Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New TV...Plasma v LCD  (Read 15704 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
New TV...Plasma v LCD
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

We are at present looking for a new TV,and tbh I am doing plenty of head scratching as to what we should get.Is it fact or fiction that plasma screens use a lot more electricity than LCD

We have got a shortlist which comprises of a the KDL 46EX723 LED 3D TV.The Sharp 46 LE831E and the Panasonic Plasma TX-P42GT30.

My OH wants the 3D element,me I'm more bothered about sound quality,which looks like leading to surround sound speakers as well

I quite like the Sharp one,we have seen all 3 working in stores and tbh they all look good... ???

Any comments/advice would be gratefully received.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: New TV...Plasma v LCD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »

Two things I found with surround sound which I was not happy with was.

1) Having to have the volume turned right up to be able to hear/appreciate the sounds from the 2 arterial speakers.

2) Noise coming from places that are not within shot of the TV and talking in the background which made it very confusing, even now quite often I sometimes think kids are playing outside my window and all it is is the background noise of the TV.

The worst program I ever watched was a horse race, it was just so full of background noise for me it spoilt the race.
Although some things can be good such as aircraft fly-pasts and trains.

I just have it set on stereo now and find that more pleasing.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »

This query is as old as time itself.  ;D

I ventured into purchasing a new TV approx 3-4 yrs ago, and was befuddled as to which way to go ....... Plasma v LCD ??

I spent hours researching the different makes, models, etc etc ......... I also read lots of forums as well. The outcome ?? 50% preferred LCD, the other 50% preferred Plasma. It appears from them in the know, there's pro's and con's with both types.

I settled for a Panasonic Vierra 37" LCD. If memory serves,they'd only been on the market approx 6 months when I purchased one ?? Whatever, it's been great with no problems at all. Just another point though U UB, if you weren't already aware, don't just plump for the biggest screen that there is, there are reccommended viewing distances in relation to the size of screen that would be best suited. I say this because mey neighbour and good friend, Mr Gadget-head, had himeslf a 70-odd " TV and is the worst picture ever due to his seating being so near. Pixellated to hell !!!

Again, if memory serves (and mines awful), I think snadge (member on this forum) gave me some good pointers all them years back on the 'DSL Zone' forum. I think it was him ?? Good luck.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »

UB, if you weren't already aware, don't just plump for the biggest screen that there is, there are reccommended viewing distances in relation to the size of screen that would be best suited. I say this because mey neighbour and good friend, Mr Gadget-head, had himeslf a 70-odd " TV and is the worst picture ever due to his seating being so near. Pixellated to hell !!!

Thanks,a 46" is the maximum we would go to,and tbh I think a 40"/42" could be a better choice.

Both the Sony and Sharp of the models I have posted above do come in 40" ,while the Panasonic is 42".
The Panasonic does get some excellent reviews and comes with both Freesat and Freeview HD

At present the Sharp is just coming out on top for us,will still do a bit more research though and I hear that Sony will soon be releasing their 2012 models which could see older models drop in price.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »

I have a Panasonic and just HATE the EPG, (Program Guide) fortunately I did not buy the set or TBH as soon as I discovered the state of EPG setup I would have returned the set for another make or model.
The problem is nearly half of the screen is covered by a static advert and there is no way I have found of removing it.

At least with my LG set the EPG page gives a virtually a whole page full of program information.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »

I would avoid purchasing a plasma TV and go for a LCD/TFT version every time.

Why? Heavy duty REIN. Am I the only one to have read of the various cases where the turning on a plasma TV has effectively "killed" an xDSL connection?  ???

B*Sheep, is there anything recorded in the informal Openreach engineering notes regarding the interference caused by plasma TV sets, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback  :)

Just another question..at present we have Sky+ box,DVD player and CRT TV.

Will be getting new HD TV,+ Blu-Ray Player and speaker set.We also are considering upgrading to Sky HD box.

My question is...how many HDMI cables will I need.?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »

I would avoid purchasing a plasma TV and go for a LCD/TFT version every time.

Why? Heavy duty REIN. Am I the only one to have read of the various cases where the turning on a plasma TV has effectively "killed" an xDSL connection?  ???

B*Sheep, is there anything recorded in the informal Openreach engineering notes regarding the interference caused by plasma TV sets, please?

Not that I've seen B*Cat. Sorry.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback  :)

Just another question..at present we have Sky+ box,DVD player and CRT TV.

Will be getting new HD TV,+ Blu-Ray Player and speaker set.We also are considering upgrading to Sky HD box.

My question is...how many HDMI cables will I need.?

That depends on the TV set and how many HDMI ports it has, some only have one in which case you are going to need a splitter. Some kit will also have HDMI cables supplied.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

Yes it just depends on the TV set and how many port it's supplied with.

My:
LG set has 2 HDMI + 2 Scart + various other connections.
Panasonic has 3 HDMI + 2 Scart + various other connections.

But there are now HDMI connector strips around which work on the same basis as the old Scart connector box's, which is when all plugged in the TV detects either which connector is giving the strongest signal or obviously just the item that is turned on.

But by the time you have looped items through each other that will decrease the number of outlets/inlets that you will need.

IE.
SKY > Blu-Ray Player > TV = requires only 1off HDMI port on TV. (or Scart socket)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

All the tvs I have mentioned have 4 HDMI ports.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »

I have just bought a Panasonic 37 inch LCD with built in Freesat and Freeview and followed that up with a Panasonic PVR. In my researches I discovered that the Ham Radio fraternity have great problems with interference from Plasma screens hence the LCD. The advantage of buying two Panasonic devices is the Viera Link facility which lets you control both TV and PVR from the one remote. With three HDMI and two Scart sockets I can accommodate all my old (Scart connected) and (HDMI connected) new gear happily. The only downside is the complexity of the menu structure using Viera Link. We are getting to grips with it now and I expect any "Smart" TV will have a similar menu complexity. After a life in Broadcasting and electronics it's very irritating to not be able to grasp new procedures quickly. Still being retired I've got plenty of time!
Tony

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

Refresh rate another possible factor? My LCD is 100Hz and there are higher rates too. I was told the higher rates cope better with fast movement. Perhaps those with deeper knowledge than I might comment?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »

Refresh rate another possible factor? My LCD is 100Hz and there are higher rates too. I was told the higher rates cope better with fast movement. Perhaps those with deeper knowledge than I might comment?

Tbh I wouldn't consider one under 100hz,my existing JVC CRT is 100hz,There are LCD sets 200,400 and even 800hz.I guess it gets to a point where you would struggle to see a difference?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »

I have been told I should get a digital optical cable ...can anyone explain please.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NLWD5O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3JVFNKPMBMK7W
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything