Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firefox update  (Read 9877 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Firefox update
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »

.... to version 11.0 for Windows users.  Contains an important security update, as does Windows Update yesterday.  Worth doing asap.

Colin

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Firefox update
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »

It's updated for Linux as well.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »

Thanks Colin  ...  I've reverted back to FF  and given up, I'm afraid, with Opera.  It kept crashing  and in the end I tried FF again and really do find it the best one for me. :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »

I have stuck with FF since launch and never been disappointed.  There are several add-ons I use, but not too many, which take it to a level that I found very acceptable.

Colin

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »

For those who also use Thunderbird there is a V11 as well.

Stuart
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:51:31 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »

Thanks Colin,updated to version 11.0  :)

Not be long till version 12.. ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »

Thanks Colin  ...  I've reverted back to FF  and given up, I'm afraid, with Opera.  It kept crashing  and in the end I tried FF again and really do find it the best one for me. :)

Odd, I have never once been able to get Opera to crash ...... Firefox on the other hand is always having issues and their security sucks in a huge way, this last release was delayed over a nasty they found.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

Firefox on the other hand is always having issues and their security sucks in a huge way

Perhaps that's because it's one of the most used browsers.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

But I'd like to see your source info. for making that statement as I've never had one security or operational problem in the 3 years of using it.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »

http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/ 

Interesting to see that their share is falling month by month too.  I gave up using Firefox as it had constant issues and updates and above all needs NoScript etc. to keep the browser safe.

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »

I have never had a problem with FF in all the time I've used it which is a few years now.  But, when there were a lot of new versions every other day  ::) and Opera was mentioned as being much better, then Chrome was lauded as being another excellent one, I tried both Opera and Chrome.  Chrome I didn't get on with because there are no tool bars and I just couldn't get used to that.  I quite liked Opera, but as I say recently it crashed too frequently.  I wasn't doing any thing out of the ordinary, reading the Independent or the BBC site seemed to really annoy it  ;D (mind you they annoyed me too  :lol:)  I even did the diagnostic and sent the subsequent report, only to be told there was nothing evident !! :'(    I didn't find any of them particularly faster than the other, that's not a problem as they all seem to zip along on my machine.  So, I made the decision to go back to what I knew best - FF.   I have never had a security problem with it, it has never crashed  ...   so that's it now.  IE by contrast I find  very tedious ... it seems to take forever to open and it has that bally Babylon search engine that rears up every time ...  I use IE ONLY when very necessary which is less and less.    I suppose it depends what everyone does on their machines really as to which suits who - variety is the spice of life  ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »

Babylon isn't part of IE, it is a nasty toolar/infection and that is why IE is slow to load, Babylon needs removing.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »

Strange comments about FF, I've used it for years on both Windows and now Linux and never had an issue. Yes the odd crash but in my experience it is usually caused by a website doing something which is not kosher, the web should be W3C compliant period - none of this IE proprietary stuff should ever have existed (rant off). The only security issue I have ever had with my PCs over many years was once when I trusted something from someone I knew and did not bother checking it - I've only ever done that once! I also use Thunderbird for mail and that has been rock solid as well. I dont like Opera, really because of its design and it has always seemed slow compared to FF. Chrome is not bad but I still use FF.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »

Without wishing to get into the politics of the browser wars, there's a security incentive in avoiding the critical mass..  Motto: keep away from the most popular software applications that will always be targetted by hackers.  For that reason, Microsoft Windows is a no-no for the security conscious, as is anything that ships by default, like Internet Explorer, or Microsoft Outlook, etc..

Does that explain the underlying problem with Firefox? It's not badly designed as such.  It's just that as it gained popularity, it fell into the cross-hairs of the same 'black hats' who nobbled Explorer.  Maybe Google Chrome, as it gains market share will suffer the same fate?  There have already been a few exploits for Chrome.  Google PR tried to turn them into positive events, by rewarding the hackers.   However, the truth is that the Chrome codebase isn't so solid after all.

Gecko, the underlying rendering engine of Firefox is blisteringly fast. It's all the chaff in Firefox that slows it down.  Several browser projects are based upon Gecko but don't have that Mozilla chaff and they 'go like the clappers'..

The Galeon browser was my favourite stripped-down Gecko-based browser project. It was brilliant.  Sadly, like so many open source projects it fell by the wayside once the developers graduated from university and moved into commercial work.   Even Galeon's load time was amazing. The browser binary was only a couple of megabytes, so it took milliseconds to load from 'cold' on a desktop PC.

All browsers are probably fairly secure, the problem is more often with the plugins - especially the closed source plugins for things like Flash.  That is a security nightmare!

cheers, a

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »

Adrian  Babylon isn't part of IE, it is a nasty toolbar/infection and that is why IE is slow to load, Babylon needs removing.

I know it's not part of IE   ... but that is the only browser it appears in.   I've removed it several times,using the special removal tool recommended;    it completely vanished from FF and Chrome ....   that's why I don't use IE too often  :'(

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

... this last release was delayed over a nasty they found.

Not quite true - the release was delayed whilst they awaited Microsoft releasing a security update for all Windows OSs that may have clashed with one of their own security fixes.  Again, Mozilla were ahead of the game in patching security holes brought about by holes found in the OS by the blackhats.

Colin

[EDIT - see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/13/microsoft_patch_tuesday_mozilla/  ]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:59:44 PM by camallison »
Pages: [1] 2