Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2 more email scams to watch for.  (Read 1567 times)

AdrianH

2 more email scams to watch for.
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »

These are doing the rounds and are catching people out as they use names and email addresses stolen from Hotmail/Live/Yahoo accounts that have been breached.
It's me, <first name>. I really don't mean to inconvenience you with my email but am sorry, I made a little trip to Spain, and I misplaced my luggage that contains my passport, cell phone and credit cards. I know this may sound odd, but it all happened very fast. I've been to the embassy, they're willing to assist me but I'm short of funds to pay for my passport fees and other miscellaneous expenses.

I don't have access to my bank without my credit card over here. I have contacted my bank, but they need more verification and time wasting for the past 24hours. Please can you lend me €900? I'll pay back, as soon as I get home.

Please reply as soon as you get this message, so that I can forward you my details to send funds via western union money transfer.

I await your response.
 <Full name>
Dear (name)
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,My family and I came down here to (Madrid Spain) for a short visit and i got robbed at GUN POINT last night at the park of the hotel where I lodge, all cash,credit card and Cell phones were stolen from me but luckily for me i still have my life and passports safe with me.

I've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and my flight leaves shortly from now which I'm having problems settling the hotel bills.The hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills,I'm freaked out at the moment........I need urgent help right now.

Thanks.
 (Name)
The names and email addresses used look very similar to people that have you on their contact lists.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: 2 more email scams to watch for.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »

Unbelievable. Literally ........

Why-oh-why do folk fall for these scams ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »

Actually I can see these being more convincing.. 
Ive had emails from friends who have had their hotmail accounts breached and at first glance I was like whats going on here, why are they sending me this. 
I could see someone like my dad being alarmed if he got something like that from someone that looked like me..  but I'd like to think that even he would think 'hang on a min' why is she contacting me via email and not via telephone.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »

I had the first one, supposedly from a supplier to my now-closed business.  He was sat beside me when I opened it and we both had a whale of a time leading them on.  The email address it was sent to was my old business email for which the hosting was just about to cease.  The night before it ceased, I sent the last email which said that I was coming down to Spain the next day to pick him up in my private jet ( :lol:)  Wonder if they waited at the airport for me to arrive?

Colin

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »

The night before it ceased, I sent the last email which said that I was coming down to Spain the next day to pick him up in my private jet ( :lol:)  Wonder if they waited at the airport for me to arrive?

Colin

hahaha   :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything