Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: It’s not just Apple. Photos are vulnerable on Android phones, too.  (Read 2822 times)

AdrianH

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/android-photos/

Et Tu, Google? Android Apps Can Also Secretly Copy Photos  [By BRIAN X. CHEN and NICK BILTON | March 1, 2012, 1:08 pm ]

It’s not just Apple. Photos are vulnerable on Android phones, too.

As Bits reported this week, developers who make applications for Apple iOS devices have access to a person’s entire photo library as long as that person allows the app to use location data.

It turns out that Google, maker of the Android mobile operating system, takes it one step further. Android apps do not need permission to get a user’s photos, and as long as an app has the right to go to the Internet, it can copy those photos to a remote server without any notice, according to developers and mobile security experts. It is not clear whether any apps that are available for Android devices are actually doing this..........(more)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: It’s not just Apple. Photos are vulnerable on Android phones, too.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »

Frightening! 

I use to like Blackberrys - but ditched them after the shrill warnings from the Indian intelligence apparatus.   It turns out that the user's files in the device file system can be cached at RIMs servers.  No thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:29:35 PM »

I'm happy to be almost falling off the trailing edge of technology.

My mobile phone makes / receives telephone calls and is capable of sending / receiving text messages.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:51:13 AM »

I only use basic call facilities, I hate text messages, if you have something to say SPEAK , have a conversation it's so much better.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

I too hate Texting  .... I agree with you Adrian much nicer to 'talk'   - our mobile (yes we share one !)  would be considered as out of the Ark compared with latest technology   :D but it does what we want - namely, is useful for any emergency  ....   in the event that there  are messages on the thing when it's eventually turned on  ::) I just text back OK  .... I've confused many people with that  ;D   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »

I do text occasionally, when I want to get a short message to someone without interrupting them, but I agree that it's better to talk, most of the time.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »

It seems we are all in agreement with regards to mobile phones and text messages.  :)

My simple little Nokia phone knows nothing about photography, games or "app"s -- whatever that teenage fad may actually be.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything