Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Java Security Updates (Critical)  (Read 13662 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Re: Java Security Updates (Critical)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

They must have rushed this out.  I have found that on three systems (Windows XP, I cannot comment on other Windows) that Opera crashes with JRE 6(31) when a Java applet is run in it.  It worked fine with JRE 6(30 and previous).  This is not good.  Other browsers appear to function OK but this would suggest that all is not well with JRE 6(31).

:o
Windows XP

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »

Any URL's? Haven't had any issues yet on Win7.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »

My experience is the same as hake's............Opera crashing when trying to run Java Applet.

Example at my main genealogical site, Registrar General for Scotland at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I get this error........

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:45:20 AM by tuftedduck »

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »

No, problems loading Java on any site yet, visited several sites linked to your URL TD and the Java applets load fine. Obvious;y I am not logged in to see the same content.
Are you on 32 or 64bit?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »

Yes, browsing that site is ok until I try to "view an image" ie call up a birth/death/marriage certificate which (in Opera) is displayed via a Java Applet.

Am on 32 bit WinXP.

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

How on earth does one inform oracle.com?  Its corporate defences seem to provide no channels for the reporting of software problems.
Windows XP

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »

Yes, browsing that site is ok until I try to "view an image" ie call up a birth/death/marriage certificate which (in Opera) is displayed via a Java Applet.

Am on 32 bit WinXP.

I had a similar problem in Firefox where an attempt to open resulted in a "hang".  Had to CTR/ALT/DEL to task manager to close Firefox after that.  The update has cured it.

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

I am using Java version 7 and yesterday updated to version 1.7.0.3 from version 1.7.0.2

http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/

No problems noticed before or after the update.

Also when I updated something called Java FX 2.0.3 installed as well..http://www.java.com/en/about/ (scroll down to view)

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:15 PM »

I'm quite nervous about updates at the moment, following my latest problem  .... what do I need to do  for this one please  ?      I have actually clicked on TD's link to his Scotlands People site and it is displaying fine in Opera for me- does that mean I'm all up to date ?? sorry about appearing to be a Wuss, but as I say my recent necessary reformatting has made me nervous  :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »

I'm quite nervous about updates at the moment, following my latest problem  .... what do I need to do  for this one please  ?

You could always go to the official Verify Java Version page on Oracle's website to check the current version you have installed.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:31 AM »

Yes,just follow B-Cats advice and verify which version you have installed.

The latest one is 6 update 31,but there is also version 7 which I'm using.They are both ok to use at present but support for version 6 will cease in Nov 2012.Latest version 7 is 1.7.0.3

Waddler8 over @ the C/A forums has clarified this

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1336749#post1336749

(see post #39#)

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »

Thank you for all that help  :)    BUT  ....   I have checked which version I have  .... 6. 29   ...have found the update 6.31 which says the Windows online file size is 11 MB.  Proceeded to download  ..but the resulting download is only 889 kbs  :'(    I understand I will have to remove the existing 6.29 before installing the updated version, but surely there is something amiss as the one I will be getting rid of is 97.08 MB   ....or am I missing something ?  That download is from the Java site, the Filehippo site says it is 16.19 MB ..   I am totally baffled, hence  I've done NOTHING yet  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »

Kate,just download update 31 from Filehippo,you don't have to remove it,Java will do all thats necessary.

Make a note of the Java Plug in on Firefox,and then check again after the install just to check it

My Java (1.7.0.3) is showing 97.5 mb,all I did was install via Filehippo,I didn't remove anything before hand.

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »

:flower: :flower: Unc  ..  done and dusted   -  never felt a thing  ;D    Many thanks, and to puddykat too  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything