Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paypal  (Read 4294 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Paypal
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

My credit card has been removed from Paypal as they claimed it was expired, it still has two years before expiry.

I'd had warnings of this via emails but ignored them as i knew the card expiry date was different to that on my card, so I assumed it to be a phishing scam.

I have now contacted Paypal (independent of the link in the emails sent to me.)
They say all the emails I received were genuine and it was I who had entered Feb 2012 as the expirey date.

I believed if I'd entered the wrong expiry date my card would not have been accepted, am I right or wrong?

Any advise would be helpful before I re-register my card.

Thanks in antiscipation.

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Paypal
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »

Paypal seem to have problems at the moment - they did exactly the same to me, and were two years out with the expiry date.  Yet, as you say, the card still goes through and so it must have been correct.  No explanation or apology was forthcoming.

Colin

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »

So I'm not alone with this, I'll think a bit longer about re-registering,

Peter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »

I finally closed my account and can live without eBay.   :o

Colin

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »

I can assure you expiry dates on credit cards are joke.

Let me put it this way, a friend of mine once running a business and dealing a lot with credit card numbers over the phone, customers would quite frequently give the wrong expiry date meaning payment would not be honoured, so basically we would just try a different date and most of the time it would work, now unless you are trying to say that the made-up date just happened to be the correct one, well that is always a possibility but this happened on hundreds of occasions, not just once or twice.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »

If you set up a continuous payment  system (DO NOT DO IT) you can not cancel the authority and even when your card expires they keep taking the money and there is nothing you can do about it.

You have to contact the company and get them to cancel.

Continuous Payment Authorities - Dom's top tips
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:15:54 AM by BritBrat »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »

........ and even when your card expires they keep taking the money and there is nothing you can do about it.
I'm sorry but where does it say that your card company is going to honour payments on a out of date card?

Card Expiry date = 00/00

That I find very hard to believe.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

The law recently changed on continuous payment authorities..

Now you can instruct your bank to stop the payment and it must honour that instruction:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?850-Continuous-Payment-Authorities-How-to-stop-them#

cheers, a

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »

So assuming the 2009 is the year and not part of the document number, then once more our so-called experts especially on the BBC get it wrong again.

Continuous Payment Authorities - How to stop them
The _______ firms will say this is not possible, but it is - in accordance with Regulation 55 of The Payment Services Regulations 2009:

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »

So assuming the 2009 is the year and not part of the document number, then once more our so-called experts especially on the BBC get it wrong again.

Continuous Payment Authorities - How to stop them
The _______ firms will say this is not possible, but it is - in accordance with Regulation 55 of The Payment Services Regulations 2009:

Yes, Regulation 55 of Statutory Instrument No.209 came into force on 1st November 2009.   [1]

cheers, a

[1] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/209/pdfs/uksi_20090209_en.pdf
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:23:20 PM by asbokid »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »

If you set up a continuous payment  system (DO NOT DO IT) you can not cancel the authority and even when your card expires they keep taking the money and there is nothing you can do about it.

You have to contact the company and get them to cancel.

Continuous Payment Authorities - Dom's top tips

This is what happened to couple on the BBC's Rip off Britain programme a couple of weeks back,she sent for a couple of samples of face cream.The company then kept sending them and billing them on a regular basis.Their bank was powerless to stop the transactions.The only way was for the sender to stop them.Eventually after getting trading standards involved they managed to stop it and get some monies returned.It was a nightmare for them

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:05:41 PM by asbokid »