Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virtual Banking Software  (Read 6295 times)

scottiesmum

Virtual Banking Software
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »

I'm having a problem installing the software to enable me to use a virtual bank card.  I know this is French software/French bank, but I'm sure the procedure is the same as the UK.   I have downloaded the ZIP file, unzipped it, but when I try to install I get the Microsoft Error pop up saying it can't do the necessary and has to close!  I have tried installing after disabling my AV and Firewall, same message!  I've spoken to a technician at the Bank service dept who told me to do what I'd already done, but with the same results.  He said I need to take my computer to a computer shop  !!!! :'(   My Adobe Flash Player is bang up to date  ....  I just want to know if  (1) has anyone used this sort of thing over there  (2) is there anything obvious that I should look at.   

Many thanks for any help (again  ??? ::)  )  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Virtual Banking Software
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »

Is this the same as online banking?

I bank online,but not heard of a virtual bank card. :shrug2:

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »

Sorry Unc, I'll explain  ....  instead of using your own Visa (etc) card, the French bank offer a service whereby you have a piece of software on your computer, and when at the point of purchase, you click on this programme, it then asks for your password (provided by the bank) then gives you a card number to use for the purchase. It's a one off number every time.  It's a system used here to attempt to stop card fraud on line.  Although I'm extremely careful where I buy from on line and use very few retailers, I thought it might be an idea as these 'hackers' get ever more devious.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »

We have something called Visa/Mastercard secure,which when you use your card to make a purchase,a pop up screen appears asking you for an additional password

http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/verified_by_visa.aspx

http://www.mastercard.co.uk/securecode.html

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »

Yes, there is something similar to that  too here Unc.   This is just another option.  I'm going to telephone our local Branch today and find out if there is a problem with this, it's in its infancy I think, and possibly teething troubles  ::)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

Although I'm extremely careful where I buy from on line and use very few retailers,

Me too,before I buy I always check out the site and make sure there is a Landline contact phone number and address,not just an email contact or mobile number.

But usually my purchases are confined to companies I have used before and trust, Amazon,John Lewis and M&S are the main ones I use.

Guesty2u

• Just arrived
  • Tweaker
    • Old Tweaks - Browse @ your leisure!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »

Whichever banking that you use, always ensure that you have an excellent firewall/anti-virus (updated always) installed first.
Read on the kitz site for recommended free software. AVOID McAfee/Norton at all costs - they are resource hogs and shall slow your system down severely!

With any banking, you should allow the site access, but do NOT ever allow pop-ups. Make sure that it is a safe banking site and not one linked to from any emails. NO real bank will ever email you. It may look correct, and mention/show the correct bank symbols etc but nothing good will come of it. Just call your bank first to check.

Good luck;with your banking1
;) Steven (aka Guest_Again) :D

Tweak!!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »

Whichever banking that you use, always ensure that you have an excellent firewall/anti-virus (updated always) installed first.
Read on the kitz site for recommended free software. AVOID McAfee/Norton at all costs - they are resource hogs and shall slow your system down severely!

Been using McAfee for 5 years now with no problems. :)

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »

I like the one-time cards, excellent idea.

Verified by Visa is garbage. Haven't checked recently but the only thing you needed to reset the VbV password is the date of birth of the cardholder. That's it - I kid you not. Wife didn't believe me so I reset her password while she watched.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »

Norton/symantec WAS a resource hog in the mid/late 2000's - that I fully agree.

It was then re-written totally and is now pretty well invisible in operation - and I'm using a 2005 dated computer with it on.
It also comes out well in the independant AV whole product tests when I last looked.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

I tend to avoid Symantec like the plague. They buy good programs (AtGuard being a prime example) and turn them into bloatware.

I use NOD32 Business Edition these days.

anything