Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Awful REIN Issues. Desperate for some advice.  (Read 9134 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Awful REIN Issues. Desperate for some advice.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »

Nice one. Please do let us know how it goes mate.

ubertank

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »

So, the engineer came out yesterday and seemingly has fixed my problem.

The REIN engineer arrived around 1pm. Although I had mentioned to BT that the problem didn't start until between 3.45 and 4.30, the guy said he had seen a little interruption here and there throughout the day and thought he'd come and have a look.  As there was nothing going on, I made him a cup of coffee and we sat around waiting for something to start.   After reading information online about the stringent time restraints and stuff, I was relieved to have a guy around who seemed happy to wait.

He was performing ongoing checks and at 3.45 the internet went haywire.  He started to check for REIN and couldn't find any.  He traced the line to the small box at the rear of the house and found that the issue was being caused by interference from someone else's broadband line.  Somebody was coming in, switching their router on (at the wall by the looks of it) and it was causing me to disconnect.

He changed a few wires around and it ran smoothly aside from a couple of disconnects.

What is strange, is that without a shadow of a doubt when my internet crashed I could hear a huge change in the noise through my radio at 612khz.  I was quite surprised it was nothing to do with any REIN interference.

Either way I'm glad to have the issue sorted.

Once again that's for all the advice on here.  It was much appreciated.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:55 PM »

So, the engineer came out yesterday and seemingly has fixed my problem.

The REIN engineer arrived around 1pm. Although I had mentioned to BT that the problem didn't start until between 3.45 and 4.30, the guy said he had seen a little interruption here and there throughout the day and thought he'd come and have a look.  As there was nothing going on, I made him a cup of coffee and we sat around waiting for something to start.   After reading information online about the stringent time restraints and stuff, I was relieved to have a guy around who seemed happy to wait.

He was performing ongoing checks and at 3.45 the internet went haywire.  He started to check for REIN and couldn't find any.  He traced the line to the small box at the rear of the house and found that the issue was being caused by interference from someone else's broadband line.  Somebody was coming in, switching their router on (at the wall by the looks of it) and it was causing me to disconnect.

He changed a few wires around and it ran smoothly aside from a couple of disconnects.

What is strange, is that without a shadow of a doubt when my internet crashed I could hear a huge change in the noise through my radio at 612khz.  I was quite surprised it was nothing to do with any REIN interference.

Either way I'm glad to have the issue sorted.

Once again that's for all the advice on here.  It was much appreciated.

Great news.

Sorry for misleading you about the '1Hr + travel' task time. That is the official line we have to work to, luckily most bosses will bend slightly knowing the intrinsic difficulties in locating REIN, and will allow more time. If you got a PTO to attend site, then their time is not scrutinised anywhere near what ours is.

Try as I might, I can't work out from your description quite what he has done, but that doesn't really matter so long as the fault is cured. Nice one.

AlexS

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

Could it have been a "split-pair" Black Sheep ?
What would happen in a split pair situation if both routers were on permanently ?
Slow broadband for both or would one connection be trashed like ubertank was getting ?
thanks
Alex

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

Could it have been a "split-pair" Black Sheep ?
What would happen in a split pair situation if both routers were on permanently ?
Slow broadband for both or would one connection be trashed like ubertank was getting ?
thanks
Alex

If it was a 'split pair', I'm assuming it was from the external block to the socket ..... ie- on the internal wiring ??? There's no mention of him climbing the telegraph pole.

I can't answer your question I'm afraid, as I don't know how the 2 circuits are wired. I'm guessing that just one dropwire feeds into an external block, and that both circuits 'Tee out' at this point. I need more clarity to get my head around it.  ???
Pages: 1 [2]

anything