Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLink DIR-645 Connection to existing Network  (Read 6944 times)

scaley5254

• Just arrived
DLink DIR-645 Connection to existing Network
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »

I have an existing Home network both Wireless and Cat 5 and I trying to extend its range by the addition of a DLink DIR-645 wireless N Router as not wishing to my existing router but I am unable to get it to work with my existing Linksys WAG120N modem.
I have raised a call with DLink they have stated I need to set my current router to "Bridged" mode.
The DLink is currently set to PPPOE (which Dlink states should be OK)
When I set my WAG120N from PPPOA to bridged mode I lose any current connection to the internet
Any help out there thanks!

8~?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DLink DIR-645 Connection to existing Network
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »

Hello scaley,

Welcome to the Kitz forum. I've read through your question a couple of times and the first sentence has me scratching my head --

I have an existing Home network both Wireless and Cat 5 and I trying to extend its range by the addition of a DLink DIR-645 wireless N Router as not wishing to my existing router but I am unable to get it to work with my existing Linksys WAG120N modem.

It makes sense up to ". . . wireless N Router". At that point I mentally insert a full-stop. From "as not wishing . . . " to " . . . WAG120N modem.", I am not too sure exactly what you intended to mean.

I suspect that you really want to use the DIR-645 just as a wireless access point and have that connected to your existing WAG120N via an Ethernet cable. If that is the case, then the advice that DLink has given you is not correct.

Perhaps you would clarify your requirements, please and then one of us may be able to devise a route forwards. :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: DLink DIR-645 Connection to existing Network
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »

Set your WAG120N into bridged mode.  No NAT, no dhcp, no PPP authentication into your ISP, no nothing.  Just bridged.

Then set your new DIR-645 as a normal router, which also performs the PPPoE authentication to your ISP.  It will perform NAT and dhcp for the PCs in your LAN, so make sure you enable it to do so.

If that's not what you want to achieve and we are guessing incorrectly what you were thinking when you typed your message, then as burakkucat says post again with your requirements and we'll have another go.
Regards,
Mick