Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Driver for WIN XP  (Read 5217 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Driver for WIN XP
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:16 PM »

I am struggling with my grandson's PC - he has managed to delete the drivers for the Firewire card.

OS is WIN XP SP3, and the card is a PCI-bus IEEE 1394 card.

Looking at t'Internet via Google and others, I find many people have had a problem with these drivers.  Anyone point me in the correct direction please?

Colin

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Driver for WIN XP
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »

Quote from: Microsoft
Windows XP comes with full support with IEEE 1394; you are not required to install any software. If you need to install an adapter, simply plug it in to an available adapter slot, and Windows XP completes the installation.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:07:33 AM »

I suppose you have tried a System Restore?

Other than that, have you tried running:
System File Checker (sfc /scannow)

In the RUN box on the Start menu, type, sfc /scannow
You will also need a copy of Windows XP in the CD/DVD drive for when windows wants to install or replace a file.

Probably not very relevant in this situation but there is a tutorial from the link below which explains how this works, also if you want to install the necessary files on a permanent basis, but due to the frequency and space it takes I don't think many people bother with it, but for troublesome PC's it can be well worthwhile because System File Checker can take a while to run and you will need to be at the PC to keep selecting the yes button especially if you have renamed the CD/DVD drive letter without changing it in the registry.

How to Run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) without a Windows XP disc
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3103.0

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »

Thanks HP and OF.

OF - System restore had been turned off (by the little monkey) and so not possible - was my first thought also.

HP - tried that and it looks for the drivers.  Maybe OF's suggestion of sfc will sort that out.

Again, thank you both for a prompt reply.

Colin

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:05 AM »

Have you tried using Windows Update to look for the drivers?

Or, more radically, reinstall the Service Packs (not sure which one introduced Firewire support though)?

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »

Check in Device Manager to see if the card is shown.
If so, select the update driver option.

If no joy, delete any reference to the card in Device Manager.
From Control Panel, select Add New Hardware and see if XP detects device  and allow it to search for drivers and  install.

Did you get the card separately or did it come with the computer.
Do you have the documentation and install disc?

exo

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

Do you have the documentation and install disc?
There probably isn't a relevant one.
I've got a couple of Firewire cards in XP systems and the only drivers that came with them were for other/older systems.
(You normally just see a TI device with a Microsoft driver in Device Manager)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

Thanks all for the responses - the machine is one of my old company ones added to over the years, and hence no drivers available on CD any more.  Can't remember when I added the card, but it is so that he can link a Sony camcorder and download/edit video taken on it.  It is my grandson's first PC and, as such, it wasn't a priority.  He is a "growing geek" who doesn't wish to play games, but get into some serious programming.  This machine was for Windows-based stuff - he has an old laptop of mine with Ubuntu on it for Linux-based stuff.  When available in quantity, I will be buying him a Raspberry Pi.  At 10 years of age, he ain't doing bad on the programming front!  :)

I followed the link that OF gave me and have now sorted it - thanks OF.

Colin

[EDIT - in device manager, it can be could be seen, but with the yellow warning triangle - no drivers.  ]

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »

Your welcome and glad to hear it's now sorted.

Yes in a lot of cases the files are stored on the PC but we just need to know where they are actually stored which in the tutorial it points the way to them.

When I used to play a lot (with PC's) I always used to set the SFC for automatic as it saved a lot of time.