Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My new toy.. an iPad  (Read 32528 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: My new toy.. an iPad
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »

I've got an i-pad for sale if anyone's interested

(Many thanks to Uncle Percy for doing the modelling)

That picture seems apt somehow... My challenge for this afternoon has been getting something called 'Popovers' to work in my iPad code.   :D

But the hardest bit about these Popovers, that needs lots of testing, is 'rotation handling'.  Maybe Uncle Percy better brace himself....   >:D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »

But the hardest bit about these Popovers, that needs lots of testing, is 'rotation handling'.  Maybe Uncle Percy better brace himself....   >:D

He's braced........ :lol:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IPAD-2-ALUMINUN-BLUETOOTH-KEYBOARD-STAND/dp/B005AF7GZM/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332030306&sr=1-3-spell

For the record, I went for one of these, and I just noticed I've received dispatch notification.   I'll be awaiting the postman with eager anticipation for the next few days...  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »

I've got an i-pad for sale if anyone's interested

(Many thanks to Uncle Percy for doing the modelling)

hahahahaha - very funny  :lol:

For the record, I went for one of these, and I just noticed I've received dispatch notification.   I'll be awaiting the postman with eager anticipation for the next few days...

Mines not quite the same, but Im well pleased with it due to its multifunctionally for use as keyboard,  a stand and although its not a proper docking station in the official sense, it easily becomes one...  and lastly its a fairly sturdy case.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »

Tbh I think I'm might like one.My mobile is a Samsung Omnia 7 with touch screen with Windows Phone as the o/s.I am very impressed with the touch screen,didn't think I would be but I am.The only downside is the size is a little small for old tired eyes  :oldman:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

Tbh I think I'm might like one.My mobile is a Samsung Omnia 7 with touch screen with Windows Phone as the o/s.I am very impressed with the touch screen,didn't think I would be but I am.The only downside is the size is a little small for old tired eyes  :oldman:

I freely admit, Uncle, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.  It was a means to an end for me in my app development hobby, as I wanted to be able to fully target iPad for my apps...I know that iPad users get a bit fed up with iPhone apps, that just look like a big iPhone when used .  If I ever get as far as publishing my apps, making them 'proper' iPad apps may even pay for itself in increased revenue.

... But I've been genuinely impressed, it works beautifully and most of what you want to do is quite intuitive.  A quick internet search will of course provide instant help if you're stuck.   Downsides are the obvious ones.. all too easy to make selections by mistake such as when passing it to somebody else to look at.  And in some lights screen does look messy with fingerprints, more noticeable somehow than on a small phone screen. 

Mines not quite the same, but Im well pleased with it due to its multifunctionally for use as keyboard,  a stand and although its not a proper docking station in the official sense, it easily becomes one...  and lastly its a fairly sturdy case.

The keyboard/stand arrived yesterday and very pleased I am.  I need to get used to what I can do with it, but it certainly renders it much more usable for apps such as email.  Value for money very good too, although I see it's gone up to £19:50 from the £16.09 I paid a couple of days ago.  Isn't it nice when that happens? ;D

The keyboard only covers the screen though, so I've also ordered one of these, currently at £2.99 & free shipping...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-inch-Hard-Leather-Slip/dp/B004075MTI/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1332331385&sr=8-16

That should make it a bit safer for transporting, especially the US trip... we'll take it on board as hand luggage of course, but even then the overhead lockers get a bit crammed sometimes.  I can't find the Targus case anywhere else at anything like that price,  I can only assume the 'mustard' colour is unpopular. But for £2.99 I can live with it, even if I do get a craving for a hot dog every time I use it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »

I freely admit, Uncle, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.  It was a means to an end for me in my app development hobby, as I wanted to be able to fully target iPad for my apps...I know that iPad users get a bit fed up with iPhone apps, that just look like a big iPhone when used .  If I ever get as far as publishing my apps, making them 'proper' iPad apps may even pay for itself in increased revenue.

... But I've been genuinely impressed, it works beautifully and most of what you want to do is quite intuitive.  A quick internet search will of course provide instant help if you're stuck.   Downsides are the obvious ones.. all too easy to make selections by mistake such as when passing it to somebody else to look at.  And in some lights screen does look messy with fingerprints, more noticeable somehow than on a small phone screen. 

Like you... it was the combo of my ipod and ATV that made me want the ipad..   I just seemed to struggle with the small screen too much.

