Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upgrade to wireless n router?  (Read 2385 times)

StKi1da

• Just arrived
Upgrade to wireless n router?
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »

I'm sure this must be a noob question - but here we go.

I have a 2Mb internet connection at the router.  I currently have a wireless-g router (Netgear D834G Firmware 1.02.02).

I have typically a couple of laptops / ipad  "active" on the wireless network although if everyone's on the network it occasionally rises to 3 laptops plus ipad and ps3.  I also have a media player into the TV and a separate NAS connected to the router via ethernet leads.  I have various open ports configured for gaming etc, all the wireless devices are configured to the secure wireless network etc.  I get a good wireless signal pretty much everywhere in the house.

My ISP has sent me a D-link 2680 n router.  This router has just 2 ethernet connections in the back (the netgear has 4).

In that a 54mbps connection exceeds my 2mb internet speed, and the services benefiting from higher speeds operate on a wired network anyway - is there any benefit in moving to the n router?  Would the "faff" of re-configuring the router and pc's actually be worth it?

Thanks

StKi1da

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Upgrade to wireless n router?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »

I think that the simple answer is 'no'. Depending on what version of the DG834G you have (*), the D-Link might deliver a higher connection speed (unless your connection is a fixed speed one), so I think it would be worth trying the new router for that reason, but I don't think it will improve your wireless quality. The only reason you might want to upgrade to wireless N is to speed up transfers between the different machines on your network, if you do any of that.

* If the DG834G is a v4, then there's unlikely to be any significant difference in ADSL performance between the two routers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:02:53 PM by roseway »
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »

is there any benefit in moving to the n router? 
If you don't like your neighbours it improves your chances of messing up their wireless connections by grabbing more channels.  >:D
(apart from that only what roseway said)

StKi1da

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »

Ta guys.  I'll leave what works alone.

anything