Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: It Doesn't Want To Start Up  (Read 15481 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: It Doesn't Want To Start Up
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »

My suggestion is to remove both Firefox and Thunderbird from the system before performing any recommended system "purification".

If at all possible, make use of IE to download a different browser. Then try an alternate browser. Finally download and install the latest (considered stable) version of Firefox and start it with all plugins, etc, disabled.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bayardo

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »

You are all starting to blow my mind :) ;). I'm working backwards at the moment from HPs suggestion of changing
the setting of network.http via about:config (that's within my capability :( ) and I'll use IE9 for a while to see how it goes.
Home page has been changed as well.

I have Ghostery & a load of other add-ons running, but disabling them seems to make no difference.

Thanks again all
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:13:45 AM by Bayardo »

Bayardo

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »

I have just pinged google & facebook - results attached

IE9 has been slow to open my home page, but not as slow as FF. The screen within the site (stock watch which provides
prices via Java) was slow to load, the Java logo & rotating pattern loaded a bit better than FF but still not instant as it should be.

One site I visit has been subject to the IE9 version of FFs "can't find what you're asking for", but displayed it on a second attempt,
which FF will often not do despite more than 2 attempts (I have to get another site & then return to my 1st choice).
I have come back across to FF to write this up & FF wouldn't initially put the site up & then gave me the same result when trying to get in to the forum.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

Those slower ping sites are similarly slow for me. What ISP are you on?

Just one thing to check in IE9 is the temporary internet files settings which can really slow it up as they are all loaded first. This can be set to a very large number sometimes but I always set it low - typically 25MB.
(Tools, Internet Options, General Tab, browsing history settings)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

The tests need to be performed immediately after booting or bringing the laptop out of sleep.. i.e. when Firefox is "playing up"...

IE9 has been slow to open my home page, but not as slow as FF. The screen within the site (stock watch which provides
prices via Java) was slow to load...

Off-topic, but guess you've heard that Google is starting a real-time price feed from the London Stock Exchange?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/21/us-londonstockexchange-idUSTRE81K0FI20120221

the Java logo & rotating pattern loaded a bit better than FF but still not instant as it should be.

One site I visit has been subject to the IE9 version of FFs "can't find what you're asking for", but displayed it on a second attempt,

That's not normal.. so two different browsers exhibit similar symptoms..  which vindicates FireFox, no?

Personally, I would use a Linux Live CDs now to isolate the problem a bit more..

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Booting Linux from CD will confirm whether Windows is at fault.  And if not, you could then look at the PC hardware and the router.  Hunch does suggest Windows though.

cheers, a

Bayardo

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »

The tests need to be performed immediately after booting or bringing the laptop out of sleep.. i.e. when Firefox is "playing up"...

prices via Java) was slow to load...

Off-topic, but guess you've heard that Google is starting a real-time price feed from the London Stock Exchange?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/21/us-londonstockexchange-idUSTRE81K0FI20120221

the Java logo & rotating pattern loaded a bit better than FF but still not instant as it should be.

That's not normal.. so two different browsers exhibit similar symptoms..  which vindicates FireFox, no?

Personally, I would use a Linux Live CDs now to isolate the problem a bit more..

Booting Linux from CD will confirm whether Windows is at fault.  And if not, you could then look at the PC hardware and the router.  Hunch does suggest Windows though.

cheers, a

Thanks

I prefer to stay away, as much as possible, from Google with the occasional use of Google Earth to verify the existence
or otherwise of a particular place.

Ubuntu hasn't been ruled out yet!!

On IE( I'm now getting:  "DB Error: connect failed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »

"DB Error: connect failed"
That's presumably an error message from the web site.

Bayardo

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

Could be. It was ok afterwards.

Bayardo

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »

The problem is not FF specific - IE9 is just as slow to open up my home page

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

Yeah, do give it a spin! For the price of a CD blank, there's not a lot to lose..

Ubuntu Linux has the biggest userbase (good for community help)  but Linux Mint is supposed to be nice as well.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

cheers, a

Bayardo

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »

Those slower ping sites are similarly slow for me. What ISP are you on?

Just one thing to check in IE9 is the temporary internet files settings which can really slow it up as they are all loaded first. This can be set to a very large number sometimes but I always set it low - typically 25MB.
(Tools, Internet Options, General Tab, browsing history settings)
Hi hp

I'm with ICUK

The problems I'm having are not restricted to my laptop. They do extend, but to a lesser extent, to my desktop
which I use in the evening. (It's in a bedroom out of the way of the cr*p that comes out of the TV!!!).

I'm starting to think that it's down to something on the line somewhere. I never had this sort of problem when I was with the illustrious TalkTalk on LLU, (I must be 1 of the very few of their customers who never had a problem with them).

I frequently run CCleaner to clear out the accumulation of temporary files etc
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:34:38 PM by Bayardo »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »

I'm with ICUK
I don't know them but they appear to have download limits and traffic management.
What package are you on? Could you have hit a limit and be throttled?

Bayardo

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »

http://www.icukhosting.co.uk/broadband/home_adsl.asp

I don't think they have traffic management.
The do have download limits, but only effective from 0800 to 2000. 100gb per month from 2000 to 0800.

I'm on 20gb per month, but so far have not even got anywhere near 10, so throttling isn't even on the horizon.
(I'm giving it another month to see how things go & I'll probably downgrade to 10gb and save £4 per month)

Bayardo

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »

Yeah, do give it a spin! For the price of a CD blank, there's not a lot to lose..

Ubuntu Linux has the biggest userbase (good for community help)  but Linux Mint is supposed to be nice as well.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

cheers, a

As a result of your enthusiasm  ;) for Ubuntu I downloaded it, but extracting an ISO file is something I haven't done
before & I'm wondering how I get it on to a CD.

Going back to the original reason for this thread, when I booted up this morning it all went like a rocket with out any delays.
Maybe there is something in my suspicion that it was down to the service rather than W7 etc?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »

this morning it all went like a rocket with out any delays.
Maybe there is something in my suspicion that it was down to the service rather than W7 etc?
You can get some very strange performance effects from electrical interference of an "intermediate" level but not high enough to actually cause a broadband disconnection.
What sort of router do you have and are you able to extract any meaningful statistics from it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3