Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Friend's dodgy wifi problems  (Read 2637 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Friend's dodgy wifi problems
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »

Friend uses a "well known ::)) ISP, lives, say, 320m as crow flies from exchange, and uses a HP CompaqCQ70 Notebook. Router is ISP supplied D-Link DSL2680. He uses his computer less than 6ft from the router; more like 4ft and there are no impediments.

From what he told me, recently he has been unable to connect wirelessly. He has checked his configurations log ons etc. are correct. ISP changed channel from 8 to 9 with doubtful benefit. From no wireless it's now 60+% no connection, so he's still unhappy.

Can the many brains  on here come up with some suggestions I can put to him or at least reasons for his troubles?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Friend's dodgy wifi problems
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »

Run inSSIDer 2.0 to see what other wireless connections are in the area and using the same channels.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

I know some routers now come with 5GHz wireless (dual band) and most areas at the moment will have no others users on that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:23:08 AM by BritBrat »

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Friend's dodgy wifi problems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »

Thanks  :)for link. Thing is, we are some way apart so I am trying to help by phone and email. The other factors are that we are both rocking horses, he worse than I.

I've had a look at the utility as far as possible with out a wireless connection and doubt I could instruct him in its use. :(