Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: More expense  (Read 27590 times)

scottiesmum

Re: More expense
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

Good to see you here this morning TD .... :flower:   I hope the elbow is soon better, resting it today will help.

Now if you were female you'd know that one  arm and strong teeth gives an alternative option to hanging out washing  ......you just have to make sure you don't strangle yourself   :D

Take care !  :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »

Oh dear TD what a mess Comet left you in and now you're suffering from doing their "dirty work" which you paid for and wasn't done  >:( >:( >:(

I hope you will soon be recovered and will definitely be doing something legal in nature to bring about a satisfactory and monetary conclusion to this dreadful affair.  Hope you make good note to the lawyer that you were incapacited through their dereliction of paid duty too!!!!   ;)

Take care and I hope you will let us know how you get on in every way.

best wishes
Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »

As to price promises, I have often wondered whether their goods are not often slightly different from those of smaller high street retailers, be it even a revised model number. Shaky evidence, maybe, but it does seem not easy to find identical model numbers elsewhere.

I'm sure you're right.. you're certainly not the first to make that charge..

Comet of old is long gone. Today, it's a ruthless, mean-spirited washed-out operation, run on a shoestring budget by shadowy private equity bankers.

Those bankers operate in complete secrecy, disguising their activities and their clients' identities, behind numerous layers of obfuscation. It's impossible to discover who ultimately owns Comet.  Once upon a time, you would simply consult the public shareholder register to discover the ownership of a company.   Not so with "private equity finance".

The private-equity buy-out of Comet could well be a wrecking exercise. A controlled ruination to eradicate it as a major electrical retailer. Comet's demise would greatly advantage the remaining electrical retailers, in particular DSG. (Dixons/Currys/PCWorld).

Maybe we should draw a parallel with FW Woolworths plc, which collapsed spectacularly in January 2009, resulting in 27,000 job losses.

Many see the demise of FW Woolworths plc as a deliberate wrecking operation.  A conspiracy to destroy the company since it was unwanted competition for other businesses.  In the months leading up to the collapse of Woolworths, its board took out massive loans (circa £500m) from GMAC, a shadowy cut-out of the equally dubious US private equity firm, Cerberus.

In Greek mythology, Cerberus is the three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hades or Hell. Appropriate in the circumstances. The terms of the GMAC/Cerberus loan were onerous and Woolworths' fate was essentially sealed the moment those loans were agreed by the board.

The GMAC/Cerberus apparatus was used in similar wrecking operations against a number of British building societies.  Overnight, the mutual sector lost half a dozen of its key institutions to the same wreckers from Cerberus.

The boards of some of Britain's favourite mutuals were sinking their savers' capital into American CDOs (collateralised debt obligations) sold by  GMAC/Cerberus.  No surprise that those CDOs turned out to be sour assets,  known in the trade as "liar loans".  Many of those loans that had been packaged up as CDOs were unsecured Yankee car loans. The packaging of the CDOs was done so as to disguise the true default rate of the loans. Default rates of 85% were the norm.   The CDOs were liabilities, not assets. The building societies frittered away their savers' fortunes by buying dodgy Yankee car loans!

The building societies which invested in those CDOs were essentially stitched up by GMAC/Cerberus. I would argue that the board members of those doomed building societies were wittingly involved in the wrecking operations. These directors were Boardroom Quislings.  Quite a few ennobled "Lords" and "Ladies" were amongst them.  The ultimate winners in this wrecking operation against the UK mutuals were the larger banks. The destruction of the mutual sector served only to consolidate the Big Banks' grip on the UK retail banking sector.

As for Comet.. we learn that its French owner, Kesa, sold the company in November 2011 for just £2, with a £50m bung to keep the pension fund from collapsing.  The new buyers were the private equity bankers Opcapita LLP. Opcapita are a highly secretive outfit who operate Hailey Holdings and Hailey Acquisitions, two private investment firms.

There's almost no public information about Opcapita.  According to the Daily Telegraph (9 Nov 2011), a Mr Henry Jackson, former banker at Deutsche Bank runs OpCapita, and is backed by John von Spreckelsen, the former executive chairman of Somerfield.

Whose capital are they using though?   We're not told.. They are very private bankers.

"The OpCapita boss's first private equity purchase was MFI, the troubled furniture store famed for its Boxing Day sales. He picked up the chain for £1 in 2006, taking on 200 stores and £51.9m of customer deposits.

"Jackson founded OpCapita's predecessor, Merchant Equity Partners, in February 2006 at the height of the credit boom with the backing of Goldman Sachs, Hilco and US hedge fund Cerberus. ...

The deathly hand of Cerberus is there once again...  Alarm bells should be ringing for anyone connected to Comet..

EDIT:... Another Cerberus casualty was Focus, once the second largest DIY chain in the UK.   Focus was also bought by Cerberus, for just a £1.  Two years later and the chain had collapsed into administration.   The largest beneficiary of Focus's demise was rival B&Q plc..  Did Cerberus deliberately wreck Focus?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:04:33 AM by asbokid »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »

I've been trying to level up this machine.

I have got it true fore and aft.

The bubble in my spirit level is two inches long, and it indicates that my side to side level is about 2mm (on the bubble) out of true.

Is that amount critical or is my level good enough ?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

Nice to see you back in better spirits than you were TD. I would say the machine is level enough.
The main thing with these machines is that all corners are on a firm footing so that thing doesn't rock in any direction.
It won't matter if it's not truly level as long as it is definitely not on a lean. If it is able to rock then when it goes into the spin cycle it can and probably will move.
Take care when doing that work as it is very easy to do ones self a mischief, good and proper.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »

I've been trying to level up this machine.

I have got it true fore and aft.

The bubble in my spirit level is two inches long, and it indicates that my side to side level is about 2mm (on the bubble) out of true.

Is that amount critical or is my level good enough ?

Not too critical,the main thing is all the feet are firmly on the floor,so that when the machine is running its not moving about

2mm is nothing. ;)

Oops,Colin beat me too it  :-[

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »

Thanks guys for you further help.

I have just had the machine out again and twiddled the feet a bitty more.......now spot on level and not a wobble in sight.

Will observe next time it is in use and see how far across the kitchen it gets... ;D

Phew..puffed out......will go and watch Coundown as a relaxer.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »

Levelling the washing machine up  :lol:.

[youtube]Gjdaqi5Q9dE[/youtube]

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »

:lol:

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 07:58:53 AM »

It seems Comet are really in trouble - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-17145977

Colin

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »

The firm said it was planning to close one of the two call centre sites as part of a restructuring picogramme.

A restructuring what?
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »

The firm said it was planning to close one of the two call centre sites as part of a restructuring picogramme.

A restructuring what?

It's a very small stripper that arrives on your birthday  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »

;D
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

:D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »

>> A restructuring what?

Well spotted  ;D

>> It seems Comet are really in trouble

was sold earlier this month for a token £2 to private equity firm OpCapita.

My thoughts go back to Asbokids earlier post  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

anything