Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Test head driven PQ test.  (Read 15106 times)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
Test head driven PQ test.
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

I understand that this is a 'pair quality' test.

Does anyone know why it would fail with a "test status - Tone Alignment Failed" message ?

Its part of the BTOR closeout tests, the first one actually !
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Test head driven PQ test.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »

Hello Blackeagle. Welcome to the Kitz forum.

What with Bald_Eagle1, Black Sheep and myself as the grumpy old black cat, it seems you have chosen an appropriate identity!  ;)

As to the failure of the Pair Quality test, I assume you would like to know exactly what that failure message implies? I'm not going to make any guesses but i'll just say that perhaps Black Sheep will be able to educate us . . . when he next passes by.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »

Gentlefolk,

1.   To provide a little more information and a picture TCPR has discussed this subject on the TalkTalk forums, but without apparent resolution.

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/69/35/81503569/photos/BTs-Test-Equiptment-BTs-Test-Equiptment-BT/DSC00047.jpg

2.   This document mentions symbol alignment

http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-033.pdf

A.9.2.5 R-QUIET3/R-REVERB2 symbol alignment
[G.992.2] allows the ATU-R to shorten the last symbol of R-QUIET3 by any number of  samples to
obtain frame alignment between transmitter and receiver.

3.  This document talks about phase alignment on page 5

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sbws014/sbws014.pdf

4.  See Page 8 for various alignment topics

http://www.jdsu.com/ProductLiterature/DSAM_6000_datasheet.pdf

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:39:54 AM by waltergmw »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

I understand that this is a 'pair quality' test.

Does anyone know why it would fail with a "test status - Tone Alignment Failed" message ?

Its part of the BTOR closeout tests, the first one actually !

Hi and welcome.

I'm afraid I can't give a technical reason as to why the 'Tone algnment' failure occurs. What I can tell you, is that it only happens with EXFO testers, not JDSU's. As a JDSU user, I've never seen the message personally, but have had to ring engineers to ask why they haven't managed to carry out a succesful PQT ?? (as this is just one of the millions of measure we have to meet). Their reply is generally about 'Tone alignment' failure.

I believe there is a 'fix' in place now.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

Thanks guys, no doubt I'll be back with more queries when I can finally get my line FTTC'd !!  New cab is in & connected to PCP and judging by the fresh tarmac, connected to the mains.  Waits................

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:31 PM »

Jammy buggar  ;D Where r u based Mr Eagle ??

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »

East Yorkshire, exchange code is MYBNN for those that want to look it up.

Samknows has an RFS date of 01/03/12 but a friendly OR engineer who did an install a couple of weeks ago, said that the date for all the new cabs to be fitted was 12/03, tomorrow in fact !!

Some of the cabs are already live as a quick check of BT's database reveals my brother can get it now  >:(

Funnily enough (talktalk LLU line), if I check my address on the BT infinity page it says it can't find any details for my address.  Two weeks ago it was telling me I could only have BT total broadband !!  dslchecker still shows this though.

Not that I'm impatient or anything, but I have to admit I check every day  :-[  :D :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »

I reiterate ...... jammy buggar. :lol:

Do you know approximately how far from the Cab your house is ?? Or, have you already been provided with an estimated speed for FTTC ??

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »

No, I haven't yet got an estimated speed.  Sadly the cab is not as close as I would have liked as its 500-600 metres away.  Even so, I reckon I will still see a decent improvement, as I've currently got a 39dB line, which gets battered by noise in the evenings, a good 3-4dB of it, meaning I can't run any lower than a 9dB profile.  Currently I'm getting 9534kbps which I don't think is too shabby.  I'm hoping that most of this noise is generated on the run from the PCP back to the exchange.

If I can treble that, I'd be one happy eagle.  If I can get over 27, I'd be chuffed to bits. 

Just need really to decide whether to jump back to BT, or stay with TT.  Infinity option 2 actually works out £20 per year cheaper than TT's unlimited offering, but I'm out of contract with them so I should be able to negotiate a decent deal.  I'd probably get it quicker though by jumping back to BT and BT's upstream speed is really tempting.

Decisions decisions  :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »

It's nice to be in a position to decide whether to opt for BT's 2Meg, or 10Me Upstream Speeds.  ;D

Dependant on your cable poundage, 500mtrs of distance should see you above the 35Meg synch connection. Fingers crossed.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

Wow, excellent news.

I wasn't expecting it to be as good as that  8)

I know my brother, if he gets it, will be very close to the full 40 as its a good 80 metres to his cab  :lol:

I'll keep you all updated when I can finally order it as to what my estimated speed is and what I actually get when its fitted.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »

I have electronically measured (with a Tester 301C) the distance to the DSLAM in the FTTC at precisely 400 metres for my neighbours BT Infinity service. That tallies with the distance calculated by the use of a map & a map measurer and also with what Google Maps deem it to be.

