Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My new toy.. an iPad  (Read 32453 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
My new toy.. an iPad
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »

I've fancied one for some time, and the rare opportunity to get an iPad 2 at a substantial discount (thanks to the launch of iPad 3) was more than I could resist.    I've been  getting very anti-Apple recently, thanks to the poor state of some of their OS/X software.  Specifically the SDKs and development tools are unbelievably buggy, often crashing several times a day, with highly frustrating loss of data from any unsaved files.  But then I get my hands on some of the nicer hardware, like my new iPad, it's absolutely gorgeous and all is forgiven for a while at least.  I'm feeling quite quite smitten by the sheer beauty of the thing, and it's a real pleasure to use.

The 'old' iPad 2 is actually best for me as I'll be using it for app development, and it's better to test on the same hardware everybody else is using.   But the new iPad 3 has twice the screen resolution and is being launched at the same price the iPad 2 was a few weeks ago.  I reckon they're both now bargains, and the high-resolution screen must be a real winner.  I'd thoroughly recommend it, as long as folks are aware that it's NOT a PC, and no substitute for a PC.  Mine came from John Lewis, the same price as everybody else, but with an extra year on top of the basic one year's warranty.

I now need a case for it.  There seem to be loads of choices,  from the cost of a couple of beers up towards the cost of another iPad, and  with varying reviews on amazon (which I never trust anyway).  If anybody can recommend a case closer to the 'few beers' price, I'd be interested to hear.   :)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:27:13 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: My new toy.. an iPad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »

Does that mean you are now a "Fanbois"?   ;)

Colin

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »

Colin

I had to google for that.  Cor, I hope not    :lol:

Whenever I visit an Apple shop, I still feel it's a bit like visiting the temple of some wacky religious cult.  Hopefully, the fact that I still feel that way  means my brainwashing's not yet complete.  :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

Dual boot it with 'Linux' on it. ;)   :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:15:16 AM »

Dual boot it with 'Linux' on it. ;)   :D
:D
Actually though, one thing I like about OS/X is it's underpinned by Unix, the inspiration for linux.

I suspect (not sure) the same also applies to IOS as used on iPad, iPhone & iPod touch.
Certainly the filesystem as seen in the app's sandbox looks very Unix-like.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

What sort of case are you wanting?   Theres 3 main types, snap-on, pouch or hard cover?

The ipad, snap cases are good, my bro has one of those and they help protect it, but the Apple ones arent cheap for what they are.
There are cheaper versions on Amazon starting from around £7, but I cant testify to the quality.   My bro ended up getting a 'proper' apple one.

Im not sure if they are still available but I got a combo keyboard /metal case which was on offer for about £20.  It gives a bit of heavier duty protection, plus it acts as a nice docking station when charging.  The aluminium case does bulk the size of the ipad though if you are carrying it around, but its not that bad.

Id also recommend picking up another charger.  I find it handy to keep one in the bedroom and one in computer room... buts thats probably more to do with the fact the plug socket in the bedroom isnt very accessible and therefore its just easier to leave the plug in the socket and just attach the cable.  I just picked up one of the cheap imports and its perfectly fine.

-------------------

edit  found a link - This isnt quite the same as mine but it looks similar
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IPAD-2-ALUMINUN-BLUETOOTH-KEYBOARD-STAND/dp/B005AF7GZM/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332030306&sr=1-3-spell

magnetic snap on
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Black-Cover-Stand-Apple/dp/B005KJGAGE/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332030545&sr=1-11

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:54:05 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »

Colin

I had to google for that.  Cor, I hope not    :lol:

Whenever I visit an Apple shop, I still feel it's a bit like visiting the temple of some wacky religious cult.  Hopefully, the fact that I still feel that way  means my brainwashing's not yet complete.  :D

You've got it bad then - definite fanbois, worshipping at the Apple temple ...... poor 7lm, and he used to be such good guy too!  :'(  :lol:

Colin

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »

edit  found a link - This isnt quite the same as mine but it looks similar
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IPAD-2-ALUMINUN-BLUETOOTH-KEYBOARD-STAND/dp/B005AF7GZM/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332030306&sr=1-3-spell

magnetic snap on
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Black-Cover-Stand-Apple/dp/B005KJGAGE/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332030545&sr=1-11

Hmm, these both look interesting.  The keyboard stand is probably what I'd go for, but though I've been referring to it as 'my' iPad (and getting away with it) the fact is it's technically joint as other half & I bought it with shared pocket money.  She is adamant that she wants a minimal (size/weight), so I'm leaning towards the second.  I'd actually seen that on amazon and dismissed it because of one or two poor reviews wrt quality, but for the price it may be worth a gamble. 

But that solid-looking keyboard/stand does look good.  We'll be taking it on a trip to the USA in a few weeks, and it would be reassuring to know it was well defended in transit.  Looks stunningly good value, too.  I'm tempted be either (or both!) of these.

@kitz... have you established whether iPod & iPad mains chargers are interchangeable?     I notice that whilst we have one of each and they look 100% identical in every detail, there is some almost unreadable tiny print, grey on white, that suggest the charecteristics are slightly different... iPad specimen is 5.1V @ 2.1A, the iPod device reads 5V @ 1A.  I've not yet got around to plugging them in to one another's chargers.

The iPad does seem to be a bit fussy about charging, perhaps it's needs exceed normal USB specifications?  When plugged into the normal (3 year old Dell, XP) PC where our iTunes resides, it says 'not charging', whereas plugged into the Mac Mini it charges fine from the USB.  That does mean I don't need a charger for the computer room though, at least not while I'm 'working' at the MAC.  Which seems to be most of the time come to think of it, cripes, Colin may be right   :o

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »

>>>  I'd actually seen that on amazon and dismissed it because of one or two poor reviews wrt quality, but for the price it may be worth a gamble. 

