Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Avast 7 Final Released  (Read 3016 times)

AdrianH

Avast 7 Final Released
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index   8) 

Excellent feature set icluding cloud file checking and streaming updates to keep your definitions up to date. 

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Re: Avast 7 Final Released
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »

I have a number of issues with Avast 7 which did not occur with Avast 6.

Google Chrome is not under the protection of Script Shield as it was with Avast! 6.0.1367.  Google Chrome on Windows XP installs in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google.  Avast seems unable to see this so Script Shield does not protect Google Chrome on my Windows XP system.

Opera (11.61) crashes when a Java applet is run (latest JRE 6.31).  It works fine with Avast 6.0.1367.  This was an issue when JRE 6.31 replaced JRE 6.30 (see thread in 'Software') but was cured by clean installing JRE 6.31 after uninstalling JRE 6.30.  The issue has raised its head again with Avast 7.

Beware Avast 7 luring you into making Google Chrome the default browser.

Avast 7 shows much promise but I am not moving to over to it until the above issues are taken care of.  I like the streaming updates and the phishing protection is good and is a reinforcement of the phishing protection that OpenDNS provides to those who use it.
Windows XP

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »

I have a number of issues with Avast 7 which did not occur with Avast 6.

Google Chrome is not under the protection of Script Shield as it was with Avast! 6.0.1367.  Google Chrome on Windows XP installs in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google.  Avast seems unable to see this so Script Shield does not protect Google Chrome on my Windows XP system.

Opera (11.61) crashes when a Java applet is run (latest JRE 6.31).  It works fine with Avast 6.0.1367.  This was an issue when JRE 6.31 replaced JRE 6.30 (see thread in 'Software') but was cured by clean installing JRE 6.31 after uninstalling JRE 6.30.  The issue has raised its head again with Avast 7.

Beware Avast 7 luring you into making Google Chrome the default browser.

Avast 7 shows much promise but I am not moving to over to it until the above issues are taken care of.  I like the streaming updates and the phishing protection is good and is a reinforcement of the phishing protection that OpenDNS provides to those who use it.

Chrome ( and other browser) protection is selected within the settings section,see attached image.
Opera/Java show no sign whatever of crashing on either 32/64 bit Win7 systems here.
Chrome offered as part of the package .......... well, it seems that 90% of free softeware is packaged with other items these days. Yes it is annoying but avast clearly ask you on the first install page whether you want to install Chrome/set as your default browser.
They hastily removed that from the premium installs after a few of us vented about it being there  :D
Avast is fast and light, the streaming file reputation system and updates mean a much better protection is offered to all users which is the most important thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »

Hake, with reference to the "Script Shield not protecting Chrome" I am not sure what you mean.
I have installed the free version of avast7 on a test partition this morning along with Chrome browser and as you will see from the screenshot here Script Shield is doing exactly what it should.

(clicky thumbnail)

For Chrome/XP installs get your Chrome from Google Pack for a c:\Programs installation. ( http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=5e1c479011e250fa&hl=en )
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:22:51 AM by AdrianH »

hake

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »

It's simply what I have observed on a number of systems.  I don't know why it happens.  On some Script Shield works for Google Chrome and on others it doesn't.

I'm very pleased with Avast 7.  Systems seem to run more responsively.  It works well with Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5.2 and BufferShield.  No apparent conflicts despite all Outpost Firewall features being enabled.
Windows XP

hake

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »

Postscript: Avast 7 seems to cause Outpost Firewall real-time antispyware to cease to function.  Avast 6 does not have this effect (or perhaps the case is that Outpost Firewall does not sense an incompatibility).  Anyway, I am back to Avast 6.  I have also, at last, had confirmation that Outpost Firewall real-time antispyware must be operational for the Web Control 'Web Antivirus' (should really be 'Web Antispyware' for Outpost Firewall as opposed to Security Suite) to be effective.

In consequence of this I am able to benefit from Avast Web Shield, Network Shield and Script Shield (it works for me with Avast 6) AND Outpost Web Antispyware.  The whole ensemble works harmoniously.  I think that the Web vector is the next most vulnerable on a computer, after the user!  If two independent scanning engines can work together then I reckon that that is quite a good thing.  I work on the assumption that the more layers of protection there are, the better that is.

I will keep an eye on Avast 7 and try each update as it arrives.

I tried AVG 2012 but that is well outside my comfort zone.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:07:29 PM by hake »
Windows XP

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:49:17 AM »

DavidR (avast forum) runs avast v7 and Outpost Firewall, perhaps he can tell you how he does it.

anything