Gordon's (my neighbour) line was regarded as an example of a good line, when we first started to quantify and obtain metrics for VDSL2 last year. So, for example, I attach images of Gordon's line when using the original 8c profile and the more recent 17a. All being well, I would expect you to achieve similar sync speeds . . . but just a tad less.

Take a look at the pbParams, the reported maximum rate and the current capped rate (lines 5 & 6) --

Code: [Select]
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 24809 Kbps, Downstream rate = 73424 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:      24809 kbps         73424 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        6.9 dBm          13.1 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  3.6     20.9    30.7     N/A    10.8    26.4    39.8
Signal Attenuation(dB):  10.6    20.1    29.7     N/A    10.8    26.4    39.8
        SNR Margin(dB):  23.4    22.0    22.2     N/A    15.8    15.9    15.8
         TX Power(dBm): -4.4    -26.6    6.6      N/A    9.8     8.2     6.7

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:17:05 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:50 AM »

Thanks b*cat, that looks really positive for me then.

I have measured the distance by car (its an import so the odometer is in Kms) at 600 metres and google maps walking directions also says 600m, so I'm taking that as a good ballpark figure for the distance.

When I get my install, I'm hoping to be able to get it done when I'm not at work and will be plying the OR engineer with tea & biscuits in the hope of getting some stats out of him.  Needless to say, as long as its the Huawei modem, I shall be getting my own stats  ;D

Having reviewed some other threads on here, I'm just hoping that theres only one eagle on here with a dodgy line !!  Time will tell.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »

Hi Blackeagle,

Having reviewed some other threads on here, I'm just hoping that theres only one eagle on here with a dodgy line !!  Time will tell.

Yes, hopefully it won't be a case of birds of a feather flock together  ;)

The installing engineer should check your new FTTC connection with a JDSU or similar meter.

Not all engineers actually let the end user see the stats, even though they know the OR HG612 & the ECI modems are officially locked.

A cynic could think that BT has something to hide about the state of its infrastructure  ::)

Anyway, I have attached a photo of a JDSU display at installation (not my own connection), that also displays the electronically calculated line length from the cabinet.

I do not have that detail for my own connection's installation, however it has been variously reported by visiting engineers as 820m, 900m, 1000m, 1100m, which suggests to me that (possibly intermittently) there may be a HR (high resistance) issue on my D-side cabling.
I tried, but failed to get last week's visiting engineer to run a TDR test that may possibly have confirmed an ongoing issue (or not).

Hopefully, your line length will be reported as the 600m you believe it to be.
You might have to specifically ask/insist that the engineer tells you.

If it is reported as much more than 600m (allowing for any usual detours/cables running up & down poles etc), then.......... join the club.

I for one will be very interested to see your installation stats along with details of any ongoing changes over the first few days/weeks/months.

Assuming you are a Windows user, I presume you already know how to grab the ongoing & snapshot stats etc. & if a Linux user, the snapshot graphs only (for the time being).

The Windows scripts apparently also work fine in a VM on a Linux box, but I have no idea how/if they work at all on a Mac.

Have any Mac users tried them out yet?
Cheers,

Paul.

Ottersnose

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »

Hi Blackeagle,

Yes, hopefully it won't be a case of birds of a feather flock together  ;)

The installing engineer should check your new FTTC connection with a JDSU or similar meter.

Not all engineers actually let the end user see the stats, even though they know the OR HG612 & the ECI modems are officially locked.

A cynic could think that BT has something to hide about the state of its infrastructure  ::)

Anyway, I have attached a photo of a JDSU display at installation (not my own connection), that also displays the electronically calculated line length from the cabinet.

I do not have that detail for my own connection's installation, however it has been variously reported by visiting engineers as 820m, 900m, 1000m, 1100m, which suggests to me that (possibly intermittently) there may be a HR (high resistance) issue on my D-side cabling.
I tried, but failed to get last week's visiting engineer to run a TDR test that may possibly have confirmed an ongoing issue (or not).

Hopefully, your line length will be reported as the 600m you believe it to be.
You might have to specifically ask/insist that the engineer tells you.

If it is reported as much more than 600m (allowing for any usual detours/cables running up & down poles etc), then.......... join the club.

I for one will be very interested to see your installation stats along with details of any ongoing changes over the first few days/weeks/months.

Assuming you are a Windows user, I presume you already know how to grab the ongoing & snapshot stats etc. & if a Linux user, the snapshot graphs only (for the time being).

The Windows scripts apparently also work fine in a VM on a Linux box, but I have no idea how/if they work at all on a Mac.

Have any Mac users tried them out yet?
Cheers,

Paul.

nice snips matey!
Pages: [1] 2 3