is to start downloading a large file just before you know it's going to drop, and then monitor it closely to see what happens.. if the file download stops for a bit or whether it carries on

Use DU Meter or NetMeter for this purpose, as you can see graphically the traffic you use in real time.

Let us know what your findings are :)
Chris

jaypeecee

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the delay in replying. I did what Mr Chris suggested and it has shown that the 30-minute dip is obviously a reporting error. I'll let John Owen know but I notice that he's updated RouterStats to version 2.8d now.

JPC

jaypeecee

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »

Correct that! It's now 2.8e as at 17 Nov.

JPC