Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extension woes and improving adsl speed  (Read 4411 times)

StKi1da

• Just arrived
Extension woes and improving adsl speed
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

I've been in our house for several years and never had cause to review the phone extension wiring.  It’s a pretty big house with thick walls and I have in the past had two wireless access points Ethernet together to get full coverage.  The master socket is in the loft and have never even seen it until now.  However, following some adsl issues I had reason to run a speed check from the test socket (which was a nightmare in itself - but it's done now).  So from the extension socket where the router is normally plugged - 1.2Mb down and 0.6 up.  From the test socket - 2Mb Down, 0.7 up.  Wow - this I want to make use of!

The house has a ridiculous number of extensions, and as each cable arrives in the loft, each has around 3m of cable coiled "spare" before joining into the system.  The system itself is appallingly wired up.  I actually suspect that the BT cable into the master box has also been messed with as the cable shroud ends about 20cm before the master box and 2 wires go into the back.  I've attached some pics and diagram.

Front panel of master box

One cable from front panel goes to a smaller box

and a simplified diagram

So I have thought about some options and seek advice accordingly.

Option 1.  Disconnect all extensions except the lounge, , remove the coil in the lounge cable.  Keep the router in the lounge where it is currently. Easiest option – but is this likely to increase speed?
Option 2. Install an NTE5 ADSL adaptor faceplate, move the router into the loft, use existing Ethernet down into the house and have a wireless access point in the lounge.  Currently no power in the loft – but I think I can fix this relatively simply.
Options 3. Install an NTE5 ADSL adaptor faceplate but turn the playroom extension cable into an ADSL extension and put the router on the end of that.  This brings the router into the house – but it’s actually separated from the house by the thickest walls and not sure if I’d then get any reasonable coverage.

Any other suggestions?  Should I start with option 1 and work my way down?  Even with the NTE5 ADSL adaptor – will the long lounge entension and the sky box extensions fro this one always mean I’m doomed to bleed away my adsl speed?  Many thanks for your replies.
StKi1da

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: Extension woes and improving adsl speed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:17 AM »

remove all extensions, move master to somewhere "inside", use DECT phones ?????

looks like you've got a major job on your hands there.....
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »

Hi St Kilda & welcome,

You could just start the operation by removing all ring wires** as described here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

and use a double filter dongle for all Sky boxes.
** You only need one twisted pair connected with the same polarity in pins 2 and 5 in every socket.

If that provides a reasonable speed increase you might leave the rest of your birds-nest alone !

If the improvement is not sufficient you could install an integral filter faceplate (ADSL Nation or Clarity) on your master socket and run a screened RJ11 cable to the most convenient point for your router.

Kind regards,
Walter

StKi1da

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »

Thanks Walter.  What do you mean by "double filter"? - is this a specific type of filter - or do you mean to "daisy chain" two filters on each of the sky extensions?

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »

Daisy chain.

Colin

StKi1da

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »

Thanks.  In the event I fit an nte5 adsl faceplate on the master box - would I still need to do this?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

Hi StKilda,

You could dispense with remaining ring wire removal but I would do so anyway.
As usual KISS applies ! Keep It Simple Stupid !

I've just suggested a few short cuts which might show what is needed and what could be left.

Kind regards,
Walter

StKi1da

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I indeed decided to keep it simple. 

I ditched the plethora of extensions, cut out the coiled "spare" cable, and re-wired the one line from the master into the lounge, removing the ring wire at the same time.  From the lounge socket, I now have one filter off this socket, to which the router is attached, with the phone portion feeding the dect phone and the two sky boxes.

This achieves 2.1 Mb at the router (ie as per the test socket).

Nirvana.   :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »

This achieves 2.1 Mb at the router (ie as per the test socket).

:silly:   :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »

nice result  ;D  It will also help later if you get a problem as it'll be far easier to troubleshoot with the simplified layout ;)

just out of interest, what are your line stats like ??
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

anything