Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speedtests  (Read 8451 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Speedtests
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »

Installed netmeter and peak download in the report is 3.74 MiB/s

3.74 MiB/s = (3.74 * 1.05) = 3.927 MB/sec
3.927MB/Sec = (3.927 * 8) =  31.416 Mbps

There should be an option in Netmeter to change the display unit.  I have mine set at kilobits per second (kbps).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

There appears to be something seriously wrong with the Glouster server @ speedtest.net - at least for me

I constantly get results similar to this:-

The Manchester server just doesnt seem to be able to measure my upload speed correctly.
- In fact none of the speedtest.nets tests ever seem to be able to record my upstream despite syncing at 2.6Mbps upstream - never have been able to :(

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:14:07 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Maturecheese

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »

Adrian,  I have around two and a half months left on the license so it might be worth contacting them but there's only so much head stress I can take :)

Bald_Eagle1,  Is the protection offered good enough with AVG? I have used it in the past.

I must point out though, when I tried the same process on my PC downstairs this morning (running XP on that one) there was very little improvement in the speedtests although the BT speedtest came in with a whopping 33581/6829.  I am running Vista 32bit on the other two and I am yet to try the process on the other vista machine.
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »

Hi

Whilst not being in the same league on a mere 8max connection I have found that using speedtest.net and UK servers ,Coventry,Gloucester ,Birmingham

A) quite often that My upload speeds are very low / inconsistent
with Manchester giving the widest variation

So I have gone around the world namely New York  gives much more consistent results ,

It does not give the very Highest readings(about 95%) but both the DS and US are more consistent.
Regards Jeff 

zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »

Bald_Eagle1,  Is the protection offered good enough with AVG? I have used it in the past.

It has caught a few spyware/malware items & quarantined them & manual ad-hoc checks after downloading something seem quick enough.

It seems fine.

I have used it for a few years now.

I tried Avast, but didn't like the feel of it (no particular reason).

It did slow down internet browsing (mainly Facebook) on Mrs. Eagle's laptop but a quick unticking of one option sorted that out.

Maturecheese

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »

Thanks all for the suggestions,  I'll change my av when it expires and see if it helps and meanwhile I'll keep my ear to the ground to see if any other ways to improve my broadband performance crop up.

Colin
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

Did you try a java based test such as the one at Think Broadband.

both the speedtest.net and bbmax speedtests are flash based.  The btw speedtest uses java so it would be intresting to see if its isolated to the flash based tests only.

Your result using netmeter of 3.74 MiB/sec - which is 31.4 Mbps would seem to show that the actual throughput is nearer to what you are seeing from the btw speedtest  leading to perhaps a problem just with the flash based testers.

edit

In fact a quick google would seem to show that kasperspy does seem to have a long standing issue with the flash based speedtests and can impair the results.... and show some very skewed and weird speeds when kasperspy is enabled.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:00:19 AM by kitz »
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything