Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Legal Rights! Are my in the right place?  (Read 2687 times)

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
Legal Rights! Are my in the right place?
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:01:34 PM »

Hi I’m still new to this forum so I’m not sure if I am in the right place. I recently posted a thread on here about how slow my speeds were, I finally found out I’m being capped the adverted speed was about 2.5MB to 3.0MB with the limit of the exchange being 4.0MB I cant get any better.

Well my speeds are so slow I can’t use my TV service which lets me download TV Shows, Movies, Pod casts, Music. It’s with channel 4 and it’s like a TV on demand service.

Well when I bought this package I asked will it work they said yes. So now in the mornings I can get what I want but about 2pm nothing everything slows down I get error messages check your connection or reset the modem its not the modem as I leave it like it is and its back working about 12pm and if I do follow the process it does not fix it.

I also pay for Napster which does not work in the evenings takes me 10 min to download one track, someone said it’s the P2P programs which will be affected when capped. So now I want to switch providers to SKY as they do not cap the internet connection but I have 7 months left on my contract I paying about £55.00 for the TV and Napster services and £22.00 for the connection. Do I have rights to break the contract because they are not offering me the service promised? I’m phoning them up this week and would like to know what to expect they will throw at me. Thanks for the help to anyone in advanced.  :)

Re: Legal Rights! Are my in the right place?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:51:21 AM »

Unless you specifically asked whether your P2P based programs would work at line speed and they said yes in writing then you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

If you have something in writing then it should be possible to exit your current contract wihout financial penalties being incurred by you. I wouldn't expect this to be a short process though - perhaps 2-3 months to sort it out. You should also be able to claim compensation for services you paid for but were unable to use - I know someone who got £350 out of Demon when they started rate-limiting people who exceeded their (undefined) cap.

You can of course apply for a MAC now and migrate away from BT within days. Regardless of contract terms/monies owed/etc BT cannot refuse you a MAC or prevent you moving your service.

PS - Sky WILL "cap" your service at about 40GB/month if you aren't on Sky's own network. ie if you still use the BT infrastructure that you currently do now.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:02:48 AM by rizla »

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »

I've just noticed what you say you're paying. £55? Is that per month or what?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:59:59 AM »

Hi, I,m with BT,when I signed up in March I was told I could get Bt vision.I can,t because I can only get 1.5 mb at the most.I didn,t find this out till august when I enquired about signing up for BT vision only to be told no your speed is not fast enough.When I complained and said (even though it is not in writing) that I was told yes I could get it,BT said I could leave without any penalty.I did not leave because my options are limited.Is it Bt you are with and using BT vision?

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:02 AM »

I think he's on about Channel 4's on-demand service which is P2P based. If he IS on about BT Vision and the service is too slow for that to work then he has BT over a barrel.

anything