Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Strange "happenings" on Sky+ box before switchover!  (Read 3674 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Strange "happenings" on Sky+ box before switchover!
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »

Hi

I have Sky+ and built in Freeview on TV. We have the switchover coming in April and whilst there's more breakup of picture on Freeview at times which I think is due to pre-switchover "fiddling" with the transmitter, we are now finding problems with the Sky+ just recently.

There are some programmes that are being recorded and included in series link that we haven't set up, noticeably Countdown at 5.a.m. which we never record.  Strangely enough a neighbour who has a PVR Freeview box is noticing several random recordings coming up on his PVR that he didn't set up, even Countdown at 5.a.m.!!!  Very strange methinks.

I have a feeling that whatever they are doing at the transmitter prior to switchover could be affecting the signal that is doing strange things to the boxes.  All this has only started up in the last few weeks when I guess they are doing more work prior to changeover.  It seems too much of a coincidence to be anything else to me.  I mean my neighbour lives two doors away, he has a PVR freeview and we have Sky+.  We obviously are getting our signals from same transmitter and these problems have only started up very recently.  Is it possible for something like this to happen whilst work is being carried out at the transmitter, if not, what on earth is it do you think as it seems very strange to me?
Thanks in advance if you can throw some light onto this.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Strange "happenings" on Sky+ box before switchover!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »

I don't think the two things can be connected, Chrissie. I can't think of any way in which fiddling with the Freeview transmitters could affect the operation of your Sky box. I hesitate to suggest this (for fear of being laughed at :) ) but the recent solar flares could possibly have disrupted the satellite signal and caused these strange effects.

Another possibility is that a Sky+ firmware upgrade went slightly wrong. The reason I suggest this is that my Sky+ box locked up some time since 10:30 pm yesterday, and a couple of timed recordings didn't take place. Switching the box off and then on again a minute later restored normal operation.
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:47 PM »

Hi Eric

Thanks for that.  I can understand what you are saying and if it was only my Sky+ that was acting strangely then I would think that's what it was, but when a completely different media is also doing similar (PVR Freeview box) I have trouble with thinking it's just related to Sky.

Maybe it's one of those things that no one knows about or perhaps just the technicians involved...I know it sounds quite absurd really but the wierd thing is two different pieces of equipment and not even in the same house.... ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »

Perhaps it is one of those things which will need to be filed under "One of Life's Little Mysteries".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »

Perhaps it is one of those things which will need to be filed under "One of Life's Little Mysteries".  :)

You could be right Bcat lol... but it's really frustrating not to know  ::)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »

The digital switchover will effect Freeview, but not Sky since Sky is already digital so nothing is changing. Since Freeview and Sky are completely different technologies, I don't think the two could be related. But hey, it could be possible :).

anything