Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best Effort vs Download Speed question  (Read 2310 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Best Effort vs Download Speed question
« on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »

Hi,

I wonder if anybody can advise if the following is "normal":

I'm on BT Infinity 2 so 40Mbs (in theory) and line profile is 38Mbs. No wireless connections are being used.

Using BT Speedtester and selecting the "over 24mbs speed" option I consistently get results of between 34-37Mbs. Selecting the "diagnostics" option I see much lower "best effort" speed reported, often of around 11Mbs and never more than 15Mbs irrespective of time of day. Tonight at 5:30pm was fairly typical - 34Mbs download but only 13Mbs "best efforts".

I understand that "best efforts" is subject to contention etc, but is such a large difference between download test and  "best effort" results typical?

BBN

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Best Effort vs Download Speed question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »

I am having similar results on my line - it all started about 10 days ago.  A couple of days ago, I noticed a BT announcement (I think on the status page) that said they were replacing/adding to existing FTTC and FTTP equipment at "trunk" level to improve "customer experience" ...... whatever that means.  Maybe, now that take-up is higher, they are seeing contention at a higher level, especially if many have also signed up to TV too.

A more informed explanation may be along soon from one of our techies.

Colin

anything