Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dect Phones  (Read 7250 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Dect Phones
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »

A very nice man from Openreach came today and installed a new master socket in a different room.  This makes life a lot easier as I no longer have modem cables trailing across floors. 

We now (possibly) need a new phone.

Quite happy with a corded model except that the only socket is at the front left hand corner of the bungalow and is therefore some distance from the living room.  I do not want to fit extensions as all the floors are concrete and it would mean chasing up and down various freshly painted walls.

Thoughts therefore have turned to a Dect package.

I seems to recall that Dect base stations and ADSL routers do not get on if in close proximity.  Is this still the case, and is there a safe minimum distance between them, or am I  just being silly again?
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Dect Phones
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »

My Panasonic Dect phone is mounted within a foot of my router, an old Speedtouch 546, and I have never had a problem, from their close proximity that is. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen with some set ups but at least it's not inevitable. If they do affect one another increasing the separation to say 6 ft. would probably stop it.
Tony

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »

Hi FC,

I know of many configurations using DECT phones with no apparent detriment to broadband services where the usual ring-wire disconnections have been applied. I suggest common sense should be used and to separate cables and the base station from the modem as far as possible. Perhaps BS can provide more information from his vast experience of these matters ?

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »

I find it hard to believe that DECT phones themselves interfere with broadband, because the frequencies at which they operate are so far apart. What's far more likely is that some phones have badly designed or defective power supplies, and these ceratinly can interfere with broadband. Walter's commonsense suggestions sound good to me, and apart from that I wouldn't have any concerns about using DECT phones.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »

Perhaps it might be worth explaining just a little more about the common sense:-

1.  In "free space" a signal reduces according to a square law with distance; so even a small extra separation can have a useful affect.

2.  Good quality commercial equipment is used with a proper type approval specification to ensure that the signal is only transmitted on the allocated frequency.

3. All the components within the actual DECT phone are still working properly.

4.  All the wiring for the broadband service is properly installed.

Kind regards,
Walter

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I will now consult with the Domestic Authorities to see what she wants to do.  The Dect phone would probably be a triple handset model from Panasonic at around £4I think I will need a small shelf of the wall for all these bits.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »

I find it hard to believe that DECT phones themselves interfere with broadband, because the frequencies at which they operate are so far apart. What's far more likely is that some phones have badly designed or defective power supplies, and these ceratinly can interfere with broadband. Walter's commonsense suggestions sound good to me, and apart from that I wouldn't have any concerns about using DECT phones.

To answer Walter's query, I agree with the statement above. Any item that utilises a PSU, could (if defective in some way) be the more probable cause of 'noise interference'. If the DECT and associated PSU are fault-free, there is no reason for it to cause detriment to the DSL service. Can't say I've ever had an issue with them.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »

I will now consult with the Domestic Authorities to see what she wants to do.

I have just learnt a new synonym for Senior Management:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:55 PM »

Hi
quote In "free space" a signal reduces according to a square law with distance; so even a small extra separation can have a useful affect.

From a point source its inverse square .So double the distance then its a quarter of the strength. The thing is the definition of point source.
It can be said that inverse square law begins to apply when the first measured distance from source is about 10 times the physical size of the source .anything within that distance will not behave as inverse square .
Regards Jeff
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:20 AM »

My household has 4 DECT phones.  They are all  different brands that I've bought over the years so, although three of the four base stations are serving only as chargers, all four are still radiating.

I also have a long line (56dB attenuation), yet benefit a circa 4Mbit throughput at 9dB target margin.  That's some way above average.  My conclusion is, in my circumstances at least, DECT is no impediment at all to ADSL. 

I've tried switching the DECT stuff off of course just for comparison, it made no difference at all to ADSL stats.   I actually worry more about having mobile phone technology in (or near) the house, as it emits similar radiation patterns to DECT, but scaled up to hundreds (or is it thousands?) of times the energy levels of DECT.   

I've failed to find any evidence that mobile phones are detrimental but if you want to worry about stray radiation then, in my opinion, there's no point worrying about DECT until you (and your neighbours) first all get rid of the mobile phones, and other related technology such as smart meters that contain GSM modules....

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

Our peers keep telling us there's no need to be concerened with various 'emissions', am yet to be convinced fully.

The only slight issue you 'may' get with DECT, is wireless channel inteference, but again, this is as rare as Unicorn droppings. If you do experience this, just change your DSL channel to one of the higher ones.

Ottersnose

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I will now consult with the Domestic Authorities to see what she wants to do.  The Dect phone would probably be a triple handset model from Panasonic at around £4I think I will need a small shelf of the wall for all these bits.

By the way I think the Panny Dect bases are wall mountable so you may not need a shelf! (Bonus)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »

By the way I think the Panny Dect bases are wall mountable so you may not need a shelf! (Bonus)

That's right, they are. I've got a Panasonic set of four here (and very good they are too).
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »

+1 recommendation  for Panasonic.

However, it doesn't matter how many handsets I buy... I have four in active service at the moment and I still find that once in a while the phone rings, and I can'd find a single handsets within reach...  they get left on window sills, or in the garage, or dropped behind cushions, under coats etc. 

For that reason my last purchase was a Panasonic that included a corded phone attached to the base station so that we can always lay hands on ONE phone to answer as a last resort.  Can't remember how much more it cost, and don't even know if they are still available, mind you, but it definitely solved a problem.

Alternatively of course, if the scenario of lost handsets worries you, just keep a cheap corded handset plugged in somewhere, not a bad idea anyway in case you ever need to dial 999 to report a fire that's already fused the house electrics.   :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »

slightly offtopic, but dect can interfere with 2.4Ghz wifi signal cant it? - our old dect phone would mess up SKY MUSIC channels lol - but we recently moved the master socket into hallway and also have a new dect phone - the combination resulted in poor wifi reception for the PC which is a wall, stairs and 15-20ft away from router (which has dect phone right next to it), the laptop in next room is fine - I may try putting the router on bottom shelf (its a Netgear GT) to distance it from the dect - however we recently switched to SKY who gave us an 'N' router (in 'G' mode as the PC's usb stick is 'G' and so is laptop) and reception is much better (even though inSSIDer reports same 55-65db signal as Netgear) I do still get some acute latency bumps
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: [1] 2

anything