Im also wondering if for £6.50 its worth a gamble - like you say its mixed reviews, but most of the poorer reviews seem to be more irked that its not the real deal apple because of its description.

>>> We'll be taking it on a trip to the USA in a few weeks, and it would be reassuring to know it was well defended in transit.

Going to upset the apple-cart (excuse the pun) here and say that perhaps a lightweight pouch type may be more appropriate.  The keyboard cases are very good, but the only thing is to keep them lightweight and slim, there isnt anywhere to store the cable.

>>> have you established whether iPod & iPad mains chargers are interchangeable?

ermmmm...  I didnt even know there was a difference.   :lol:

Ive been swapping them about and use them interchangeably without any problem.   I had bought a cheapy charger ages ago for my ipod and my ipad quite happily charges via that.  My ipod also gets plugged into the official ipad charger.

Ive charged my ipod using my bro's ipad adapter... and he too interchanges his adapters for ipod/ipad.  He's also recently bought one of thoses docking stations with speakers that does both.

>>> The iPad does seem to be a bit fussy about charging, perhaps it's needs exceed normal USB specifications?

I cant comment on that Im afraid.
I seldom, if ever, charge my ipod via USB - hence me saying I have a mains charger in the PC room. They sync wirelessly and about the only time the ipod has been attached via USB was when first setting it up and for a firmware upgrade.  Dangly USB cables out of the front of the PC isnt a good idea when you have an inquisitive Ziggy who thinks they are toys to be pulled on... which is another reason I got the mains charger last year for the ipod.
Because my ipod only came with USB charger and no mains..   I just went out and bought a mains charger that said ipod/ipad.

TBH Ive not had my ipad2 that long, it was an early b/day pressie taking advantage of price cut deal and Ive not attempted to charge it via USB at all yet.  Like you I wasnt too fussed about getting the latest and greatest.

The only thing I have noticed is that when charging via mains you can feel the ipad slightly buzz when you hold it in your hands.  I thought at first that I had a faulty ipad because this happens with the apple charger that came in the box...and was about to take it back. But if you google, you will see that just about every ipad2 seems to do this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:36:55 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »

Thanks for all the advice, Kitz.

I'd not noticed the buzzing but I'll know not to worry about it if I do.

I've taken all you've said on board, and I'm still tempted to go for the aluminium stand.  Other half likes to look of it more than I expected!

One consideration is that, because I'm using it for development, it spends most of it's day lying on the desk attached to the Mac.  That aluminium case looks like it would solve two problems....

1) The iPad can become a useful web browser while I work, thus allowing me to refer to online documentation.  In theory I can do that from another window on the Mac Mini, but the SDK software is so appalling that it takes about 30-40 seconds of disk crunching/swapping every time I swap windows.  And as often as not it just crashes when I do swap to another window.

2) With the iPad laid flat on the desk I'm paranoid that I'll suddenly realise I've laid a coffee cup on its screen and/or just spill the darned coffee all over it.  The alu case looks as if it'll make that a bit less likely.

In the dim and distant past, when I first set up home on my own, I  used to have was looked after by a highly individual kitten/cat for 8 years.  We no longer have any pets in the 7LM household, but I do recall having to make allowances, so I fully understand your comments re Ziggy  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:37:59 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »

>>>  it spends most of it's day lying on the desk attached to the Mac.  That aluminium case looks like it would solve two problems....

Yes I must admit that is one of the very handy features of the alu case and what I use it for a lot.  It keeps it safe when on my bedside table, as like you I also had the fear of an accidental glass of water situation.  When its in the PC room it makes it look like a notebook and really does looks quite smart.

The only slight niggle I do have, is that the charging cable that came with it for the keypad is only about 5 inches long.  Its USB which then plugs into the ipad plug or PC and its too pathetically short to reach a PC port. It can easily be resolved with a USB extension, I just havent got around to getting one yet though as it doesnt need charging very often.

>> I  used to have was looked after by a highly individual kitten/cat for 8 years. 

Yes I have to make allowances. :D  Zac was the sensible one whilst Ziggy is just so cheeky and is in to everything. 
Zac either used to sit still on my knee or stretched out in front of the monitor and not really bother me too much.  Ziggy now thinks he can have prime position.. only thing is he just cant keep still and the slightest movement is a game.  He's still a kitten and not quite fully grown yet, so maybe in time............
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

Yes I have to make allowances. :D  Zac was the sensible one whilst Ziggy is just so cheeky and is in to everything. 
Zac either used to sit still on my knee or stretched out in front of the monitor and not really bother me too much.  Ziggy now thinks he can have prime position.. only thing is he just cant keep still and the slightest movement is a game.  He's still a kitten and not quite fully grown yet, so maybe in time............

Yes, sympathies re Zac.  Ziggy sounds a bit like mine, though.  I remember one phase when she loved to 'play' a game that involved clutching hold of  any outstretched hands and then running away, or even just the same game with hands that happened to be resting on the edge of the sofa.  And her claws were so tiny (and so sharp) that it didn't hurt at all, it was only some time later that you really noticed the lacerations...   :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:51 AM »

her claws were so tiny (and so sharp) that it didn't hurt at all, it was only some time later that you really noticed the lacerations...   :)

Ouch! ^-^
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »

I've got an i-pad for sale if anyone's interested

(Many thanks to Uncle Percy for doing the modelling)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:57:52 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »

;D
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything