Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP suggestions for North Lakes area of Cumbria  (Read 7475 times)

Ottersnose

ISP suggestions for North Lakes area of Cumbria
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »

Dear All,

I'm moving up to the North Lakes in a week or two and will be attempting to find a decent broadband service. We're most likely going to be living in Temple Sowerby (village near Penrith).
I will be working from home a few days a week (as will the Mrs) and also do a little online gaming so a low ping would be good.

Probably asking for the moon but any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.

I will not hold anyone personally responsible for duff information! :'(

Cheers
Rich

Ok I think i should have posted this in the ISP section. If a Mod can move it that would be great  :-[
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:00:06 PM by Ottersnose »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: ISP suggestions for North Lakes area of Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

The first thing  to do is find out where you are in relation to your exchange,that will then give you an idea of what speeds you can get and if there is any fibre available.If you are lucky enough to be quite near your local exchange you could possibly get good speeds without fibre.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »

Unfort Temple Sowerby appears to be a small village served by the neighbouring town @ Kirkby Thorne exchange.

By putting in the phone no of the local GP I got this info out of the adslchecker

Exchange: Kirkby Thore   BT Code: LCKTH
Distance:-   Direct:         2.88 km
    (appx)*   By Road:    3.06 km
    Status   
   ADSL enabled:   August 17, 2004
   DSL Max enabled:   March 30, 2006
   21CN WBC (Broadband)   Not available
   21CN due : (PSTN)   info N/A
   FTTC   Not available
   SDSL enabled :   Not Enabled
   Broadband Access†   Market 1
   BTw Pricing Band   Band E

Fixed ADSL:    2048 kbps    (2 Mb)
   DSL Max:     3000 kbps   (3 Mb)
   21CN WBC :   Not Available   

It has no LLU at all.

----------
Edited to add.
Btw.. the doctors seems to be on the main road, with the village behind it..  at a guess the further you go into the village then the longer your line could be.  See attached screenie to see what I mean.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:56:59 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »

Looking at what Kitz has found out.... :(

Hope you're not planning on doing a lot of downloading  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:08:02 PM by UncleUB »

Ottersnose

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

Mmm,

I need to be looking into the alternatives to a fixed line solution then methinks! Believe it or not I still don't actually have the full address of the place we'll be living at... :'(

TBF My expectations weren't that high.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:12:19 PM by Ottersnose »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »

Putting the doctor's postcode into a checker gives:

http://broadband.consumerchoices.co.uk/WL/broadbandin/broadband/broadband-results.aspx?postcode=CA10+1RW&SelectedTab=tabBB

Seems most only offer up to 8MB, but some optimistic souls offer up to 20MB

Colin

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

Hmm . . . a postcode checker is less reliable than a telephone number checker, as we all know. If only O*nose knew the telephone number of the current occupants of the property, a more reliable estimate could be obtained.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »

>>> but some optimistic souls offer up to 20MB

I think I know why that may be, as I'm currently looking at a way to update this sites ISP prices because the current situation with so many prices offered by so many ISPs now based on location, its become a nigh impossible task to keep track of geographical pricing.  One of the systems I've been looking at would be running off a similar database, but there doesnt seem to be any geo location for Zen... only 'up to'.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Ottersnose

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »

This is all good input. I will consider myself a guinea pig and keep you all posted. Will be looking at the house sometime on Monday and may well be able to track down the landline number then. I'm meeting up with a guy in Penrith who's offering various wireless solutions in this part of Cumbria.
I love a challenge!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »

TBH It looks like you are going to be stuck with a BTw based supplier from the Temple Sowerby exchange.   The Lakes isnt the best area for wif-fi, so I think your choices are going to be pretty restricted.

I think the foregone conclusion is that you are going to be on the end of a long line.. and therefore, personally if I were you I would be looking to go with an ISP that has a good reputation for being able to communicate with the customer and liase with BTw if anything does go wrong.  IMHO you should be looking at the likes of Zen.. or even Plusnet.

Something to note..  Ive since zoomed in a map of the area. Now I could be wrong... but my gut instinct says that any BTo cabling isnt going to go straight down the A66, but may actually take the back road (Priest Lane), if it does you may get a slightly better result than the doctors, depending on where it is you choose to move to.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »

>>> I'm meeting up with a guy in Penrith who's offering various wireless solutions in this part of Cumbria.
I love a challenge!

Sorry I didnt see that before I made the above post...  would indeed be interesting to see what they can offer. 

I certainly think it would be a good idea if you can to get the phone no of the properly and run it through the adsl checker.
-----

Ottersnose

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »

Called in to the property today. Forgot my test butt! Moving in next week but it's overlooking the village green behind the church for those checking on Google maps. Will have more time next week to fill in the blanks!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »

Will you be near to the Victory Memorial Hall? Or the Betsy Lane side of St James Church?

It certainly looks a nice area.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

IP River

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »

Dear All,

I'm moving up to the North Lakes in a week or two and will be attempting to find a decent broadband service. We're most likely going to be living in Temple Sowerby (village near Penrith).
I will be working from home a few days a week (as will the Mrs) and also do a little online gaming so a low ping would be good.

Probably asking for the moon but any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.

I will not hold anyone personally responsible for duff information! :'(

Cheers
Rich

Ok I think i should have posted this in the ISP section. If a Mod can move it that would be great  :-[

Hi, we (www.ipriver.net) are a local ISP that deliver quality DSL & Ethernet connections, its not always about the bandwidth available. A solid 2-3Mb/s connection with low latency, lean routing and low contention should do everything you want from it :)