Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A breath of fresh air  (Read 3862 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
A breath of fresh air
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:18:37 AM »

You may be just as delighted as I was to watch a long House of Lords session here.
However the interview lasts about 80 minutes hence see below.

http://bit.ly/GCDMg7

Kind regards
Walter

EDIT Below is an incomplete summary of some of the main points produced by an associate of mine who holds very similare views to my own on this sad and sorry débâcle.

Dr Peter Cochrane is a well known FTTP advocate and he made a perfect opening statement saying 2Mb/s is liking giving someone a morse key.  He went on to say that the UK is well down the fibre and broadband league table and that the minimum aiming point to remain competitive with the rest of the world should be 100Mb/s.  He mentioned that Jersey, a project he knows well, already has 1Gb/s FTTH and many other countries around the world have the same. 

Under questioning he said that broadband was a strategic necessity, more important than roads and railways to the future economy of the UK and reminded the committee of the days when the national telecommunications industry served the population, not self-serving as now with the shareholders the main beneficiaries.

He was asked what 100Mb/s does for an average household and answered with his vision based on developments in e-health, education and media consumption, that he saw as more and more on demand rather than broadcast.  (Interesting to note the sceptical body language of the two characters sitting behind him – could they be from Ofcom or BT?).  On the industrial front he sees a world that does not ship products, but where a manufacturing process is dispersed requiring the shipping of designs and solutions possibly from small companies, all needing very fast data transport.  He thinks that we should engineer for tomorrow, not for today’s outmoded processes.

He said that if we only go fibre half-way that in a few years it will need upgrading.  Good phrases like, “FTTC is one of the biggest mistakes, ties a knot in the cable and is unreliable and subject to the local copper/battery thieves.”  He said 4G would need 4 or 5 times more masts, and in any case will not do the job.

He recites his own personal battle to get fibre to his village – the usual story BT wanting hundreds of thousands and two private fibre circuits each within 0.5km, but not accessible. He says that no one is more than a kilometre from fibre and that this should be accessible.

He thought that the best use of the £530M public funding would be to invest in the small players with a cooperative business model to break the stranglehold of BT /Virgin Media and provide real competition and actually change the attitude of the incumbent(s).

He spoke strongly on the need for a level playing field, with BT wiping out smaller start-up providers as one of the worse things he has seen and said that this was unhealthy for progress.  He cited Cambridge Wireless as one such company where the incumbent had moved in and said that this was repeated behaviour. (I hope the committee can put two and two together from other evidence of this behaviour).

When questioned on how to do it he called for Government and regulators to be facilitators to enable small companies to secure investment for cooperative business models a la some American communities (and B4RN – but not mentioned).

Later towards the end, he stated that the BT business model  of squeezing out all competition was not very clever.

Lots of DIY engineering was discussed for various villages where committee members live – so it seems that they have all met the problem and the BT attitude.

The Chairman asked where the committee should go to see best fibre deployment.  Dr Cochrane said Scandinavia as a lot of DIY there and perhaps Singapore.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:12:47 AM by waltergmw »

smurfuk

Re: A breath of fresh air
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

A breath of stale air, perhaps? I seem to recall that Cambridge Wireless went bankrupt almost a decade ago, as much because of mismanagement as anything and pre- 21CN and VDSL roll-outs.

Government surveys (and the resulting policy) seem to disregard Fixed Wireless and non-BT/Virgin fibre solutions, which is hardly BT's fault. There is simply no national planning or co-ordination since Ofcom abdicate this responsibility. Government policy, such as it is, is the lowest common denominator - let them get on with it, bunging in a bit of cash here and there in a rather ad hoc fashion for a bit of cheap publicity. Who is going to build out an open network apart from BT (because they have to and have the economy of scale, and would that even be the case if BT Retail wasn't so successful?). Virgin (and their predecessors) haven't. Digital Region did and have struggled since birth. The piecemeal approach is the way we do it in this country, and there are just too many big vested interests for it to change.

The minions will quietly get on with it (and I say good luck to them), but they are a drop in the ocean.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:46:23 AM by smurfuk »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »

Excellent post smurf.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »

You may be just as delighted as I was to watch a long House of Lords session here.
However the interview lasts about 80 minutes hence see below.

http://bit.ly/GCDMg7

Kind regards
Walter

Sorry Walter but as their Lordships have deemed it acceptable to release that video in a proprietary format and then have the gall to assume it is sensible to have a website that tries to make one install non-wanted video playing software, they have shot themselves in their respective feet.  :-X

The phrase "Silly old buffers" comes to mind.  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cooperfarncombe

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »

WIndows Media Player worked for me.  Perhaps the silly old buffers will see the need for a coordinated national plan.    However, it's likely to be too late now for a change of policy- so we will continue to become less and less competitive.  As Peter Cochrane says - it is very sad. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »

I'm sure WMP will work for those people who have a Redmond OS system. I don't.  :no:

If the video was available to download, rather than the website attempting to decide what I should "have" so it can "play it for my edification", I am sure I could watch it using any of the Open Source players that are available to me.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »

Gentlefolk,

As many of us here are involved in cobbling solutions for the unfortunates, I believe it is important to understand the major points Peter Cochrane is making.
He has a very good pedigree to be making the points he does.
Whilst their Lordships are investigating other methods of broadcasting their content, the following link, amongst many more, might give some useful insights.
(It is a very welcome development that this information is now being made a little more accessible.)

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-03/22/uk-superfast-broadband-is-neither-super-nor-fast

Peter Cochrane describes 2 Mbps as giving the Nation a morse key and goes on to say that a minimum starting point for faster broadband is symmetric 100 Mbps.

This matter is so important that perhaps even pussies might nip round to a neighbour ? !!!!!!!

Kind regards,
Walter

smurfuk

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »

Peter Cochrane makes very good points, from a technologist's point of view. But, in the real world, who is going to pick up the bill?

And to those who point to the savings of the digital economy, well what "real world" services are you prepared to loose? Politicians aren't very good at what they do for sure, but they have to deal with a populace who always want to have their cake and eat it.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »

People also forget about the unintended consequences.

If you can do your work from home and work via broadband alone, then it will be far cheaper for your employer to employ someone who can 'work from home' in Calcutta than a UK person who 'works from home' in Canterbury.

So while it takes a lot of effort to move a manufacturing factory operations overseas, moving a man and a laptop overseas takes rather less.   This has all sorts of implications for those jobs whose output is digital in some form - such as designs as an example.

Encouraging the UK to move to a total digital economy will just mean its is even easier to offshore the jobs to places which are rather cheaper to employ people than the UK.
Its is also one of the disadvantages of the commonality of English round the world as a spoken language - that the job can be offshored and you can still speak to the person in Calcutta in English making it easier to do the offshoring.

anything