Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: reset profile  (Read 5126 times)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
reset profile
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »

Hey people,

So i was wondering, when an isp resets or changes ur profile is there a period of time say the 1st 24 hours, when a system at the exchange or over the ATM network isnt active, or for the 1st 24 hours is active but then becomes unactive after?
Or for the 1st 24 hours, is ur traffic passing through a lesser number of levels or nodes?

I ask these strange questions because everytime ive had my profile switched from 1 thing 2 another (eg. 12SNR to 9SNR) for the 1st day ive had an outstanding connection (gaming), then days following same old lag.

Cheers.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: reset profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »

Every time your circuit is reset, it reverts back to 'Fast Path' connection method. Put another way, there is no Interleaving Depth applied, so there is no delay on your latency (Ping).

If your circuit is set to 'Automatic', the DLM (RAMBo) will monitor your line and if it deems it to be neccessary, will re-apply Interleaving Depth, and as such increase your ping time.

You can ring your ISP and request one of 3 modes ................

1) Opt-in --- This means your circuit will always run in Interleaved Mode (Provides better stability)
2) Opt-out --- The circuit always runs on 'Fast Path'
3) Automatic --- The DLM decides what's best for the circuit

If your live near-ish the Exchange, and your connection is good with minimal ammount of Errored Seconds (CRC's), then 'Opting out' may be a benefit to you ????

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »

What BS says applies to BT-based connections of course. If you have an LLU connection then different rules will apply.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »

(ahem) I was just about to type that last bit of info myself. Honest Guv.  ;) :)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »

Im always on fastpath and my ping remains the same. Its something else.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

If you say 'lag', I assume it's 'ping' you are talking about ....... hence the explanation about Fast/Interleaved.

Post your stats up and there may be some info to be picked out.

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »

yea sorry as a gamer any type of bad connection we just say lag when i suppose it cud be 100 different things. As i was saying in the 1st post, this short period of time just after a profile reset i could be playing some1 in germany and not experience any problems but then any other time i could be playing some1 on the same street as me and id gets this lag (bad connection). Its not so much of a delay its just asif small amounts of data is getting lost.

I dont believe my stats will help, i was just hoping some1 would have info on my original questions.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »

For completeness of the full picture, I shall just mention that kezzaman has a TalkTalk LLU'd line, just like GunJack and myself.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »

Is it at all possible that sometimes traffic could be passing through a different RAS/BRAS ?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »

Apologies for going slightly off topic here, but last night I connected a factory-reset 2Wire 2700 HGV to a talktalk service which uses the telephone number as the modem username. I was at first surprised that it synchronised and authenticated until I realised that the TalkTalk LLU probably use the phone number only for authentication. However the service did not provide Internet access in this condition. The resulting sync speed was far less than when using TalkTalk's own modem too.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »

Apologies for going slightly off topic here, but last night I connected a factory-reset 2Wire 2700 HGV to a talktalk service which uses the telephone number as the modem username. I was at first surprised that it synchronised and authenticated until I realised that the TalkTalk LLU probably use the phone number only for authentication. However the service did not provide Internet access in this condition. The resulting sync speed was far less than when using TalkTalk's own modem too.

A definite case of thread hi-jacking, Walter:P  (A TalkTalk LLU'd broadband service will require full_telephone_number@talktalk.net as the username and the corresponding password to obtain & authenticate a PPPoA connection.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »

Is it at all possible that sometimes traffic could be passing through a different RAS/BRAS ?

I'm sorry but I don't have that depth of knowledge about the TalkTalk system. Perhaps someone else may be able to answer?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »

I'm sorry but I don't have that depth of knowledge about the TalkTalk system. Perhaps someone else may be able to answer?

I cant say for sure, but I would imagine highly unlikely, the RAS is kind of like a convergence point and there are only a few around the uk.  Any bRAS profiles applied at the RAS are software figures applied to the hardware, so it should be the same where-ever.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something that perhaps occurs on the line at a particular time of day that is picked up by the DLAM and therefore the figure is adjusted accordingly after that.   
Full line stats should show if theres any errors etc that may be triggering this type of change.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

ust a thought...TT must use different RAS/backhaul points, as I get a variety of locations come up when I've been re-syncing before now....common ones are wrexham, chester, prestatyn and conwy (I'm in wrexham). Depending on which one  get connected to CAN slightly alter ping times to, say, speedtest.net servers......
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

anything