I am impressed but there is one thing that REALLY niggles me and thats the lack of Flash.   I paid for the device - its mine... and I feel that I should be able to put on what app I want..  just because Apple has a huge problem with Adobe Flash...  shouldnt mean they should be able to stop me putting on Flash if I want to and understand the risks of doing so.  :mad:

I didnt realise quite how many sites I visit (such as the BBC and other information sites and institutions) use flash on their pages.

The keyboard/stand arrived yesterday and very pleased I am.  I need to get used to what I can do with it, but it certainly renders it much more usable for apps such as email.  Value for money very good too, although I see it's gone up to £19:50 from the £16.09 I paid a couple of days ago.  Isn't it nice when that happens?

Indeed it is... mine was £20 and Im glad you managed to get it in time at the lower cost. :)

The keyboard only covers the screen though,

Thats why when you mentioned taking it abroad I suggested you may need a pouch type.   The alum keyboard cases offer better protection than the snap ons, but dont do what pouches can.   

I've also ordered one of these, currently at £2.99 & free shipping...

Wow that is a bargain!   It has got to be the colour!   
That pouch looks like it may take the keypad case as well.   When you get it, will you please let me know if they both fit in as if so I may order one too.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »

Wow that is a bargain!   It has got to be the colour!   
That pouch looks like it may take the keypad case as well.   When you get it, will you please let me know if they both fit in as if so I may order one too.

I'm hoping it will, though won't be too disappointed if it doesn't.  I'll let you know.  I've just seen the dispatch notification, so it's in its way, not as I only ordered it at breakfast time.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:18 PM »

.  I've just seen the dispatch notification, so it's in its way, not as I only ordered it at breakfast time

... and still no sign of it , despite supposed dispatch by royal mail:(

Clearly it's too soon to complain, but it wouln't be the first time an amazon merchant had turned to have a suspiciously high 'lost in the post' rate.

Let's hope I'm wrong.  :fingers:

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »

Royal Mail isn't doing too well with on-time deliveries at the moment - I had a before 1pm next day delivery turn up 3 days late this week.  Contacted supplier who is tearing his hair out - over 50% 0f his "premium" shipments are delivered late at the moment.

Colin

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »

>> Royal Mail isn't doing too well with on-time deliveries at the moment

It doesnt... Im awaiting a parcel that I was expecting this morning from Royal Mail, but no sign, and Ive noticed of late 1st class can take up to a week. 
Which I suppose is better than the several pieces of mail that I never got at all just before christmas. 
They were from different people, one of them being kimi , another from my brother and yet another from an old school friend.  None of the items turned up.  I find it a bit strange that 3 people saying they sent cards that never arrived more than a bit strange.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »

Interesting comments, I've very rarely had a problem with Royal Mail.  I could put it down to good local posties but my stuff always seems to get here on time no matter where it's posted from, so it's not just the postie.

I did have a very annoying experience with one of these 'unbranded' white van deliveries last week.  The guy had failed to get a reply at the door of a neighbour down the lane, and he'd then tried other houses down the lane who were also out, til he got to me... by now about 300 yards from the addressee.  I signed and accepted, and he promised he'd leave a note to say I'd got it.  Needless to say, he never did leave that note, and I didn't have their phone number, so it was down to me to walk all the way down there to tell them I'd got their parcels, they'd no idea.

Anyways, thanks for the encouraging comments, I hope to submit a slightly sheepish reply soon saying my iPad case has arrived safe and sound   :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »

The RM 'Special delivery next day' service has a tracking system, and your supplier should have given you the tracking number. I've used this service three times in the last couple of months (twice to receive things and once to send an item) and all three arrived mid morning the next day, and the tracking information was up to date. So I'm always a little sceptical when suppliers blame RM - it's just too easy to do.

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »

My parcel arrived this morning. 
Didnt hear the bell at all..  but I had one of those red and white RM cards through the door saying "Look in Green Bin".
-----

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »

The RM 'Special delivery next day' service has a tracking system, and your supplier should have given you the tracking number. I've used this service three times in the last couple of months (twice to receive things and once to send an item) and all three arrived mid morning the next day, and the tracking information was up to date. So I'm always a little sceptical when suppliers blame RM - it's just too easy to do.

Agreed - the one that was late in coming went a very roundabout route according to the tracking info.  The supplier gives the tracking info in his shipped notification.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything