Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 + HH3A on non-BT VDSL2  (Read 4821 times)

f2richard

HG612 + HH3A on non-BT VDSL2
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:16:38 AM »

You may recall my excitement at the success of our village VDSL broadband project.

Well everything is in and up and working and life is good with 38Megs down and 8.9Megs up!!

Anyway, hardware wise I have been using an HG612 which I configured manually with PPoE and connected my good old router in bridge mode.

Now that the HH3A has been hacked and can be configurated I decided to do the thing with this box as it provides draft-n WiFi and have successfully applied the hack as described on psidoc.

I reset my HG612 with the long reset procedure, set up the PPoE credentials in my hacked HH3A, connected it all together and was disappointed - no internet connection through the HH3A.

Is there a specific mode that I need to set the HG612 into in order for it to have the HH3A boss it about to do the PPoE?

Any help or advice appreciated...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:44:13 AM by f2richard »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 + HH3A on non-BT VDSL2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »

Well everything is in and up and working and life is good with 38Megs up and 8.9Megs down!!

Perhaps you really mean 38 Mbps DS and 8.9 Mbps US ?  ::)  That minor typo aside, it's excellent news.  :thumbs:

So you have obtained an HG612 modem, uploaded the unlocked SP10 firmware to it and configured it appropriately for PPPoE. When using an old router to provide just DNS/NAT/routing/WAP for you LAN, all was well.

Now you wish to revert to using the HG612 in its original configuration, as a pure bridging modem. After performing the "long reset", I would advise re-entering the modem's GUI and deleting the BT firewall. That will ensure it is not inadvertently re-applied. As far as I can tell, nothing else should need to be changed.

It does seem as if your problem is with the HH3A . . . I am surprised to read that they are "locked-down" devices. The HH3B most definitely is not locked and the BT documentation even has a section about their use on a non-BT Broadband Service.

Perhaps the best person to comment will be Asbokid . . .  :-\

Edited to add: Please post a link to the explicit instructions that you have followed when hacking the HH3A.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:47:59 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

f2richard

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

BK - Yes, nuts! I thought I'd corrected it before anyone saw that I'd reversed the speeds!

OK, I shall retry at some point today with the firewall disabled.

Fairly certain that the HH3A has to be unlocked in order to provide the ability to change the PPoE credentials... I followed the instructions on the psidoc website (http://www.psidoc.com/showthread.php/608-How-to-unlock-your-Home-Hub-3A)

Will keep you posted!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »

OK, I shall retry at some point today with the firewall disabled.

That will be a good -- but only temporary -- test. My reference to the BT Firewall, in my earlier post, was to ensure that entry was deleted from the options that could be selected. I would advise using the Standard Firewall option, as a matter of course.

I do not have any experience of a HH3A, only a HH3B. The latter does not require any hacking, the former may do so. I just don't know!  ;)

Thank you for the link, I shall read that as soon as time becomes available.

Now where is that Asbokid . . . ?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »

Sorry, no experience with the HH3.0a, either. There's a dismantled HH3.0a here, but it has never actually been used.

Does the HH3.0a definitely support PPPoE for VDSL2?  It's just that some versions of the HH2.0 do not, and it's conceivable that some firmwares for the HH3.0a do not either.

It's an interesting area for study.. How is pppoe implemented in this series of router (BT Home Hub[2|3a|3b] and Business Hub 3)?  For pppoe, there are several choices for Linux, and all of these routers run MIPS-Linux, so they must be using one of them. 

The authority on ppp for Linux, at least for layman's guidance, was always Bill Unruh. His FAQ is somewhat dated now - and doesn't say much about pppoe,  but it doubtless still useful for understanding the principles, and the Linux implementation.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:28:34 PM by asbokid »

f2richard

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

Does the HH3.0a definitely support PPPoE for VDSL2?

Yes, definitely. It's WAN port is labelled Infinity and the web interface talks about VDSL...

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »

Will you upload a screenshot of the HG612 GUI page showing the Basic|WAN|PTM settings?
Maybe the kernel logs on the HH3.0a can shed some light on why the ppp session initialisation is failing?
To test, you can run the ppp daemon(s) on a PC, rather than on the HH3.0a.
Andews & Arnold have a helpful wiki entry on PPPoE for VDSL2 [1]

good luck!

cheers, a

[1] http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/FTTC_Modem

f2richard

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »

Finally found a window where I didn't need internet for an hour or so and got it all working.

I found that even after the long reset that the HG612 wasn't in PPoE Bridge mode. Switched this on and connected my HH3 to it and it all sprang into life.  Happy days! a non-BT FTTC VDSL modem and draft-n WiFi network for a fiver (plus postage!)...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »

Excellent news, overall.

Puzzling about the failure of the HG612 to re-set back to PPPoE mode.  :-\

anything